Low Compression VS800 w/ 13K miles - Page 2
  • Login:

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Wild_West View Post
    I've never been a fan but should I run some seafoam in case I missed a carb clog somewhere?
    NO.

Seafoam is NOT a good cleaner. It just isn't.
    Did you know that the company that sells the stuff is named "Seafoam SALES Company" ??
    Sales is about all they are really good for.
    There are better stabilizers and much better cleaners available........at about half the price.

Give it double shot of Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout.

AND......if you are testing with no air filter in place, that alone might be causing the problems you are having.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki VS800 Boulevard S50
    Thanks for the advice on the cleaners. I picked up a can of Berrymans today and will try it out.

Air filters have been in place. I probably mentioned it in an earlier post but I did spray them out with a compressor a while back.

Edit: Took the bike out for the full throttle cutoff test. Front cylinder looks rich, rear maybe a bit lean. Tonight I'll go through the ignition system with particular attention to the front cylinder. If that yields nothing, I will pull the carbs again. Thanks for the input thus far everybody.

Front:

Rear:

Last edited by Wild_Wild_West; 02-02-2018 at 06:11 PM.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I would stick with the fuel/carb problem first. If it were electrical you would get missing/backfiring issues...IMO. Also reg/rec problems can sometimes cause similar problems
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    I would stick with the fuel/carb problem first. If it were electrical you would get missing/backfiring issues
    Sorry I hadn't clarified that in an earlier post. It does miss on top end without a doubt. Lots of sputtering, some popping once it refuses to make power. At any point If I hard throttle it sputters and hesitates as it picks up. I'm still very open to fuel/carb issues though considering one cylinder is rich, one not.

Results of electrical tests were as follows (2005 model):
    Primary Coil: 2.3 Left / 2.3 Right (Spec 1.8-2.6)
    Secondary Coil: 10,470 Left / 10,370 Right (spec is 16,000-26,000)
    Signal Generator: 3.10 (spec is 50-200) Read as infinite when multi meter was set to x1000 as per manual. ie. its really bad.
    High voltage leads: 9.1 Left / 9.3 Right (unknown spec)

All connection points were free of corrosion.

So...I will replace coils/wire deals and spark generator. I expect to find a need for carb adjustments as well but one step at a time.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Thats looking positive in a negative way if you get my drift. Maybe it is faulty coil/s. Personally I would replace one thing at a time to save costs. Supply side would also be sus IMO

My Bike(s)
    I get your drift, and I'm glad I've got something pegged down finally.
    Yeah, the signal generator is kind of pricey. I'm seeing if the guy I bought the motor from has his still and maybe could give me a good deal on it all.

As for the supply side, I do have the spares in the old engine that may work in this 2008... Fingers are crossed.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    No I meant electrical supply to the coils...wiring, connectors, switches etc... could even turn out to be a loose plug cap on the lead. I remember a bike I had years ago refused to start in heavy rain....turned out to be the plug cap shorting to the cylinder head...pushed the bugger miles home too!

My Bike(s)
    Ahh, I see what you mean. The signal generator and coils are tested without power so bad wiring/connectors wouldn't affect results of the resistance tests. But still that is a valid point. I had to fix a few electrical issues with the horn and multiple signals...could be something more in this wiring. I could run some continuity tests just to be sure. That will have to wait a few days though. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the info.

My Bike(s)
    Updates...

The original CDI was fine. These require a special Suzuki made multi meter to read properly.... so now I have a spare.

I did a continuity test through all of the ignition component related harness and everything is fine.

Tried rejetting the mains with no change.

Bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner to bathe the carbs, no change.

Checked the fuel tank breather line for clogs, it good.

Ive ordered new diaphragms for the carbs as mine have some scratches in the sides. The front carb is the worst and that cylinder was rich. Maybe those scratches are causing vacuum loss and the slide isnt raising to let air in...should get them tomorrow...

All I can say is im happy I bought the bike for $800 up front.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    The slide failing to rise would allow less fuel in due to the needle failing to rise out o the main jet. Does this bike have an electric fuel pump? as the fuel filters in these tend to cause problems similar to what you are experiencing. Often the internal filter is non servicable due to it being sealed within the pump body...although many drill them out and run an external filter.

My Bike(s)
    The needle is only tapered so far and never completely lifts out of the main jet orifice. If the diaphragm is opening partially it may still be getting a some fuel via the main jet. If it isn't opening at all than that would explain why the bike runs fine under 1/4-1/3 throttle as the main jet kicks in at that point.

Yes it does have an electric fuel pump, albeit only 2 to 3 psi. I'd replaced the fuel pump with a used OEM unit with supposedly about 5k miles on it. My old one leaked and after attempting to crack it open...they do not go back together without massive leaks lol.

Anyone know of any tool/method to test the fuel pressure of the pump? I guess that is my next point of inspection if the new diaphragms don't affect any change.

Thanks for the input Aussie Steve!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Wild_West View Post
    Yes it does have an electric fuel pump, albeit only 2 to 3 psi.
    Anyone know of any tool/method to test the fuel pressure of the pump?
    In that situation, the pump is there just to help gravity a bit and flow is more important than pressure.
    If it puts out a good flow when the hose is disconnected from the carb it should be OK.

You can try to make a rough test of pressure by closing off the hose with your finger while it is flowing......but be careful of where the fuel sprays.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    The flow rate can be checked by having a set amount of fuel delivered in a set amount of time. A glass pyrox jug is great for this and all you need to do is switch on the ignition and have your mobile phone on timer. You will need the specifications, on a fuel injected bike 2 to 3 psi is quite low but on a carburetted one it is probably within spec.

Good luck
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 03-08-2018 at 09:04 PM.

My Bike(s)
    1995 VS800
    I have a VS800GL, very similar to what you have. The carbs have a small fine screen covering the main jet, they could be buggered up. The choke (enricher) line could be kinked or bound up causing too much gas to enter into the carb.

They are very battery dependent, connections must be tight and clean. Place star washers on battery connections to get them really tight.

Keep updating so we can try to help.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M-50
    So, did you ever get it running the way it should?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links