First time Bike Buyer has questions on the Suziki CT 1500 cc , please.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    going to buy it very soon

First time Bike Buyer has questions on the Suziki CT 1500 cc , please.

This Lady who drove the Bike has it for sale at the KBB retail value and I think she will negotiate quite a bit downward. ITs a 2007 Ct, 1500 with minor scratches on the front and rear fenders (most will rub out) , decked out chrome, new Corbin seat , fuel injection , runs very smooth , stock everything except for seat , 17,000 miles on the odometer, full service done recently to it by a Dealer . Shes got physical problems which is why she is selling it. SHe used to take it from N.W. Florida to KY at least once per year. Her asking price is $5,000

1. How is the reliability ?
    2. Is it noted for fluid leaks if driven a few times per month ?
    3. How often do u go on the oil change , trans oil, clutch fluid, brake fluid ?
    4. How difficult is it to change the fluids yourself from underneath without a stand ? There is an owners manual.
    5. If you own a CT, why do u like it ? What don't you like about it please ?
    6. Any helpful advice or tips ????

THanks, Dave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I can answer a couple of your questions.

Oil and transmission are common so its only one change....I used to do mine every five thousand or so but you can stretch that a little esp if you use full synthetic oil....be aware car types will probably have a friction modifier in them and must not be used in most bikes....the wet clutch runs in the same oil as the motor and gearbox. A filter change every second time was what I mostly did....if the bike is run hard or for long trips more frequent changes are better.

I would say from general experience most Jap bikes are fairly reliable as long as they are regularly maintained and not abused...the most important of these being oil changes.

Brake and clutch fluid are yearly items in most service manuals...I have usually done them on a two year basis. It is also recommended that the lines be replaced after a couple of years...I have yet to do that... my last bike was five years old and still had the original lines fitted.

On your machine you may find the oil and filter can be changed with the bike on the side stand...the Hayabusa could be done in this manner and it was recommended to be done so. The oil level sight glass was to be checked with the bike in an upright position on flat ground...a bit difficult if only one of you is doing it....but not impossible. Pay particular attention to what it says in the manual for your machine. You may find you have to remove some things to gain access to the filter...I did a work around for my Hayabusa and was able to do it without taking the fairing off as recommended.

On some Suzuki shaft drive models there was a problem with water ingress at the rear shaft seal...this caused the drive pinion to rust and strip. Yours may not have this problem but a simple check of the seal and possibly dismantle of the drive to repack it with grease may save future troubles. A specific forum will be able to advise you in this matter.

I would say there should be zero fluid leaks for many years to come...if you have any concerns about not riding it often enough a simple solution would be to run the engine and slip it through the gears and even let it roll a few meteres in each gear once every week and a half or so. One thing to get, if this is the case, is a battery tender to keep the battery fully charged. All batteries do not take to being discharged well and can be ruined by having this happen.

If you do this makes sure the engine heats up sufficiently to burn any condensation off...in a warmer climate like West Aus this took only five minutes yours could take longer but do not avoid this or you could have internal rust forming. Also be aware of any condensation forming in your fuel tank...some people use a drop of methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol in the fuel to absorb water...I have never done this and cannot say if it works.

good luck, stay safe and enjoy.
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 11-02-2015 at 07:48 PM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Harley Street Bob
    Welcome aboard, do you have any experience riding?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDave View Post
    6. Any helpful advice or tips ????
    Welcome.
    That sounds like a pretty good buy but..............
    It might be too much bike for a new rider.
    Tell us a bit about your experience on a motorcycle or bicycle recently.
    And how BIG a person are you ?
    Have you taken any new rider courses yet ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    going to buy it very soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Welcome.
    That sounds like a pretty good buy but..............
    It might be too much bike for a new rider.
    Tell us a bit about your experience on a motorcycle or bicycle recently.
    And how BIG a person are you ?
    Have you taken any new rider courses yet ??
    No experience with a motorcycle. Have don't tons of bicycle riding. Well coordinated person ; own a 1970 four speed manual trans Corvette. 6'3" / 255 lbs. Strong. Age 61. Drives very responsibly . Enjoys going slower than normal. Want to go on long trips of at least 250 miles from home. Bike has new Corbin seat which I think is elevated over the stock seat. Very comfortable to me. Want to take new Riders course right after purchase. This Bike im looking at is in near excellent condition except for some minor scratches to the tops of each fender , slightly worn saddle bags on the corners up near the top. Both tires are going to need new ones soon. I figure painting and new tires is going to be close to $1,000 so an offer of $4000 seems reasonable to me. SHe wants $5000 but its on consignment so shes got to pay a selling fee to the Dealer.

Dave.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDave; 11-04-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    The c90 is a good bike for the kind of riding you want to do but I would strongly recommend taking the MSF course before you buy. It's great experience and a bargain for what you will learn.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Well there are some pluses and some minuses in your situation.
    Your size is a plus for a larger bike.
    Your age and inexperience are minuses.
    It is possible to ride a big cruiser TOO slowly.......and a big bike tends to teach you bad habits.

I strongly suggest that you do the MSF course BEFORE you get a bike.

I also suggest that you seriously consider a smaller bike......in the 1000 CCs or less category as a "training bike for the first 6 months or a year. SERIOUSLY.
    The Honda Shadow 750 lineup also makes good training bikes.

If it is not likely you will ever ride 2-up much, I think a Vstar 950 or Vulcan 900 or similar might be a better long term bike even.......given what you told us.

The most fun I've had on road trips was on a 250 and a 600.

P.S. How far northwest in Florida are you ??
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 11-04-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links