Seeping fork seal
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 suzuki m50

Seeping fork seal

So I recently acquired a 2008 Suzuki M50 and am slowly going through the bike and getting familiar with it. The first problem I found was that one of the fork seals are leaking. I decided to take it to the dealer for this since I don't have a lift and don't have the "special" tools. Is there a fork oil that is an upgrade to the OEM? The bike only has 9K miles on it...anybody else have problems with the fork seals?

I have a Memphis shade alley cat on order, should be here by the time I get the fork seals done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    It depends on how BAD the leak is.

Just about every bike I've owned leaves a little oil "film" on the forks that you only notice when the dust sticks to it.

Have you inspected the fork tubes for "dings" ?
    If there is damage from a rock or similar, you can change the seals forever and they will keep going "bad".
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 suzuki m50
    The fork tubes look perfect from what I can see. I'll make sure the dealer inspects them well when they have it torn apart. Not usually a fan of the dealer but the one closest to my house a a really good reputation. I had a harley before this bike i had bought new and it had the same issue and the dealer found one of the tubes had a slight bend to them. I was sure they dropped it on the showroom floor because they said they knew it wasn't something I did.

When I get it back I'm going to change the shaft oil, adjust the clutch, and change the coolant. The previous owner did the oil and the plugs. Since it is used I am going to slowly go through the whole bike.

Anybody have trouble with the clock not keeping time? Makes me suspect the battery is getting old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by rooti View Post
    Anybody have trouble with the clock not keeping time? Makes me suspect the battery is getting old.
    If it is the original, at 9 years old it's about two years past the average good life.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    15 Suzuki Boulevard C90
    My 07 was soft in the forks, went to a motorcycle suspension and fork maker/repairer. Advised me not to change the oil viscosity as it will damage the internals, but he recommended a spacer under the fork cap to increase the spring pressure. I left them alone, from what could make out in the manual it a big job to get to the top of the spring.The cap is just a cover. Intended to do it when the seals needed replacing. But at 7 yrs and 60,000km the battery was the only thing needing replacement.

Have you wiped the forks dry then checked again. I spray my bike with wd40 and that gave me the appearance of a leaking seal.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 suzuki m50
    I had the suzuki dealer do the both the seals. Only one was leaking and I could see splashes on the air filter and the crash bar, so I guess it was much more then a seep. Since the bike and dealership is new to me I made an appointment and brought it in the night before. They said they would probably have it before they close. Long story short, I called them and after pushing the issue hadn't even touched the bike. I was pissed and hung up. They called 5 minutes later and told me they made a mistake on the quote they gave me. They didn't realize it had inverted forks. I said WTF, you are the dealer and was in front of my bike for 15 minutes yesterday. I told them I was just going to pick it up. When I went it I talked to the service mgr. and explained what happened. He said if I gave him another chance he would do the forks at the first price, de-glaze the brakes and pads, balance the front tire and have it out by noon.

Falcon, if you have 10 year fork oil in your forks then your forks are going to be super soft. Wait until you see what it looks like and smells like. I spent 500 bucks on front suspension on my last bike and the front end on this bike after the work is as good as that. The inverted forks was just one of the reasons I chose the M50.

Get rid of that old fork oil. They used a 10w high performance in mine.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    One point I ask is why inverted forks would be more expensive than the old style.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 suzuki m50
    They are more labor intense. I looked at the shop manual and looked at all the parts and the "special tools" needed and decided to have it done professionally. I could take the fork tubes off the harley in 20 minutes and actually redid the front suspension.
    The dealers shop book allowed 2 hours labor for regular forks and 3 1/2 hours for the inverted. I don't know exactly why they are so much better but I can feel a huge difference.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    15 Suzuki Boulevard C90
    The fork oil wasn't 10yrs old just the seals. The oil was replaced at some stage. Sold the bike with books and receipts,and can't remember when it was replaced.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 suzuki m50
    Hey Falcon, You have to realize that the mfg. sets up the suspension to an "average" persons weight. There was a whole group of us Harley owners that set up our suspensions by setting the sag. First we purchased traxxion spring matched to our weight, used amzoil shock therapy fork oil, and then set up the sag correctly by using shorter or longer spacers. It was a pain to do...most of us had taken are forks apart at least 3 times. Once it was set it was night and day difference. I'm not about to go through it with these forks after looking at the diagrams but the spread sheet we documented would make it easy for the next person to set up their forks right the first time. We also used ricor intimidator disc in the forks which I'm not sure if they are even still available.

I'm impressed the the front on on the m50 for stock. It really absorbs bumps and handles grooves very well for stock.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    15 Suzuki Boulevard C90
    rooti your not telling me anything I don't know I researched the whole exercise and got the most information from a aftermarket fork manufacturing and straightening firm dealing mainly for modified road and racing bikes.

My Bike(s)
    M50 Boulevard
    I've been working on mine, has anyone done a write up?

Sponsored Links