Looking for adivce
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    06 suzuki boulevard s40

Looking for adivce

Recently I was driving home from shopping on my s40 and i was only a few blocks away when my engine just cut out while I was driving in 3rd gear...I had just downshifted into 2nd for a turn and it died...no sputtering, no coughing, no bucking at all. I drove 25-30 miles that day and it was 80 degrees out, I had filled the tank the day before so fuel wasn't an issue. I just bought this bike a couple months ago and this is the first time it died while i was moving, before it would occasionally stall out at a light or stop sign for no reason...Can anyone please tell me what is going on with this bike??? Also keep in mind I am a novice rider, but not entirely stupid about bikes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Most common causes are:
    Plugged tank vent. If that's the problem, it should start again after 15 minutes or so.
    Loose connections at main battery cables.
    Loose or out of adjustment or failing side stand switch.

After that you need to do some basic spark and fuel tests.......or get it to a bike shop.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    06 suzuki boulevard s40
    it restarted while on the fly, but continued to cut off after any downshift

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Same advice as above.

A healthy dose of carb cleaner in the gas might be in order too.

Where Am I ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Most common causes are:
    Plugged tank vent. If that's the problem, it should start again after 15 minutes or so.
    Loose connections at main battery cables.
    Loose or out of adjustment or failing side stand switch.

After that you need to do some basic spark and fuel tests.......or get it to a bike shop.
    This^

That happened to me as well but I hadn't used the bike in a while so I figured it had something to do with the fuel system. I had it tuned up since it was due anyway and they redid the jetting.

It ran perfect afterwards. Better than when I first got it.

Then, inexplicably, it would sputter then shut off when I'd rev it. I tried again then it totally died. Zero power. So electrical this time.

I charged the battery but nothing. Retraced the wiring and saw the ground cable broke. Fixed that and now I'm good to go again.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Boulevard C90T Boss
    It might be helpful if you provide a little more information about your bike. What year and how many miles on it?

My Bike(s)
    06 suzuki boulevard s40
    it's an 06 with little over 2k miles

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Boulevard C90T Boss
    Thanks...6000 miles on an 06 bike might mean that it was sitting for some time. Then,when you purchased it a few months ago and put gas in it, the bike ran, then stalled.

It might be that there was stale gas in the bike before and the tank might be clogged. Try running some carb cleaner- see if this clears it up. Also try something like Marvel Mistery Oil. That is sometime helpful in cleaning things a little

Good luck

My Bike(s)
    06 suzuki boulevard s40
    2000 miles not 6000, I have ran several tanks of fuel through it. Yes i agree the previous owner let it sit a while, but it is in excellent condition so they took care of it...it had 1793 miles on it when i bought it, so 1730 miles on a 8 year old bike is only 216 miles a year so yeah a lot of sitting..I'll get some carb cleaner tuesday when the bike shop is open..they aren't open sun or mon.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Boulevard C90T Boss
    Sorry, I meant to type 2000 miles.

Sounds like you've got a nice bike - enjoy the rides. Hope the cleaner works well for you.

My Bike(s)
    2013 Suzuki Boulevard C90T B.O.S.S.
    Good luck with the carb cleaner. Lors and Easy Rider mentioned checking the battery cables and I learned that the hard way. A few months ago my 2013 C90T began to have problems starting. At one point it kept dying within minutes after starting up. A friend told me to check my battery cables. I checked the connections and discovered a loose battery cable. It was a simple fix to a nagging problem. I hope your problem has a simple resolution as well.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard S50
    This happened to me last spring a couple times too stalling while in motion. I own a S50. Very nerve racking when cars are behind you. Sometimes at a stop light or down shifting that happened so my idle was running to low it was around 600-800 I believe, and my bike would just cut out. I bought the bike from dealership like this didn't realize until riding home I thought at first serious problem but when I turned or adjusted my idle to 1000-1100 rpm everything ran fine for rest of the year I believe my clymer book says 1200 rpm. This led me into buying a tachometer so I'll know where my rpm's are at all times.
    Last edited by Zombi_Bkr; 02-28-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Well of course carb cleaner won't help if crud in the carb is not the problem.

But deposits DO build up over time and a dose of cleaner every 3 months or so is a really good preventative habit to get into.

Sponsored Links