M90 or M109R
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: M90 or M109R

My Bike(s)
    Z1000

M90 or M109R

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread. I currently ride a 2010 Z1000, but have realized that it's not for me. I mean, it's fun as hell, and I enjoy the power since it's there, but I guess because I started on an SV650, I seem to still shift at 4-6k rpm, and cruise at about 65-75mph.

I don't ride the Z like it should be; hard and aggressive, high reving.

So I'm looking to get into cruisers, well more specifically, muscle/power cruisers.

As the title suggests, I'm trying to figure out anything/everything about these 2 bikes. I don't usually ride 2-up, but really would like to take the wife out once she gets her head around the idea.

I want the power for a takeover whenever I choose. And I want fun, every time I swing a leg over it. There's other bikes in my list (VTX 1800, Ducati Diavel, Vulcan 1500 / 1800, Vrod), but you guys are the Boulevard guys, and the M109R is what first drew me to the category.

I'm open to all comments you may have.

BTW, I'm 5'11", 230lbs, above average athletic stature (just to cover those points).

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Never tried the m90, don't really see a point to it. I mean, if you can already handle a 109, then the 90 is never gonna satisfy you. I'm shorter than you at 5'6" and a Valkyrie fit me better out of the box so that's what I went with. But I like the 109. It would have been my 2nd choice. The thing that turned me off the vtx was: too old, and people still asking too much money for them. Honda does make a smoother cruiser than anyone, slightly lower revving and less vibration means more comfort during a long ride.
    Ride the 109, ride a Valkyrie, those are the best in the power cruiser market. You could look at a vmax but those are fugly (imo) and I don't consider them cruisers. Same with ducati.
    Now you pay a little bit more for a Valk, but if it fits you, you'll never regret it.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2016 Suzuki C90T BOSS
    I am going to weigh in on this one, because I was facing the exact same decision a few months ago. Though I was drueling at a new 109, the result was the C90T Boss (blacked out) and I will explain why.

I think you have two conflicting ideas that you should consider first. Is this to cruise long distance with your wife on the back, or ride like a sports bike in a swept back seating position. The 109 is a beast, but in my view it was designed from the ground up to satisfy the latter, not the first. This is a sport bike disguised as a sporty cruiser, but pure blood adrenaline rusher. In terms of the M90, I agree with the post before, I do not see the purpose of this machine. If you want this style of bike, for the difference in $'s, "go big or go home" and get a 109.

My C90T loves to cruise at 80KM/hr on back twistys, or 140 to 150 KM/hr down the hwy effortlessly and does not hesitate to get there either. I am 6'5" tall and weigh in at 260lbs and my wife is around 140lbs. The C90T will handle us and our gear for a long trip and anything I choose to throw at it.

My final decision was based on power, which the C90T has lots, comfort and the ability to tour with my wife without her complaining .... lol The wife is happy and you know what they say, "happy wife, happy life".

Food for thought.

Just a suggestion, I would test all three with and without your wife in the back. All three will have different handling characteristics that may impact your final decision. I can tell you that when we tested the 109, it was a blast alone, but didn't feel right for me with a second rider. Just felt like the balance was way off.
    Last edited by uprightshark; 09-15-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsored Links