adding a manual override adjustable fan dial for hot summer days - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Oh ffs I lived in Brisbane for four years riding air cooled bikes...our Humidity was 70% with 35 degrees c...not one of them ever overheated. Same with the liquid cooled ones I rode too. You wont get any help with this attitude do your mod to the instructions given it should work

yes, so youre the worlds representative for overheating statistics. talk for yourself. want to see a bike I have sitting 10 meters from my house entrance with white oil from a blown head gasket? dont talk nonsense, as youre a small reference is not a measurement for others around the world.

oh ffs yourself

"
    Lifetime Achievement Award" for what, posting nonsense?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    not worth answering
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    1993 Suzuki VS800
    Sigh, I usually try to avoid jumping in on these but let's correct a few things here...

High humidity is very uncomfortable for us humans, we rely on evaporation for cooling. Therefore, we perceive humid as bad. O.K.

Bikes do not rely on evaporation, they rely on direct heat transfer to the surrounding air. O.K.

The more humid air is, the more dense it is, and the more dense it is the more heat it can hold. O.K.

Therefore, this horrible, horrible humid air you talk about that is blowing your head gaskets is actually better for your bike.. WTF? Yep, better!

Googled:

"Abstract  The convective heat transfer from a cylinder to a humid air stream flowing normal to the cylinder was investigated experimentally at atmospheric pressure over a range of variables which is relevant to the use of hot‐wire anemometry: air temperatures between 30 °C and 70 °C and velocities between 12 and 37 m/s. For molar fractions of water vapour up to 0.27, the heat transfer increased with increasing humidity. The ratio of heat transfer rates in humid air and dry air is a unique function of the molar fraction of water vapour, independent of the air temperature and flow velocity."

I have lived in the dry deserts of Nevada where people do not use normal air conditioners because the heat will not transfer to the dry air, they use evaporative coolers. Yet, I rode a strictly air cooled motorcycle and never had a problem with a head gasket, nor did anyone I know have an issue with one. We are talking Death Valley.

Now I live in the 100+F humid heat of South Texas and have a liquid cooled motorcycle. Due to the high humidity my fan literally almost never cuts on, only when idling in a garage with near zero airflow. Again, have never had an issue with a head gasket, don't know anybody that has had one either under normal riding. Traffic here sucks too.

The only blown head gaskets I have seen have been on either really old bikes or bikes that have been ridden or maintained badly. Not saying that is your case but it is not your humid air that is doing it. What you are saying contradicts decades of known engineering principles and the laws of thermodynamics.

You came to this forum asking for advise. You have been told almost universally that what you are doing is senseless, that it won't make any difference and will likely actually increase the probability of failure, if nothing else through the unnecessary addition of complexity. You are arguing that what you know is right and everyone else just doesn't understand. Well, if you saw the movie, even Forrest Gump knew to listen to mama.

Simply put, If your fan isn't coming on with the automatic switch then your bike isn't overheating. There is nothing another switch will add of value. Period. Universally accepted by everyone but you. Nobody responsible is going to help you do something they think is a bad idea. Now your just getting nasty with people because they won't give you the answer you want to hear. Arguing with everyone won't make your idea any better, Sorry.

Now, you came for advise so this is your advise... stop arguing about your fan. Ask a different question. Like: What CAN you do that WILL help your bike. Then you might get some ideas... like, how about adding an oil cooler? Add a heat sink to your heads? Does your bike have some plastic that can be modified to increase airflow etc... etc... Someone already suggested moving to synthetics.

You might also try and find a forum specific to your bike model, they might have some suggestions.. Are there better head gaskets you can upgrade to?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Been gone for a few days but I have one thought to add:
    The OP seems to think that the head gaskets have failed because the bike FIRST overheated.
    And I think it is likely that it happened the OTHER way around.

That is, the head gasket failed first......for whatever reason.......and then the engine overheated AFTER that.

If that is what happened, then all of these modifications are a total waste of time and money.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links