Hi, I've been working on an old GS250 for awhile. I've tried to take pics along the way to somewhat keep track of my progress. It was in pretty rough shape since it had sat outside without being started for much of the last 20 years. It had a lot of rust and dust on it as well as signs of prior "mishaps" from the original owner. My dad had bought it used when I was 15 and it is the very bike I took my M1 test on. I guess that's why I even considered trying to resurrect it, sentimental value. But truthfully, I was never fond of the '80s styling it had.
I decided I didn't want to restore it back to original. Also, I didn't have the money or the time to do that anyway. I just wanted it to run and look "cooler" (at least to me). I ended up looking around the internet for inspiration. I found that tons of people have taken older Japanese bikes and customized them in tons of different styles. I really liked some cafe-type builds I came across. I also liked a lot of scrambler/tracker types as well.
Yep, pretty rough. What does it look like now?:cool:
08-18-2014, 09:59 PM
rat it...or cafe racer.
08-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I only had a weekend here and there every month to work on it. It took a long time to clean it up and replace parts. I would work on it when I would visit my dad or I would take parts back home with me. I chopped the seat to get rid of the "stair step" look. I chopped the fenders to shorten them and sanded & painted them to remove some of the "bling". I also prepped the tank for paint. Since I had no money it was all Walmart spray paint, nothing professional or any powder coating. I really wanted it to be a little tougher looking like how scramblers look with more aggressive tires and gators on the front forks. So I started looking around. But here is what I had so far:
08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Well, it moving right along. Keep us updated on progress. :bluethum:
08-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Like I said, it was a very slow process. I spent most of the past year just slowly working on the bike. I worked on painting the wheels, fenders and tank (see below) and I prepped the seat for upholstery. I also generally tried to clean everything as I went.
08-20-2014, 03:32 PM
While I did this I also tracked some of the basics like new spark plugs, oil and filters. I also ordered a few "extras" mostly from eBay. I found some lower handlebars for $12 with free shipping and some tank pads, fork boots and a pair of shorty mufflers. I also found locally a round brake light to replace the big rectangle one that came on the bike. I think it looks decent but I'm still unsure about the tank pads.
08-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Good stuff.:cool: Do those pipes have baffles in them?
08-21-2014, 02:01 PM
They do have removable baffles. I liked the fact that they are less than half the size of the original mufflers but I wasn't sure how they'd sound. But for $32 shipped for the pair I thought I'd give it a shot. Surprisingly they sound really good. They make the bike sound like a bigger bike. not like a Harley but definitely better.
08-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Once I had finished painting and cleaning things I started putting everything back together. Around this time I also received the new tubes and tires I had ordered and the seat was back from being upholstered. I ended up going with a dual sport tire in a larger size front and rear. I think it really helped to give it a more aggressive look.
08-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Looks like it is coming together pretty good. Without a complete bike pic, it kinda like the 5 blind men trying to describe an elephant. :lol4:
08-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Ha, you're right. I feel like it's taking me longer to track down the pics of the build and post them than it took to do the build in the first place. I found some more pics that show the whole bike pretty much how it looks today. If you can bear with me I will get them uploaded tomorrow. Thanks for your interest though, I appreciate it.:)
08-22-2014, 06:45 AM
It's fun watching it come together.:lol4: I's something you can really be proud of when you are done. :cool:
08-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Once it had new oil, plugs and some fresh gas in it (plus a new battery from Walmart) it started fairly quickly. The biggest problem I had once I got it running was the front brake caliper would lock up and not let the pressure release once you let go of the brake lever. I ended up taking the caliper and master cylinder apart twice to clean everything before it started working properly.
After adding everything up, I think I crossed the $400 mark. Itís probably more that the bike is worth but I enjoyed it. I really didnít have much extra money to spend on a bike, especially on one that I wasnít even sure would ever run again. But since the cost was spread out over nearly a year it didnít hurt too bad.
Overall, it would have been nice to tear it all the way down to the frame, polish and powder coat everything and pull apart the motor but, considering the time and budget I had to work with, I think I accomplished most of what I wanted. And most importantlyÖ. it runs Ö. really well in fact. Please see the attached photos that show it all back together, thanks!