XVS-1100 mod ideas.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom

XVS-1100 mod ideas.

Ok so ive been mulling around an idea in my head for awhile now. Want to see what everyone thinks. So i have a 99 yanaha xvs-1100 V-star custom. I have been wanting to put a Harley fairing on my bike. The classic style. I want to add a wireless key and put the harley switch on the tank. I can figure the wiring out and mounting the fairing. gauges i want to add is a volt meter, oil temp, and a dual head temp. But i wonder how hard it would be to move the gauge on the tank into the fairing if it would fit. and if i could modify the harley tank chrome onto it. Or if it would be easier to put a harley tank on. would love to mount harley hand controls but i think i would have to change the bars. My goal is to confuse people looking at it. Well more than already. lol. Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
    My goal is to confuse people looking at it. Well more than already. lol. Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Do you really want honest opinions ?
    I doubt that you really want to hear what I think.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2002 SV-650N, Yamaha 1100 custom,2007
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/252104645212176/ these guys and ladies know all about modding the 1100

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Do you really want honest opinions ?
    I doubt that you really want to hear what I think.
    unless its something like if you want it to look like a harley then buy one. I want to make something that looks well done and almost factory. If i didnt want opinions i wouldnt have asked. You can disagree with something and still be respectful.

My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulivard M95 VZ1600
    I have seen pics of bikes looking like a Harley after adding the fairing, lightbar, bags and trunk. All it takes is money.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    I think you can do cosmetic stuff until you are broke and that is OK with me.
    Make it look like an outhouse on wheels for all I care.

BUT.....then I think that trying to make any FUNCTIONAL changes is not a wise thing to undertake.
    Your ideas about changing the key mechanism and gauges has a high potential for messing up how the bike runs, in my opinion, and is not a good idea.

But it is your time and your money and your bike........and most people who come up with ideas like this REALLY don't care what anybody else thinks.

I wish you good luck.
    I hope you end up with what you want.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    I have seen pics of bikes looking like a Harley after adding the fairing, lightbar, bags and trunk. All it takes is money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think you can do cosmetic stuff until you are broke and that is OK with me.
    Make it look like an outhouse on wheels for all I care.

BUT.....then I think that trying to make any FUNCTIONAL changes is not a wise thing to undertake.
    Your ideas about changing the key mechanism and gauges has a high potential for messing up how the bike runs, in my opinion, and is not a good idea.

But it is your time and your money and your bike........and most people who come up with ideas like this REALLY don't care what anybody else thinks.

I wish you good luck.
    I hope you end up with what you want.
    the key switch will still be there and could still be used if i wire it a certian way.. All it does is connect a few wires, simple. the main gauge will not be changed, just moved. And the bike runs fine with no gauge. adding an rfid key on an older bike is easy. Ive had to hotwire it myself once because of a lost key. easier than you might think. I guess i could add a gps speedo to the fairing. but that defeats the purpose of wanting the gauge off the tank. You cant tell me that looking down to check speed while doing 80mph isnt dangerous. And i look around when buying something. not going to pay harley tax for something. But that being said your only issue is with modifying the wiring. I completely understand that. I was more interested in how people think it would look and not how difficult it will be to achieve. i like the look of harleys stuff. But i dont think id ever want to own one. in the 8k and year ive had my bike i have had one issue with it (that wasnt my fault), and that was a bad connector on the rear coil. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored Links