adding a manual override adjustable fan dial for hot summer days
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

adding a manual override adjustable fan dial for hot summer days

hello friends, new member.

im a bit of a paranoid person in regards to my newly purchased 2011 burgman 400 and high temps in the summer and sitting in traffic. id like to add a bit of extra security for more piece of mind

I was looking to wire a variable dial/switch that would allow me to turn the fan on in those searing heat situations when im baking, err sitting at traffic lights. other cars are around me as well with their heat output, isnt helping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

my questions were
    -how many amps does the switch need to be, to activate the fan? was looking at a 5A but think that may be too little so was looking at this 20A ?

-I saw some videos on yt on how to wire it and one of the videos, the person wires it to the thermo fan switch on the radiator. im going to use posi locks though.

he installed a switch, but im looking to install an adjustable fan switch. would that be ok? I dont need to run the fan at full speed all the time. just a bit at times for better piece of mind, then turn it off and let the system kick in. I also want to add an inline radiator temp guage that gives readings with numbers, to get a more accurate number then the oem guage which is just placement.

im curious what the diameter of the radiator hose is. anybody know?

sorry, I have to post 3 to get to post links, so forgive me for wasting server space

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

hmm, no one?

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    On most motorcycles you can flash the ecu to vary most things I believe the temp the fan activates at is also adjustable. Rather than go to the lengths of fitting an extra device why not lower the temp the fan kicks on at?

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

thank you for the reply Steve. ecu is something id be too worried to mess with. thats more complex then installing a fan or switch for the summer months for me anyways. seems more cost as well, no?

my main question is, in the video, is it the correct way of going about activating the radiator fan manually?

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    If you are worried about hot days, the fan will turn on anyway - adding a manual override won't really add any value IMHO.

My bike rarely has problems with overheating, even on very hot days. The oil temperature is always around 90°C or may creep up to 100°C if I am sitting in traffic for a while, but in this case, the fan is turning anyway.

At the end of the day, that little fan isn't really going to make a whole lot of difference if it is very hot outside. The best way to keep the engine cool is by keeping moving, so that more air is flowing around the engine to carry heat away.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

@inspiron.

thanks for the help and your insight. can you help me with info on the mods I want to do?

my main question is, in the video, is it the correct way of going about activating the radiator fan manually?

some help please for the new guy? no?
    is it always quiet around here?

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Sorry I will try to answer your post but wil have to do it tommorrow...but basically you will need to wire the fan via a hot wire...live voltage... and a ground....somewhere on the frame with a switch in between these two. You activate the extra fan by operating the switch....ergo the manual over ride.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

thank you, no rush!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteelman View Post

im a bit of a paranoid person

THAT is what you should be working on fixing.......not the fan on the bike.

Seriously. As long as you can hear the fan run occasionally AND the "overheat" gauge or light does not come on......then you are good to go.

Gas engines are designed to operate just FINE over a fairly wide range of what humans consider to be really hot; no damage will be done.

If you insist on doing this, a simple switch is more than sufficient.......and getting any more complicated than that is likely to cause more DAMAGE than good.
    You should be paranoid about your own skill level.

(Now to look at the rest of the posts.)
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-16-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    OK, so it looks like logic and reason aren't going to work here so............

First you need a voltmeter to test the present equipment.

In most systems, the + wire to the fan is hot all the time and the "temperature switch" closes a path to ground when the temp goes up.
    On some, it works exactly the opposite; the + is switched instead of the ground.

Your manual switch needs to duplicate the action of the automatic one.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links