S40 > Dunlop tire question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40, 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

S40 > Dunlop tire question

Looking for opinions: Is the Dunlop K555 tire that went on the back of my S40 this Spring naturally a rough, vibrating ride (compared to the original OEM tire), or is it the Dyna Beads I let the shop use to balance it? Tire pressure is correct.
    -thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I would suspect the beads....never heard of these here but sounds a bit iffy to me...how do they work?
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40, 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
    You can google Dyna Beads for many pages of reviews, etc. My Firefox doesn't approve of Innovative Balancing's website for some reason, so I won't point you there, but there are plenty of other sources for info. Opinions seem to be divided; some love the beads, others have problems. But I can't say the shop I used would have balanced that tire any better using lead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by austinrick View Post
    But I can't say the shop I used would have balanced that tire any better using lead.
    Shops seem to love the beads......because it turns a 10 minute balancing job into a 10 second one.

BUT by doing that, they don't get a chance to spin the tire and observe it for out-of-round or out-of-true conditions
    and the beads won't compensate for either of those conditions.

I don't trust the things; never have.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
    Depends on the shop. Ones here locally will manually balance tires. One shop (now closed) in Farwell, TX 8 miles away had a dynamic spin balancer for the ultimate in tire balance. I'd put the bike on a jack and lift up the rear wheel. Manually spin the tire and observe whether it is wobbling or not. If not, I'd take the bike to another shop that is reputable, have them install another inner tube without beads and balance the tire.

There doesn't seem to be anything unusual about the tire, Harley riders use Dunlop without problems, so I think something else is going on. Tire could be defective, may be not properly seated on the rim, or the beads are insufficient (or may be too many?) to maintain balance. Spinning the tire also may reveal any other problems you may be having, such as bad wheel bearings, spoke alignment off, belt not properly centered, etc.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Shops seem to love the beads......because it turns a 10 minute balancing job into a 10 second one. BUT by doing that, they don't get a chance to spin the tire and observe it for out-of-round or out-of-true conditions and the beads won't compensate for either of those conditions. I don't trust the things; never have.
    I have never used beads before, either, nor do I plan to in the future. I do all my motorcycle tire changes and also have done it for friends as a favor. I had mounted a new back tire on my 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII, a Pirelli MT66 Route 150/90-15 that required 3 oz. of weight to balance. It was manufactured in Brazil. Tire worked fine other than the amount of weight required to balance. When worn out, I replaced it with a Duro HF296C Tire same size, it only required a half ounce weight for balance (go figure).

My suspicion (provided that the tire is properly seated and not out of round) may be that if the tire requires more weight for balance, beads may not be able to compensate.

My Bike(s)
    2008 Bandit 1250S, '97 Vakyrue, '00 Kaw Nomad, '02 Harley Ultra Classic, '03 BMW K1200RS
    Forget BEADS. Buy a bottle of "Ride-On". Remove your valve core and squeeze the whole bottle in. Ride-On not only dynamically balances your tire as you ride, it seals any punctures so you don't wind up on the side of the road a zillion miles from Bumf*ck anywhere,. This is a "no-brainer". Stuff has been available for 15+ years. Get up to speed, Dawg.

'00 Vulcan Nomad
    '02 Harley Ultra Classic
    '03 BMW K1200RS
    '08 Suzuki Bandit 1250S

Sponsored Links