2005 M50 Advice
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: 2005 M50 Advice

2005 M50 Advice

Hi, everyone. New user here. I have a quick question about a M50 i'm considering purchasing.

Here it is: 2005 M50 with 3500 miles. $3000.

Visually, the bike looks to be in decent condition. The chrome needs to be cleaned, but it is nothing bad. It has aftermarket highway hawk turndown pipes which look nice and aggressive. It has been lowered too, which I don't particularly care for but it is okay. The electrical seems to be okay, as do the tires. It looks like the tank might have been painted, but I cannot confirm as it is at a used car dealership. There also seems to be a coating in the gas tank.

The first cold start was fine... I turned it off after it idled, but had trouble starting it again. It would only turnover with the application of light throttle. The same thing happened after I turned it off again to restart. The "FI" indicator was present, and the red check engine light was on when the key was in the ignition.

Any ideas what this is all about?

Thanks,
    LeMizz

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Some photos: (standard http format) 1drv.ms/1Nx0bef

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by lemizz View Post
    Hi, everyone. New user here. I have a quick question about a M50 i'm considering purchasing.

Here it is: 2005 M50 with 3500 miles. $3000.
    Well I paid $2800 for mine last year so I'd say $3k is a little high at this date. These things depend a little bit on location so ...you'll have to make a bit of a judgement call here about what it's worth to you.
    The "FI" indicator was present, and the red check engine light was on when the key was in the ignition.

Any ideas what this is all about?
    That's normal. Nothing unusual there.
    I'd be more concerned that the bike doesn't just start right away. I've never had trouble getting mine to start, I have a 2005 m50 also with, currently, 32k miles on it. Has it been sitting for a while? How often does it get ridden, how well does it look taken care of? I bought mine with 23k miles on it. You have to decide what it's worth to you but, I would not pay that for a lowered bike. One of the selling points of this model is that it's a cruiser with better than average cornering capabilities. Lowering the bike reduces cornering clearance and negates one of the good things about a Suzuki cruiser. You may as well buy a vtx or vstar. Both Honda and Yamaha have a better reputation for cruisers.
    This is my first bike and knowing what I know now, I would have preferred to buy a bike that's not been modified in any way. If you do run into any performance issues later that you need to troubleshoot, having a modded bike means more stuff you need to test and rule out. Unless those are mods you are specifically looking for, you should not pay more than what a stock bike is worth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Nevermind. I'm going to pass on it. Found other bikes well within that price range, especially one with some problems. I saw rust in the tank.

Thanks for your response! It helped me make my decision to pass on it.

I saw two other interesting bikes:

1) C50, 2006 with 6600 miles for 2800 (from a dealer that also wants 600 in "doc" fees and "preparation" fees on top of that. Tag not included.)
    2) C50, 2005 with 44k miles for 2200 (from a dealer that doesn't want additional fees). This one has highway bars, floorboards, saddlebags, passenger backrest, and a windshield. Garage kept. Excellent condition.

My question is, is a 44000 miles high for a 2005 C50? Or would you pass on that deal due to high mileage. I should add that this will be my first bike.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    I should add that this will be my first bike.
    How big a person are you ?

This might be too much bike for a first ride.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Thanks for your response! It helped me make my decision to pass on it.

I saw two other interesting bikes:

1) C50, 2006 with 6600 miles for 2800 (from a dealer that also wants 600 in "doc" fees and "preparation" fees on top of that. Tag not included.)
    2) C50, 2005 with 44k miles for 2200 (from a dealer that doesn't want additional fees). This one has highway bars, floorboards, saddlebags, passenger backrest, and a windshield. Garage kept. Excellent condition.

My question is, is a 44000 miles high for a 2005 C50? Or would you pass on that deal due to high mileage. I should add that this will be my first bike.
    The C50 is suzuki's touring model so floorboards, backrest, windshield, saddlebags should be standard. ER and I disagree about how small a bike you should start with

The C50 and M50 are great first bikes, enough power to do highway riding but easy enough for a beginner to control. If it's been taken care of, it should easily go 100k miles with standard maintenance (fluids and tires). Make sure you feel comfortable with the weight of the bike and the riding position.
    I think the first dealer is asking too much. For the 2nd, 44k miles isn't bad but I'd probably pass on it unless he'll come down a bit on the price.
    If you don't mind being a bit more patient, I think you can still find a better deal. You may find a better deal from a private seller so look at what's out there and see what it's actually selling for. You should also check kelley and nada book values online. Nada values are slightly higher and tend to favor the dealer but it still gives you an idea if they're asking too much or if they're close enough that you have room to negotiate.

I started with a 2007 C50 this year and I love it. It's a big and heavy bike, but I'm a big and heavy guy.

I've gone down with it once already. I was barely moving, but I was pulled off the road on sand . I barely touched the throttle and that back tire came right out from underneath me.

For me the C50 seems to be a good fit. I've been on a few smaller bikes and I couldn't say it was comfortable for me. If it had been, I would have started smaller.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50-Black
    Do you like the touring look of the C50? If so, then it's the bike for you. I personally like the sportier styling of the M50. Otherwise, they are very close in what they do. I'm 6-1, 250, and my M gets up and goes with no problem, and it's big enough for me. I have a larger touring bike for long rides, but the M is perfect for a couple of hours or commuting.

I don't see a problem with that 06 for $2800... especially with such low miles... and that is exactly what I would offer. If they won't eat the add on dollars then WALK! It's the time of year when they should WANT to get rid of a bike instead of keeping it all winter.
    Last edited by Dirtball; 11-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Paul
    2006 M50 Black... Roadburner 2.5 in Street Pro exhaust in black ceramic, Saddleman Explorer seat, first gen Shapemaster chin spoiler, blacked out dash and air intake, John's forward control kit, Memphis Shades Hellcat windshield, Kuryakyn Dually Iso pegs
    2001 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer 1100... Memphis Shades fairing, trunk, factory hard bags, Mustang Wide Touring seat and pillion, Protec driver's backrest, modified exhaust, J&M CB

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtball View Post
    I don't see a problem with that 06 for $2800... especially with such low miles... and that is exactly what I would offer. If they won't eat the add on dollars then WALK! It's the time of year when they should WANT to get rid of a bike instead of keeping it all winter.
    Yeah, my issue wasn't with the 2800 sticker price, it was the extra 600 added on. I probably should have been more clear. So he's really paying 3400 for a bike that isn't worth more than 3k. You can definitely find a better deal from a private seller in that price range.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    I don't agree with doc fees at all, but on a used bike, no way!
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

Sponsored Links