Crazy 2015 Indian Chieftain Performance
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Crazy 2015 Indian Chieftain Performance

Gotta bust out and brag on Todd and the mechanics at ‘Indian Motorcycles of Libertyville’, IL. Per my request for mega performance, Todd and team completed an aggressive engine upgrade on my 2015 ‘Indian Chieftain’. Basically, I received more than I could ever have dreamt of! My Chieftain now puts out a true 128 ft-lbs. of torque and an amazing ~115 HP. No kidding!! This type of upgrade is not for everyone, but … if you have the experience and love torque and speed … it’s both a missile and a supersized tractor. It simply rips!!!

I am probably forgetting something here, but In a nutshell, the pistons, connecting rods and some valve-train components were implemented from the ‘Indian 116 kit’ but, with special ‘Todd engineered’ cams (for those whom wish to know: 595 Lift; durations of 220 [Intake] and 244 [Exhaust]; 110 cam-centerline), oversized injectors (450cc), ‘Rush’ 3-inch baffles and an ‘Libertyville Indian X Pipe’. The motor is gulping air via a factory Indian round air filter. Finally, there is the super-secret ingredient - which is Todd’s special timing/mapping for the engine.

I have been riding for around 46 years (racing and pleasure) and am truly surprised at my new ride’s performance. When riding, I can feel the torque output climbing aggressively (but, also amazingly smooth) to a sweet spot of just over 3K rpm … to over 4.5K rpm. After that (with my shoulder joints about to rip apart from holding on) … the motor keeps pulling strong to redline. Not recommended for all, but I can be in 3rd, then punch it … and have the tire break loose … and sometimes complimented with a bit of front wheel lift. Again, very fun! Thank you Todd & Indian team for making my dream upgrade a reality! Yins da bomb.

Will keep all updated… Gotta ride! Now very Happy Tom

Tom Larsen, Skokie, IL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crazy 2015 Indian Chieftain Performance-capture.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    OK, gotta ask, about how much did all of that COST you to have done ?

I suspect that you could get similar performance from a stock metric "super bike" too, probably for a lot less money.

I just never quite understood paying big bucks to buy a LOT more HP than you can safely use for anything on the street.

Now.....if you are building a track machine......that's a whole different story.

Edit: Is this the same bike that was cutting out on you last year ??
    Sure hope it is not still doing that.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 06-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    that is epic man. can freak out the rockets with that power. your bike has almost double the torque of mine. Dont worry about easy rider. He is very knowledgeable, but alas a bit grumpy, and seems to be a pessimist. Yes you could have gotten a rocket. But that isnt the point is it? I have plans for my bike also. Yes i could just buy a bigger bike. Or one that has the stuff i want. But we like making them ours. Something that we are proud of. F**k what people think of our bikes. All that matters is that we like them. I am in the process of making my bike have the bager look. Its a long process. But it isn't custom if you bought it that way.
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Will try to answer the questions above and speak to your statements. // In regards to cost ... it did cost me a bit (at least a bit more than the 116 kit alone) ... mainly because of the custom Libertyville Indian cams, oversized injectors and custom mapping. I think that cost may go down as more requests are made or as "kits" developed - if that's their plan. // I am no longer a rocket rider but ... now love torque ... thus, the Indian. // On a side note... I have already freaked out a rocket rider (think it was a Kawasaki - just saw green). Came up on him and he accelerated hard ... as well as I... I quickly pullled a few hundred yards ahead until he eventually shot by me at about 1 zillion rpm - and trading thumbs-up with him. // DivineChaos ... Agree... we like what we like... hope the mods go well!

Easy_Rider... Good memory (I wish I had that)... Yes, this is the same bike that was cutting-out while riding. It was a nightmare to figure out - I am trying to forget. Turned out it was a hard to detect breaker box thing. Now all is well.

Plan to ride lots this weekend... will provide an update.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasglarsen View Post
    Easy_Rider... Good memory (I wish I had that)... Yes, this is the same bike that was cutting-out while riding.
    Truth is.....it was just a coincidence that I had looked at that thread a few minutes earlier.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links