adding a manual override adjustable fan dial for hot summer days - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    If the OP wants to do this, then he needs to create a bypass to turn the fan on manually without overriding the automatic control coming from the EFI.
    If you just disconnect the automatic control and want to control the fan manually, you will do more damage than good, since the first time you forget to turn the fan on you risk overheating the bike.
    That is why I asked what the point is - as you said, ER, if it is working automatically there is no real benefit in adding a manual override.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

@easy rider - thank you for the reply. you made an awesome movie. ending is too sad. I salute you!

my 2 previous scooter have head gaskets blown with white oil mixed inside. oem talk is awesome and im all for it. im locked on what I want to do. so please help me with what I want to do, not what we know and the service manual says.

3 things im going to do.

1-add a variable dial for the radiator fan
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30A-DC6-60V...y/113208289489

2- add a 120mm fan to the plastic panel that covers the spark plug cover. and use the above link dial to adjust fan speed as needed. I dont want need to run at full speed all the time.

3- add an inline radiator temp sensor so it gives me a number readout.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-22mm-Wat...p/113122869125

the video above shows him connecting into the thermal sensor on the radiator

this is the b400 sensor
    https://imgur.com/a/BR1qTfs

so using the switch linked above. find the ground on the thermal sensor, splice into that with posi locks, then power the other side. turn dial on and adjust as needed. correct?

both adjustment fan dials will be connected directly to the battery because I want to have it running 20-30 seconds after I turn the bike off. the adjustment dials will be mounted in the left glove compartment. ill cut holes for the dials to mount. ill get some "project boxes to mount them in behind the glove boxes.

guys we can all give our opinions of what wed do, or think is right. lets keep the "why/ dont do it" talk to a minimum. if you think its wrong, or unnecessary, thats not helping me. I am locked on doing this.

I thank you all for any help you can give me. its very much appreciate and have an awesome weekend. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    If the OP wants to do this, then he needs to create a bypass to turn the fan on manually without overriding the automatic control coming from the EFI.
    If you just disconnect the automatic control and want to control the fan manually, you will do more damage than good, since the first time you forget to turn the fan on you risk overheating the bike.
    That is why I asked what the point is - as you said, ER, if it is working automatically there is no real benefit in adding a manual override.
    well im not rewiring the fan switch. im just tapping into it. and activating it when I want to. im tapping into the ground wire and connecting that to a switch. the other side to the battery. activating it when I want it on. but when I have the switch off the fan speed can work on its own. let it kick in when its getting the proper signal to turn on.

lets get away of what I cant do, and focus on doing what id like to do. I know, we all have ideas of what things should be and run it like oem, but from hard experience, and 2 blown head gaskets, im not listening to oem talk.

see the gsxr YT video. he explains what to do. tap a wire into the ground wire from the thermal switch and connect it to the fan dial switch I posted in the link. then connect the battery to the same fan dial. close the circuit when you turn it on. turn it off lets the oem system activate as needed

I saw many posts here and you all like helping. dont work against my project. help me with this please?
    Last edited by supersteelman; 03-17-2019 at 07:45 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteelman View Post
    I am locked on doing this.
    So sad.

Huge waste of time and money......and of time that you could be out riding.
    I guess I'm done then 'cause I think this goes beyond "not a good idea".

And I do not believe in "helping" people do things that are bad ideas.

Good luck.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

great forum

btw, I dont ride, just to ride, for the heck of it. its to work and back. im 50 years old. handicapped and dont have extra income so I need to look over my ride.

total cost of parts $35 but equals to a lot of peace of mind for me.

adding a fan for blowing on the engine=bad idea. how so? thats just connecting a fan to the battery
    adding an inline radiator valve to add a better gauge= bad idea. how so? many people add inline adapters and the US is THE main country that uses the most amount of gauges.
    running the rad fan manually=bad idea? who knows. many people do that in the US. but for me piece of mind.

so what kind of hjelp do you give? oem help?

err, jim, err, fill up tha tank of oil to 1347cc..is what dat oem manual be sayin'

good job then.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    You are spending $35 that you don't really HAVE to do something that is TOTALLY unnecessary.

That is why it is a bad idea.
    Also every time an "amateur" goes about making modifications, there always is a chance that something will go wrong.

But don't confuse me with facts; my mind is already made up.

Want to do something for your bike to help it run better and cooler and potentially last longer ??
    Start using full synthetic motorcycle oil on the next oil change.
    That should cost you about an extra $10 at each change.

Or just ride it and work on "curing" your paranoia.
    There are millions and millions of bikes on the road worldwide and overheating is very near to the BOTTOM of reported problems.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-17-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You are spending $35 that you don't really HAVE to do something that is TOTALLY unnecessary.

better in every which way you look at it that $35 to be proactive and monitor the bike for piece of mind is much better then paying for motor replair

Also every time an "amateur" goes about making modifications, there always is a chance that something will go wrong.
    dont assume. I always research for at least a month before doing any modding or anything out of oem and weigh the benefit vs negatives.
    there is nothing so drastic in adding a temp gauge, adding a fan to blow on the engine or to tap into a radiator fan (tons of videos on how to)

But don't confuse me with facts; my mind is already made up.
    your attitude is unpleasant as well to a new member. youre a mod. supposed to be open minded, help, give a solution, at least offer alternatives then just say no. you moderate. but you also help , not flat out say no.

adding a fan to connect to the battery to blow on the engine, bad idea? how so. people add fog lights and relays and alarms and tons of heated gear and adding a fan is bad idea?
    adding a better temp gauge-bad idea. yes, spoke the person whos in the country that add the most amount of gauges to their vehicles is the world.
    the only thing one can argue is overriding the radiator fan.

Want to do something for your bike to help it run better and cooler and potentially last longer ??
    Start using full synthetic motorcycle oil on the next oil change.
    That should cost you about an extra $10 at each change.
    assuming again. I use syntehtic jaso ma2 api sn oil and replace it every 2500miles. my bike has a lot of miles and my 2 previous bikes have had the head gasket blown from overheating. and its not immediete where youre stuck by the side of the road, but you see the tmep rise because its been leaking for a week or from the head gasket. you lean too much on oem
    oem isnt always right
    -bad clutch that has 3 pads vs 5 they updated later. tons of glazing and shuddering/bucking on takeoff
    -switches are horrible and need cleaning every so often
    -windshield rattles and has terrible turbulence that many have replaced.
    -headlights are weak

Or just ride it and work on "curing" your paranoia.
    I dont ride for the heck of it. ive been riding for 24 years now.
    There are millions and millions of bikes on the road worldwide and overheating is very near to the BOTTOM of reported problems.
    well duh, otherwise companies would have bad reputations and would go bust. but there are quite a few that have had issues.

you should see the modding they do in asia. adding what Im doing is like basic stuff.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    I can only give you my honest opinion......based on more than 50 years of riding and wrenching.
    Take it or leave it but don't beat me up for trying to help the best way I know how.

Sometimes that means trying to convince people to NOT do what they think is right......because it really isn't.

Good luck.

fair enough. apologies to you sir. thank you.

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    If you have had 2 previous scooters fail due to blow head gaskets, modding the fan isn't going to fix this.

Blown head gaskets are generally due to lack of maintenance (running with too little or the wrong type of motor oil, or the wrong type of coolant in the radiator for liquid-cooled motors). A failed fan won't lead to a blown gasket unless you are idling the bike for a long time. Otherwise, the air flow around a moving engine has a much larger volume than that produced by the fan...

That's why we're suggesting that you re-think your approach - you are spending time and effort to fix something that isn't broken. The risk that you break something else while doing this mod is higher than the benefit it will have when it is done.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

the climate here (overseas) is way too hot. even certain products like fridges go through a special check that they can hold up to the extreme heats here.
    this is just oem talk im getting. I love oem and buy oem parts for maintenance but the problem is the heat. the bike is always well kept. maintenance done before the recommended intervals. I never red line the bikes, Invested in many tools for maintenance. its just the heat.

youre giving blank oem statements and assuming. we have small roads and a lot of short distances and a lot of time sitting in traffic jams with many other cars all around expelling their heat as well. its not only the air temp, but the sun beating down cooking the bike which boosts the heat to extreme temps

another thing, youre all assuming way too much. as if you know the itnl standard of heat and engines coping with it all around the world. and how my situation is here. your driving circumstances are much different then mine,

what kind of forum is this. a copy paste oem talk forum? you guys dont help people? as a photographer, if you came to one I frequent, I will always give a few options and try to help with what the OP asks.

how about you help with what im asking or give a counter offer besides oem talk, or (im really sorry to say this) but dont comment, cause this back and forth oem talk, is tiring and not helping. I know the oem talk. I have a service manual

just like the saying" if you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all"

its not helping me whatsoever. summer is coming and im stressed with the bike overheating as is.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I can understand your situation however many on here have expressed their opinions on what you are doing...between me and the others you are getting over a hundred years of experience.

I ride in a hot climate...often it reaches 40c +...sitting in traffic never caused any of my bikes to overheat...the fan kicks in....on my current bike, at 110 degrees and draws sufficient air through the rad to drop it to about 90 or so. Once its moving the air flow is sufficient to cool the rad but even so the fan has already shut off.

What you are doing will serve no purpose so most will not feel the need to assist you.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

so most will not feel the need to assist you.

thats fine. at the very least dont argue with someone who want to do these mods. 2 pages of posts down the drain of arguing.

I can understand your situation

really? you know your situation, but you dont know mine. if youve ever been to bangkok in February and have taken a tok tok and have seen the traffic jams on narrow roads, thats what its like. people are commenting on what they know for their region. not the world. a bit close minded to think whats in your country is the same everywhere else. like I said, fridges need to get a special certification to enter this country because of the heat and humidty.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Oh ffs I lived in Brisbane for four years riding air cooled bikes...our Humidity was 70% with 35 degrees c...not one of them ever overheated. Same with the liquid cooled ones I rode too. You wont get any help with this attitude do your mod to the instructions given it should work
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links