Wanting to upgrade but not sure which bike to get
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M-50

Question Wanting to upgrade but not sure which bike to get

Good Morning,

My name is clay and I'm currently deployed. I've been riding for just over a year now and own the excellent Suzuki M-50 motorcycle. when I bought it, I intended it to be my starter bike and now I am considering an upgrade. My problem is...I don't know which bike to get. I'd like a touring bike which can ride 2-up easily and yet still be fairly agile for daily commuting to/from work.

Being deployed, I can purchase a new 2011 Harley motorcycle for a fairly good price (military discount of 8.5% off MSRP and such). So of course I am looking at the Harley Road King as a top choice but I also love suzuki's so much I am also considering a C-90T or C-109RT. I haven't really looked at Hondas, Yamahas, or Kawaskis but am open to suggestions. The C-90 & C-109 were last produced in 2009 which makes finding one a bit hard to do but they can be had for half the price of a new Road King. I'm all about saving some $$$ and am not convinced that Harleys are the best bikes any more.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions if you wouldn't mind sharing them for a newbie. Thank you and good bless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonb78 View Post
    I'm all about saving some $$$ and am not convinced that Harleys are the best bikes any more.
    Deployed where, exactly ??

If you will have to ship the bike back to the US, shipping costs can quickly wipe out any discount you get.

"Saving money" and a "big Harley" usually don't go together......but I think their big touring bikes are fine machines.

Don't get in a hurry; shop around; sit on a LOT; test ride as many as possible.
    Don't let a tiny few dollars difference keep you from the bike that you really want......because it fits your needs the best.

Cookie Monstress.
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Kawi VN 2000
    First...thank you for your service... sincerely...

I also started on the c50 and then test rode C90 and 109RT, but I enjoyed the Vulcan line a lot more. Went to a Vulcan 1500 classic which was a fine bike but a bit small for me.....but then moved to the VN2000 which is everything I ever want....and would easily handle two up and touring. None of them ever have an adequate seat, lol...but for power and size and quality I love Vulcans. I suggest you ride one ! Kawi also makes Voyager for serious touring..

Be safe !

Annie

Quote Originally Posted by claytonb78 View Post
    Good Morning,

My name is clay and I'm currently deployed. I've been riding for just over a year now and own the excellent Suzuki M-50 motorcycle. when I bought it, I intended it to be my starter bike and now I am considering an upgrade. My problem is...I don't know which bike to get. I'd like a touring bike which can ride 2-up easily and yet still be fairly agile for daily commuting to/from work.

Being deployed, I can purchase a new 2011 Harley motorcycle for a fairly good price (military discount of 8.5% off MSRP and such). So of course I am looking at the Harley Road King as a top choice but I also love suzuki's so much I am also considering a C-90T or C-109RT. I haven't really looked at Hondas, Yamahas, or Kawaskis but am open to suggestions. The C-90 & C-109 were last produced in 2009 which makes finding one a bit hard to do but they can be had for half the price of a new Road King. I'm all about saving some $$$ and am not convinced that Harleys are the best bikes any more.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions if you wouldn't mind sharing them for a newbie. Thank you and good bless.
    Ride long and prosper !

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Don't get in a hurry; shop around; sit on a LOT; test ride as many as possible.
    Don't let a tiny few dollars difference keep you from the bike that you really want......because it fits your needs the best.

Once you start going very big you will loose some of that agility. Not to say an 800 lbs HD can't handle but you lose the "flickability" of a smaller bike. I have heard great things about both the Yamaha Warrior (which I have seen both bagged or hot rodded) and the Raider.

If you have buddies who ride, try a bike swap for a few miles. If you don't have buddies who ride, get some.
    I suggest trying bikes that you may not initialy have much interest in. You may imagine you want a big bagger and find you realy want a ST1300 with tour bags. Or that a new B-King sitting on the showroom collecting dust is priced incredably low for the bike and leaves a lot of room for accessory baggage and a fairing.

NMc

Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Yamaha Roadliner
    Like ER says.... Go sit and test ride as many different bikes that you can. I just sold my C90 (which was a great bike, it was just time to move on) and bought a Yamaha Roadliner which I hope to keep for a while... but ya never know. And thank you for your service!
    TJ

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    2 factors, with other nuances to be considered.

1) How comfortable does it sit, this is where it's great to be able to take a test drive if at all possible.

2) how big of a bike engine wise and weight wise do you want.

Having just purchased a Kawasaki Concours (an old obsolete 99 model with a "mere" 1000 cc) I can tell you this.

A sport touring bike tends to be fast enough (mind you this is the obsolete model they built until 2006) and is fairly maneuverable.

Additionally, now that I think of it, the up front discount can be negated by finding a bike that's 3 - 5 years old that somebody else bought and didn't drive much.

Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M-50
    Thank you all for your advice. Right now I am mainly doing my research as I cannot ride motorcycles while deployed. It's forbidden. And shipping isn'ta problem on the Harleys as any bike I purchase here is made personally for me in the US and delivered. Sure, there's a handling fee but it isn't too bad.

And I actually want to purchase a slightly used bike. The thing with Harleys is that even slightly used...they're still very expensive. So if I want a Harley, I think I'm better off buying a new one with my military discount.

And I will admit, I haven't tried a lot of bikes. Before I bought my M-50 I did a lot of research before riding. By the time I was ready to test ride & purchase...I already made up my mind that I wanted the M-50. It had fuel injection, a shaft drive, and a very comfortable seat.

If I end up waiting until I get back home, I do plan to test ride a bunch of bikes before buying. The only thing I lose out in waiting is I won't be able to buy a Harley at a great deal. That's it and knowing how patient I am...I'lllikely wait unless I'm given some great advice and it pushes me over the edge to purchase. I will admit, I love the look of the Road King, the hard cases, the name, and the ability to completely customize it. Thank you very much for your advice.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    If you want a C90 , how about this 2006, purchased 7/07. Just took a 7000 mile coast to coast trip this summer. Bike has 39K miles and at $6295 would come complete with all touring accessories:
    2.5 gallon Gtank
    Road Burner Double Eagle w/SLT exhaust
    Gman Industries Bully +open K&N (full Stage 3)
    Hoppe Quadzilla Fairing w/ Eclipse 4000 CD/WMA and 3.5 mm input + 2-windshields (over $1700 MSRP)
    Corbin Solo seat with modified stock pillon
    Corbin backrest
    HID headlight
    Driving lights w/ Silverstar bulbs
    Cobra fatty bars
    Kury ISO pegs
    Leatherlyke bags
    Mutazu trunk w/rack on OEM chrome rack
    OEM touring backrest
    brake chrome all around
    chrome drive shaft cover
    Steble air horn
    all synthetic fluids and oil
    Timken tapered steering head bearings
    New Pirelli MT66 tires
    All OEM replaced parts (exhaust, seats, windshield etc).
    Transferable Warranty through July 2011

Last edited by Cirquerider; 12-19-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    Also includes OEM windshield for a lighter look and feel when wanted.

Leaned over, knee down
    Quote Originally Posted by tallannie View Post
    First...thank you for your service... sincerely...

Do some research on the new Victory’s ,the Cross Country and Cross Roads are very nice bikes.

I traded my 06 Road King for a Cross Country last summer and have not experienced any Harley remorse/envy yet.

As was said, with a bigger bike you will lose some/most of the nimble feeling of the "M" (I had an "M" in 05) and with the Vic you will feel the extra weight/size even more than the RK, epically when doing parking lot maneuvers, but once you get the Vic over 25MPH you will find that it handles quite a bit better than the HD.

Victory may have a military discount too.
    2009 BMW, R 1200 GS
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    2008 DR 650
    2004 BMW R1150RS
    2003 KTM 525 EX/C
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I always love it when people need to "hurry" because there's a "deal" for a "limited time."

These things rarely, if ever change my perspective on a purchase, because, until something is outlawed/banned outright, production of said item will go on.

The military discount of 8% is significant, but it can be offset by

a) the previous post, look at that bike, all decked out, not even asking what is all stuck into it
    b) the Harley you buy - that discount, will be offset by the goodies you will add on to make it comparable to said used bike

and finally
    c) just how far are you going to drive it annually? A lot of guys bought bikes when the price of gas peaked at over $4/gallon only to find out it wasn't all that and a bag of chips. The average (dated I'm sure by now) of 2900 miles per bike in the States is not that low without a reason - most of which is because it includes smaller (less than 500 cc) bikes which aren't driven much but still.

When I check KBB (by all means dig around there for reference) they list the big bikes @ 3,000 miles per year - which may be a guide, but I found an 11 year old bike with 16 k on the clock. So the low mileage deals can be found.

Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 V-Star 1300T
    My most recent upgrade was 2-1/2 years ago, from an 06 Suzuki S50 to an 08 Yamaha V-Star 1300T. Although the S50 was a lot of fun, the 1300T is an excellent 2-up touring bike.
    Last edited by tbsS50; 12-24-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Change date again.

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    Honda CBR1100XX & Gold Wing SE
    You've discribed precisely what you want as
    a Honda ST1100 or 1300.
    Forget about the cookie cutter bikes.
    Buy for what you want a bike to do.
    This is an incredible machine!
    You will not be disappointed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    Just use Motorcycles for Sale - Harley-Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and More - CycleTrader.com

There are lots of new 08/09 C109r's, C109RT's for
    $8,000 to 10,999.
    Used ones with low mileage, expand the search to include C90's, C90t's. The prices are good.
    Just select Suzuki, then Boulivard, then chose the model you like.

Some have even tempted me and I downsized from a Goldwing to a C50SE.

Good luck.

My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki C90se
    I have the 2008 C90SE, and I love the bike .It has alot of power and torque even with 2 up. The down side small fuel cap. So I invested in the G-Man industries ( G-tank ) check the web site. Know in order to mount the tank the stock exhaust needs to be replaced because of the cat. converter. I also bought their Bully 111 fuel controller. the results 25% hp increase and some 30% torque gain . With all the fuel located under the seat balance is very good. Hope this helps .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links