2007 Boulevard M50 help.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard

2007 Boulevard M50 help.

It looks like whatever a bike uses for an alternator went out on my bike. Unfortunately I have not been able to find what it's called. Magneto, generator? I've searched everywhere for what it uses and any help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard c90T
    You probably need to have a look at your stator and rectifier.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    It actually is an alternator......and consists of the stator and the rectifier/regulator.

But when you word it the way you did, I suggest that you should give us all the symptoms and let us help verify the diagnosis before you waste your money on parts you don't need.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    It actually is an alternator......and consists of the stator and the rectifier/regulator.

But when you word it the way you did, I suggest that you should give us all the symptoms and let us help verify the diagnosis before you waste your money on parts you don't need.
    You betcha.

I was riding to work and I slowed down to stop and she died on me. I've noticed that happens sometimes when I'm really low on fuel and I was so I thought that's what it was. What was different this time was that she wouldn't start back up, none of the lights worked and so I had to walk her to the side of the road. Finally got her to start back up and I noticed that my clock had reset. I made it to the gas station, filled up, but as I put in the key and tried to start her up but no lights, no response, nothing.

I got a tow truck out there, they hooked up the battery to jump it, she started up but as soon as they took the leads off, she would die almost immediately. We jumped her again and this time i revved the engine and she stayed alive just a little while longer, but eventually died again.

I took the battery to Batteries Plus to have the battery tested. It still had a strong charge even while they strained it.

So, there you go. Hope that helps!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    It is more likely that you have a bad connection at one end of one of the main battery cables because......the bike needs EITHER a charged battery OR a working alternator to keep running, not both. The fact that the battery had a charge is an excellent clue that the alternator was working.

If you don't have a multi-meter you need to buy or borrow one. About $10 at WalMart, Harbor Frieght, Home Depot, etc.

With the bike OFF, the battery should read about 12.6 volts DC.
    When running, it should read something higher than that; at fast idle at least 13.4.
    If it does read higher, then your alternator is working........probably as good as it should.

Having your idle speed set too low can make this condition worse......because the alternator produces almost no voltage if the speed drops too low.
    If the battery connection is also bad, you have no juice at all.

This could be a loose main fuse or loose wire at ignition switch or bad ignition switch too.
    Could be an intermittent battery too.

I strongly encourage you to NOT change parts based on a wild guess.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 07-25-2016 at 09:10 AM.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    It is more likely that you have a bad connection at one end of one of the main battery cables because......the bike needs EITHER a charged battery OR a working alternator to keep running, not both. The fact that the battery had a charge is an excellent clue that the alternator was working.

If you don't have a multi-meter you need to buy or borrow one. About $10 at WalMart, Harbor Frieght, Home Depot, etc.
    Yeah, I'll see if I can find or get one.

With the bike OFF, the battery should read about 12.6 volts DC.
    At Batteries Plus it read about 12.3, A little low, but should still run.

When running, it should read something higher than that; at fast idle at least 13.4.
    If it does read higher, then your alternator is working........probably as good as it should.
    I haven't been able to get a reading... because it won't run...

Having your idle speed set too low can make this condition worse......because the alternator produces almost no voltage if the speed drops too low.
    If the battery connection is also bad, you have no juice at all.
    How can I increase my idle speed?

This could be a loose main fuse or loose wire at ignition switch or bad ignition switch too.
    Could be an intermittent battery too.

I strongly encourage you to NOT change parts based on a wild guess.
    I don't plan to change parts on a wild guess. This is why I came here to ask the experts.

Thanks for the advice!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by sirzevo View Post
    How can I increase my idle speed?
    Get an owners manual.

12.3 is low enough for it not to start......but the lights still should light.
    What's the reading with the key ON when the lights are OFF ??
    On the battery posts and on the cable connections ??

Sponsored Links