Wrong Octane Fuel
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X

Wrong Octane Fuel

Last week, I was distracted at the pump, and put the wrong octane fuel in the tank.

The manual calls for Premium. The clerk had given me a hard time about some pricing for a product I was purchasing that was clearly contrary to what was marked on the shelf. I let her have her little victory without a fight. There are other ways of solving this without "getting into it" with a minimum wage worker. I was mentally repeating the exchange, and plotting how to prove myself right without confrontation the next time I stop in. I glanced at the multi-pump and saw the pricing @ $3.11. I remembered that is what I paid last week across town for Premium, and put the nozzle in my tank and selected the price of $3.11.

A few minutes later, I have fuel boiling up to the top of the neck of the tank, and quite a ways to go on the pump before I got all the gas I paid for into the tank. Apparently, I calculated and paid for the proper grade of fuel, but did not follow through. And selected the cheaper grade of fuel.

Long and short of it. The bike ran like crap. I guess with a 12.5:1 compression ration, you have to follow the octane recommendations pretty close. Especially, with the cruddy fuel management computer that is stock on Buells. In the afternoon, the bike was knocking, rattling, and all manner of not good stuff. I stopped and got a can of octane booster. Added it to the tank, and ran it for a while. It had helped a bit, but I haven't been able to really "get on it" without hearing some noises. Finally, I used up the old stuff, and filled up with a fresh tank.

Yes....I selected the proper grade this time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Yeah, bikes don't have the engine management that cars have. I can run 87 in our Passat turbo with little more ill effect than reduced power thanks to timing adjustments by the computer.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Hangin' On For Dear Life
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
    Dallas, Texas Directly above the center of the earth.
    welcome to the world of High Test Harleys.
    Real Men Drift on Two Wheels.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRed94 View Post
    Yeah, bikes don't have the engine management that cars have. I can run 87 in our Passat turbo with little more ill effect than reduced power thanks to timing adjustments by the computer.
    That Delphi system that Buell is mandated to use by Harley is absolutely deplorable.

If there is any one thing that will prevent me from keeping the bike past it's warranty period is the fuel management system.

Quote Originally Posted by drgibson View Post
    welcome to the world of High Test Harleys.
    This whole thing happened over the pricing of Monster Energy Drink. So according to six degrees of separation, you are somehow in the loop for being at fault here!

They (Monsters) were clearly marked 2 for $3.00. As I put them on the counter, not only did she snatch them with her fingers where I gotta put my mouth. She snottily anounces that these aren't under special. I mentioned they were clearly marked as such. She retorts like she's winning the debate on WMD in Iraq in front of the U.N. that it's only the "Green" ones. I started to speak again, and she cut me off, and smugly anounced that it's only the green ones again. I was in shock at her abruptness, but also knew it ain't worth the effort to debate her. I figured I'd roll her under the bus the next time I see the manager, and I'll show up everyday until I do.

I was so not wanting to deal with her, that I had money coming back to me from the pump, but refused to go in and speak with her again over some change!

Hangin' On For Dear Life
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
    Dallas, Texas Directly above the center of the earth.
    I get my monsters at Wally world they sell them in 4 packs for $6.50 cheapest I've found.
    I figure it's cheaper then smoking.
    Real Men Drift on Two Wheels.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Quote Originally Posted by drgibson View Post
    I get my monsters at Wally world they sell them in 4 packs for $6.50 cheapest I've found.
    I figure it's cheaper then smoking.
    They had 'em there @ my local Wally's for $5.89 a couple of weeks ago. $13.xx for the twelve pack. Geez....which one am I gonna take!??

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    2004 kawasaki zzr 600
    i snagged a few amp'd energy drinks for $1.09 at HyVee here in town... I really should have picked up a few more

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Grey and Black
    if you go to thinkgeek.com you can buy foosh mints which have comparable caffeine to Rockstars and the like and if bought in bulk with shipping it's like 25 cents a mint basically which is like 25 cents an energy drink but since the caffeine gets on your tongue the delivery system strait to the bloodstream is much faster and more effective. I gave up energy drinks all together when I found this out, saved me a fortune, just thought i'd pass it on.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Wow, is this thread ever off track. And old.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Sponsored Links