Side Panel Removal - 2014 M90
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    M90 Boulevard 2014

Unhappy Side Panel Removal - 2014 M90

Side Panel Removal - M90 2014

Hello to all,

I just bought an M90 2014 Boulevard. I also have a a 2005 S40 LS650 thumper. Luv em both.

Joined this site after looking at other sites. Most are outdated and not current.

Looking for advice on basic tips. I have the owner's manual, but it is rather limited for the M90. Hunted for a service manual but located shady sites and only manuals through 2009. Looking on how to remove side panels so I can remove seats so I can install throw over saddle bags until I decide to mount them on permanently. For the life of me I cannot locate any set screws, bolts or clips. Owner manual states to unhook hooks. That is it. no meaningful diagram. I poked fingers all in the lower cavity and cannot feel any hooks. What thread should I post my need? I performed word search for "seat, remove, M90, boulevard to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Welcome.

A dealer could get you a shop manual, for a price.

They probably would also show you how to get the seat loose, probably for free.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Usually...read possibly....covers that have no visible means of retention have those rubber grommets in the frame and lugs on the back side of the cover....can you gently pull the cover away at all?...this indicates that this is how they are held.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    M90 Boulevard 2014
    They definitely would. The issue is I typically look for manuals such a Haynes Manuals that show all steps in a process. Most manuals start with the seat removal vs the panel removal. Haynes doesn't have one for my year and model. I would hate to purchase a manual that is not any better than the owner's manual for this task since I do not intend perform more than basic maintenance and customizing the bike. I leave the heavy lifting to the expert mechanics. I'll keep looking. Thank you.
    Last edited by ravila7579; 01-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.

My Bike(s)
    M90 Boulevard 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Usually...read possibly....covers that have no visible means of retention have those rubber grommets in the frame and lugs on the back side of the cover....can you gently pull the cover away at all?...this indicates that this is how they are held.

Good luck
    I thought of that. Tried prying gently. I just don't want to break anything since the word they used in the owner's manual was "hooks." I may have to wait until Saturday to visit the dealer just to be sure. I'll see if a post pops up. Thank you.

Update. Performed search using "cover" instead of "panel" (as the owner's manual calls them). Found site that shows Blown up parts list illustrations that show, you guessed it, grommets. Pulled and off it came. Now back to mounting saddle bags. only took 24 hours to figure it out. LOL. But better safe than sorry. Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?q=FRAM...xiTJ64izf8q4M:
    Last edited by ravila7579; 01-25-2018 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Updating response

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    So many covers/fairings/belly pans etc are flimsy these day its a wonder they last more than two or three removals. Those plastic push pins and other assorted fasteners are certainly only good for one or two removals.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    Yep, that's generally where you hear someone say, "Watch out for the battery cover, it might come off when you hit a bump". Almost always a rubber fastener or metal retention clip is missing from a couple too many removals. Sometimes broken from incorrect removal attempts.
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Hope Boeing dont use the same ones!

Sponsored Links