my debaffle mod to Dr Bob's or Honest Abe's instructions for S50 Intruder Suzuki
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S50

my debaffle mod to Dr Bob's or Honest Abe's instructions for S50 Intruder Suzuki

a few months back I ran across an S50 owner (on another forum which is currently not working... for some reason) who went a little different path from Dr. Bob and Honest Abe's modification to the S50 / Intruder exhaust. While I know that many on the forum are not "fans" of the Honest Abe mod I do plan to open the exhaust on the stock pipes of the S50 a little bit. My understanding of Honest Abe's mod is drilling at least three holes around the center pipe punching through at least two plates AND then drilling out the center pipe as well thus by passing the baffles completely. This guy I reference posted pictures on the site and some owner even did a cut away version of the stock pipes just for kicks to show us all how the S50 / Intruder baffle design works. This owner did something that I wanted to try before drilling the 3 holes and punching the center out which gives the bike a stock appearance and not as many holes. (some people just use a sledge hammer and steel pipe / rebar and just beat it through the plates!). His method was to drill out the 3 rivets and pull / remove the baffle out of the pipes and then drill out only the back plate letting some of the exhaust go down the middle of the pipe. He said he used a slide hammer to pull the baffle out but I can't see what he hooked it to. He showed pictures but as mentioned above the site is no longer alive. So I wonder if anyone on here had any photos of the baffles out of the pipe already (S50 or Intruder VS800) and knew if the baffles are welded into the pipes beyond just being held by 3 rivets? A good diagram of the baffle or pictures would be great so that no one drills into the glass pack portion of the baffle. I have found ONE picture of what I think is the baffle but I can't tell if the plate behind the rivets comes out separate or is welded to the pipes inside etc. I would like to try this because if you don't like it you can always weld a plate at the very end of the baffle and put it back to stock. Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my debaffle mod to Dr Bob's or Honest Abe's instructions for S50 Intruder Suzuki-baffle.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerChick08 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Yes. I've only seen/heard two S50s with de-baffled or aftermarket pipes and neither sounded good.
    Both were just raspy and sounded kind of like a big lawn mower with no muffler.
    I don't think a little v-twin will ever sound as good as a big one.

I personally don't care for modded pipes on much of ANYTHING but that's for another thread.

P.S. If this is your spouse's bike, you had better be sure she approves before you start tearing things up.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-11-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S50
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Yes. I've only seen/heard two S50s with de-baffled or aftermarket pipes and neither sounded good.

I personally don't care for modded pipes on much of ANYTHING but that's for another thread.

P.S. If this is your spouse's bike, you had better be sure she approves before you start tearing things up.
    ITS NOT ME who wants the loud pipes
    Believe it or not it is her. She thinks it needs to be louder so that is why I am trying to do a slight mod first by only drilling the back plate in the baffle letting some of the air flow come out without going through all the baffles. I have heard the Dr. Bob and Honest Abe methods on video as there are may guys out there who drill 4-8 holes through the end cap. I just don't want to go that far yet. Almost every owner that has done the full mod have still reported no drop in performance and I'm only drilling the one 1/2-3/4" hole down the middle. That continues the "lollipop" effect for the bike and provides some back pressure.
    This is what she wants and I want her to be happy (and if I do it the way I plan I can weld it back up). After 33 years of marriage I'll give the advice my pastor once gave in jest.... "you can be right... or you can be happy, but you can't have it both ways". I'm drilling soon.
    If anyone can locate photos of the baffles removed so I can see the plates behind the end cap plate and how it comes out with a slide hammer I would appreciate it. I just wonder if they are welded in....

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester

Had 02 Volusia with Cobra pipes. Everytime I started my bike my neighbor thought I was running my riding mower.

tarheel

Seat Tester
    800 Suzy Volusia with Cobra pipes

tarheel

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S50
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzall View Post
    800 Suzy Volusia with Cobra pipes

tarheel
    I love the look and sound of Cobra's. I have V&H on my Yamaha Raider but I'm not spending the money on the S50 Boulevard and that is why I was asking for help on the forum for a cheap way to lower the tone and increase the sound a little by doing Dr Bob's or Honest Abe's modification. I hear the comments about it sounding like a lawn mower. I just wanted to pull the baffles and drill out the back hole so that I could weld the hold shut and it would look stock (actually it would be back to stock) if I changed my mind. NO one seems to have any pictures or knowledge of getting the baffles out. I drilled out the rivets but could not get the baffles to "slide out" so I put the rivets back and have decided the best way to solve this cheaply is to install some inexpensive slip-on universal mufflers. I have seen almost nothing on the boards about doing it to Suzuki. I have ordered a pair and may post the process and sound. After I found the pair I wanted I did a search on youtube and found a Triumph with the same universal mount slip ons and it sounds fine to me and this is what I am expecting. Similar engine and I think they look great.

Seat Tester
    I love the look and sound of Cobra's. I have V&H on my Yamaha Raider but I'm not spending the money on the S50 Boulevard and that is why I was asking for help on the forum for a cheap way to lower the tone and increase the sound a little by doing Dr Bob's or Honest Abe's modification. I hear the comments about it sounding like a lawn mower. I just wanted to pull the baffles and drill out the back hole so that I could weld the hold shut and it would look stock (actually it would be back to stock) if I changed my mind. NO one seems to have any pictures or knowledge of getting the baffles out. I drilled out the rivets but could not get the baffles to "slide out" so I put the rivets back and have decided the best way to solve this cheaply is to install some inexpensive slip-on universal mufflers. I have seen almost nothing on the boards about doing it to Suzuki. I have ordered a pair and may post the process and sound. After I found the pair I wanted I did a search on youtube and found a Triumph with the same universal mount slip ons and it sounds fine to me and this is what I am expecting. Similar engine and I think they look great.
    Nice ride. I put baffles in, after a little time between rust and soot didn't need screw to keep baffles in. Couldn't get em out with dynamite.
    No it don't sound like lawnmower , but from distance what is the song.
    I do like seeing more women riding. In my day ladies driving bikes was practically nonexistent. I only remember two and one was a real pistol.
    Women riders in my area is still a novelty.
    I am in close proximity to Myrtle Beach SC. so I see out of state plates with the lady riders and there are about 75 live around the beach.
    Met some ladies at harley shop before Christmas they was getting something for 75 yr old woman who was still riding. Said she was one of original Motor Maids.
    Lot of these posters have Harleys and they basing sounds on big thumpers. Up close not much difference, but screaming down the road there is. My son had 650 star. Said it doesn't make much noise. I said that's because your not riding behind you.

tarheel

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S50
    hey Tarheel, I thought I would share my project. Did it all for well under $100. I didn't want to spend the money for Cobra's or Vance & Hines and she is VERY happy with the results. Let me know what you think.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    I'm sorry but I can't let this go without a couple of comments:

Tampering with the exhaust on any highway vehicle so that it makes more noise on is against the law.

What do you figure that Jesus would think about breaking the law and annoying your fellow man ??

I make these comments not to start an argument but I AM serious.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard S50

Thumbs up

hey Tarheel, I thought I would share my project. Did it all for well under $100. I didn't want to spend the money for Cobra's or Vance & Hines and she is VERY happy with the results. Let me know what you think.

Sounds really good! Good job, looks nice on there too.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S50
    I'm sorry but I can't let this go without a couple of comments:

Tampering with the exhaust on any highway vehicle so that it makes more noise on is against the law.

What do you figure that Jesus would think about breaking the law and annoying your fellow man ??

I make these comments not to start an argument but I AM serious.
    Easy Rider (quiet rider)
    First, what happened "I personally don't care for modded pipes on much of ANYTHING but that's for another thread." Now you made it about this thread. You already made it clear you don't like it and advised me "you had better be sure she approves" which I TOLD YOU ITS WHAT SHE WANTED. !!!!! Didn't you get the message that it is ALWAYS important to make sure she is happy! I am sorry you don't like it or approve of it. But, I know of no "law" in Georgia that states "tampering with the exhaust" is against the law. I guess every muffler shop selling Thrush, MagnaFlow, FlowMaster, Hooker etc. are all installing "illegal" exhaust. Now to completely remove baffles may be... although I can only repeat what I've heard. I can't site a "law" that says either but you can site it here if it bothers you that much. These mufflers do have baffles and a restricted plate inside so I don't think they are "illegal". I have no idea why the manufacture has the tiny sticker that says it is for certain year model bikes but it was funny to me. I am grateful for the increase in sound as it made a considerable difference on Saturday when a driver started moving into her lane and she hit the throttle and he jerked back over. With your logic I guess Vance & Hines, Cobra and EVERY other manufacture are selling illegal pipes too because every single one of them are louder than stock. I am not trying to annoy my fellow man I am just trying to enjoy the bikes. If you like the lack of sound out of your Vulcan I respect that too. Sorry you don't like ours, I do think you are just trying to start an argument and it looks like we could never ride together. In the end it is likely that you don't like the name JESUS on the tank and THAT is really a problem for you to deal with my friend. Ride safe.
    Last edited by BikerChick08; 03-01-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    But, I know of no "law" in Georgia that states "tampering with the exhaust" is against the law. I guess every muffler shop selling Thrush, MagnaFlow, FlowMaster, Hooker etc. are all installing "illegal" exhaust.
    Yes they probably are. After market mufflers and exhaust systems CAN BE certified for on road use.......but not many are.

The blanket law is Federal. Many areas have their own version too.

In the end it is likely that you don't like the name JESUS on the tank and THAT is really a problem for you to deal with my friend.
    You couldn't be more wrong. I think you should not be hypocritical.
    If you are going to proclaim your faith, you should also live it....ALL of it.
    Not just the pieces that you want to.

Done.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombi_Bkr View Post
    Sounds really good! Good job, looks nice on there too.
    thanks Zombi, I appreciate the support and not being judgmental. I worked hard to find a good balance of not not being too loud but having a deeper, richer, better sound and performance than stock. The MPG actually increased as well. After two or three rides together I can say that she loves them and I think they are a perfect match for this bike. In the end if we ever sell the bike to a "sensitive" rider we can put them back stock. I just did not want the "drill 6-8 hole" method that you can not go back.
    Last edited by BikerChick08; 03-15-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    and not being judgmental.
    I stated my opinion. I'm allowed to do that.
    Do you really want to turn this into an ongoing argument.....REALLY ????
    I don't.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard S50
    thanks Zombi, I appreciate the support and not being judgmental. I worked hard to find a good balance of not not being too loud but having a deeper, richer, better sound and performance than stock. The MPG actually increased as well. After two or three rides together I can say that she loves them and I think they are a perfect match for this bike. In the end if we ever sell the bike to a "sensitive" rider we can put them back stock. I just did not want the "drill 6-8 hole" method that you can not go back.
    I drilled the 6-8 hole method (Dr.Bob) but glad I did I really like the deeper and a little bit louder sound, I too get better MPG it actually makes riding more exciting, the only down side I can't go back. But if I decide to change I think I'll try your method it sounds great at a low cost. Did you buy those pipes off amazon? Is there a specific model number you used? Hope you enjoy them, and if you end up in someone's blind spot just crack the throttle open, they'll know your there lol. They sound awesome!
    Last edited by Zombi_Bkr; 03-16-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Sponsored Links