Looking at an s50
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Buell Blast

Looking at an s50

Hey all,
    Im coming from a Buell Blast and looking for something a bit bigger / faster.
    What im finding is the s50 is probably one of the fastest 'bigger' bikes available, even up to the 1200/1400 class, even outpacing its S83 brother.
    Is there something im missing? Just looking at HP/Torque, power/weight it doesnt seem like it should, I guess its just geared low for acceleration?
    If im looking for a cruiser like the Boulevard, is there anything else that I should also look at thats quicker?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Slvrscoobie View Post
    What im finding is the s50 is probably one of the fastest 'bigger' bikes available, even up to the 1200/1400 class, even outpacing its S83 brother.
    It isn't. Where are you getting that ridiculous idea ??

And just exactly why do you want something "faster" ??

There are a lot of cruisers in the 700-1200 range that are more than adequate when it comes to speed.

The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and Yamaha Vstar 950 come to mind.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    While the s50 may be a step up from what you're used to, "fast" and "cruiser" don't usually belong in the same sentence. A cruiser is all about comfort and enjoying the ride. Before settling on your next bike, take some time to test ride different bikes, and consider the kind of riding you want to do. If you haven't taken the MSF course, you should do that. It's a great education, even for experienced riders, and an inexpensive investment in your life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Buell Blast
    From everything I can find regarding people's impressions of the bike, and performance data, the s50 is as or nearly as quick as most of the other larger displacement bikes out there. I am assuming here, but that is because the other bigger displacement bikes are designed / tuned / geared for higher speeds, lower RPMS which limit the performance.
    Im looking for something thats more fun to ride, the blast is ok, but having a quick car, I want something thats a bit faster than what I have. However, as I said, Ive been looking at all the usual suspects, and the S50 seems to sit almost at the top of what a non-sport bike can do. I dont need to go fast, but I like to accelerate. The s50 seems to do this in spades.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Slvrscoobie View Post
    The s50 seems to do this in spades.
    I've owned one and ridden several and am TELLING you that it doesn't.

There is no magic and it has no better performance than other twin cylinder 800 CC bikes; it just doesn't.

But don't take my word, test ride one for yourself.
    It really isn't a cruiser. The S stands for sport and it's closer to a standard with forward pegs.

If you run across a V45 or V65, now THAT is performance in a mid-size bike. The V4 engines are really nice.

Seat Tester
    I had '02 Volusia 800 with carb. K+N filter made it little faster. Mostly it depends on rider, how aggressive they ride and this bike will take it. Anything past 70 gets uncomfortable. The engine gets busy.2˘worth

tarheel

My Bike(s)
    Buell Blast
    Well I guess thats part of the question too. Im not really looking for a cruiser, Im more interested in a 'standard' or naked Vtwin. Something with good get-up.
    Ive been looking over this site a lot, just trying to get an empirical idea of which bikes are faster, that actually have a comfortable seat, and a decent seat / back rest available for the wife.
    zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/
    Seems like most of the bikes top out around 13s 1/4 mile, which seems plenty fast, but everything from 650s to 1200s seems in that range. Seems like the s50 sits in the low 13s and is available at a very good price. That or a mid 2000s harley 1200 custom. the vulcans dont seem to be close (mid 14s) and few others offer standard bikes with similar output.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    The S50 is a bit "faster" because it's geared a bit lower. That means that you have to shift more to get the extra "power".

And I think your seeming obsession with off the line speed will end up being a detriment to you finding a good bike for your stated purposes.
    With it's lower gearing, the S50 starts getting buzzy at lower speeds than many similar bikes.

Then....most smaller standards do NOT make good two up bikes; passenger seat is too small.

In my opinion, you need to get your nose OUT of the reviews and get out and ride some yourself.

Overlooking any particular brand or model just because of other's opinion will be a mistake.

Keep the Buel and enjoy it until you find something that you really want.
    You can't do that without test rides.

Are you listening ?? It doesn't seem like you are.

My Bike(s)
    Buell Blast
    well my problem with 'getting out and riding' is at least here in NJ, places wont let you take bikes out (unless they're brand new, and thats not really comparable) to just 'see if you like them'.
    insurance purposes they say. Id love to spend an afternoon test riding a dozen or so models, but with my budget, resellers dont want to spend the time on it.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    While it is true that most dealers don't just let casual walk-in's test ride anything they want.......especially young folks with not much money.......IF you convince them that you are serious by having a substantial chunk of money saved for a bike AND can give them some idea if what you really want......most any dealer will let you test ride used bikes.

The key is to have some patience and make a budget and SAVE UP SOME MONEY.
    You are lucky that you already have a bike to ride.
    Many in your position have NOTHING.

I'm done. There isn't anything magic anyone can tell you. It takes resolve and time.

Sponsored Links