2005 s50 fuse/lights issue
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard

2005 s50 fuse/lights issue

I am the 5th owner of this bike, and have had it for a week now. On it's first 2 runs I rode for about an hour without any problems. On my third ride , I rode for about 45 minutes when the (10 amp) fuse that protects my turn signals, instrument/Neutral, rear stop ,license plate light & horn blew. The next day I replaced it and 20 minutes later it fused. After replacing the fuse the next 2 times and going through the connections by wiggling them, not until I got into 2nd gear, did it fuse. Tonight after changing it, I didn't even start it before it blew. Any thoughts would help with what little hair I have left on my head.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    You have a short somewhere, you already probably figured that out. I would check the harness where it passes the steering stem for any fraying...check the fuse holder for loose or corroded connections...check the ignition switch for any looseness...does it wobble about? and the wiring for shorts, Check the kill switch...the often cause trouble if used to stop the motor...IMO they are for emergency use only. Finally you may have an escalatng heat related electrical problem. I say escalating as it fused almost straight away. I would be leaning towrds some sort of direct short esp in those cirucits involved due to the instant fuse blow.

ER may be able to help more as he is the guy for electrical problem solving. You may want to isolate certain circuits to help find out which one may be causing the fuse to blow..ie remove the bulbs from the turn signals etc...also check all handlebar switches for corrosion and or crap build up.

Good Luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    .ie remove the bulbs from the turn signals etc...
    This is what I would do first.

With the fuse blown or removed, check to see what lights are dead and then remove ALL of those bulbs.
    Put in a fresh fuse and see if it holds.
    Sometimes a bulb will short internally.

After that, you need a wiring diagram and a meter.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links