Replacing the back tire on 2005 M50
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Replacing the back tire on 2005 M50

I have searched the forums, but not finding the answer. It currently has 170/80 15 on the rear now, but with chatting with bike bandit they offer two sizes (200/70 15 from Metzeler, 200/50 15 from Pirelli). Do you know if either one of these tires will fit without customizing the wheel? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    I would be very cautious about changing the size of tire on a bike. First, a 200/70 or 200/50 may not even fit on the same rim as a 170/80. In addition, this will change the geometry of the rear end of your bike - which could be very dangerous.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Hope others will know more but I think that is too drastic a difference.
    Keep looking.

Have you checked with local dealers ?
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
    Quote Originally Posted by M_ttC_ View Post
    I have searched the forums, but not finding the answer. It currently has 170/80 15 on the rear now, but with chatting with bike bandit they offer two sizes (200/70 15 from Metzeler, 200/50 15 from Pirelli). Do you know if either one of these tires will fit without customizing the wheel? Thanks
    170/80 means tire is theoretically 170 mm wide with 80% of that as the tire height from the rim mount location (not the lip). Reason why I say theoretical is that these are only approximate, there are variances between manufacturers and models. Going by the numbers, the 200/70-15 is 30 mm or 1.2 inches wider. It may not fit your bike.

I've installed a slightly different sized tire before. My Suzuki Savage used a less common size 140/80-15 tire. I mounted a Pirelli MT 66 Route in the more common size of 130/90-15 and it rode fine, looked about the same as the other tire.

Tires Unlimited and I am sure other outlets like JP Cycle and Ron Ayers have the right size tire. Pirelli MT 66 Route is available in your size.

Pirelli MT66 Route Cruiser

In general, you're safe if you stick with the OEM's specified tire sizes.

Also, if you do find another tire that will fit without problems, you also have to be careful that you understand your load rating. A tire of a slightly different size may have a lower load rating. If you operate your bike under its limits you are okay. Otherwise you could exceed the load rating when loading your gear or carrying a pillion passenger.

If you are considering going to another size, I'd first research and see what other riders are using and with what success. Sometimes, there will be a general consensus that a certain tire that differs from OEM size works well. This is from a good number of riders. Save that, I'd go slow unless you really know what your doing.

Sponsored Links