2005 c50 burned down project
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    none yet

2005 c50 burned down project

Hey guys, looking at my first bike and a Winter project. 2005 c50 for $500 on Craigslist. Add says it was intentionally set on fire by pouring gas on the seat. Okay, so after I realized my jaw was hanging open at the thought of deliberately setting a bike on fire I started looking at the pics. The engine is still clean and shiny, looks like the fire burned the seat, battery, and wires - everything plastic is gone from rear of tank back. Paint on the frame from the rear of fuel tank back is gone and has surface rust. Rear tire needs replaced. Drive shaft does not appear to have heat discoloration. New wiring harness comes with the bike. Clean title.

My view on the thing is that the the rear fender assembly can be chopped and aftermarket signals, brake light, license plate holder and solo seat added. I figured battery cables, battery, mono shock assembly and possibly some rear facing fuel hoses would need replaced, frame sanded and painted, fluids changed, etc.

My question is what am I missing? I am pricing parts on ebay but I don't want to miss anything expensive. Are there frame bushings that would be melted? Thank you!

I have no welder, very lilttle money, but I do have elbow grease, time, and some mechanical skills.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2006 suzuki c50t
    I don't know how long ago you posted the thread, but Im curious to know how many miles are on the bike.
    I may be looking for an engine, since the engine and trans are always sold as one unit, and I have a problem with my trans.
    Let me know your location, and a possible price on the engine. Im in Toms River NJ.
    Ronzo

My Bike(s)
    2009 c50
    The engine emileage is the key.If it has 30,000 or more you will spend as much as buying a complete bike to get it right.It would make a heck of a parts bike though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quite a few people criticize me for being "Mr. Negative" but I don't think this would be a good deal.

The electrical might be the worst part but the engine might be seized or some other major issue might be present that caused the incineration in the first place.

It will be a $500 gamble......and might cost more than that to get it running.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    If you like working on stuff Give him half of that.If he is not willing to take it walk away.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

My Bike(s)
    none yet
    Easy Rider I have read many of your posts while doing research on this site and I can say, without a doubt that you ARE Mr. Negative! But, your opinion is valuable as is all of the others here who take the time to help and advise. Thanks!

My Bike(s)
    none yet
    Quote Originally Posted by crusierlover View Post
    The engine emileage is the key.If it has 30,000 or more you will spend as much as buying a complete bike to get it right.It would make a heck of a parts bike though.
    I was reading about your issues with the new bike. Hope the dealership straightened that out for you.

I will talk to the seller tomorrow regarding mileage and several other questions. I guess my main concern is what could be damaged by heat besides what I've mentioned. What lies between the engine and rear tire I am missing?

The bike is over 3 hours round trip so I am here asking boulevard owners to try to fill in some blanks. I am comfortable with the work but this is my first bike. I'm 6'2, 34" inseam so the $500 1985 Shadows arent gonna work. Just finished MSF am looking for a cheap 98 or newer cruiser that I can manage spending on and get ready for Spring. This is my latest CL find but such a unique issue I wanted to ask the advice of some veteran riders.
    Last edited by Zagg; 11-11-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagg View Post
    This is my latest CL find but such a unique issue I wanted to ask the advice of some veteran riders.
    You need a veteran mechanic more than a veteran rider.

Only a tiny number of riders have ever tackled a project like you describe........and a small sub-set of them have ever actually taken it to a successful completion.

Good luck.

My Bike(s)
    none yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You need a veteran mechanic more than a veteran rider.

Only a tiny number of riders have ever tackled a project like you describe........and a small sub-set of them have ever actually taken it to a successful completion.

Good luck.
    Although I appreciate your advice I have not asked for it. What I asked are fairly specific questions regarding the parts located on a 2005 c50 between the rear of the engine and the back tire besides what I already named. Aside from the question regarding what parts heat would damage which would be opinion I am simply looking for a parts list that differs from my own. If you do not have experience in this area of bike rebuilding that is okay.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagg View Post
    My question is what am I missing?
    Just for the record.

Maybe I mis-understood.

My Bike(s)
    none yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Just for the record.

Maybe I mis-understood.
    If you read the previous paragraph you will notice a parts list. The question of "What am I missing?" is the follow up to the parts list. I am not interested in a discussion of your interpretation of my post. I am attempting to gather a parts list. Do you have one?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    I am trying to help by providing information that I think could be of value to you.
    It may not be exactly what you asked for though.

I hope you find what you want.

Sponsored Links