New Forum Section - Honda CTX!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Seat Tester
    Posts
    99

    New Forum Section - Honda CTX!


    Honda's new CTX series is all about taking the best of motorcycling, adding new technology, and making it even better. The modern engines and chassis designs mean you get great performance, superior fuel economy, and plenty of useable power. The laid-back seating position is just as comfortable for a weekday commute, a weekend cruise, or a week-long vacation trip. And their low center of gravity makes for a better all-around riding experience, especially for new riders.
    1950 BSA B33 Dirt Track Racer
    1967 Suzuki M12 50cc
    1978 Honda CB125S
    2010 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    Location
    Hensley, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,015
    New technology and it's chain drive?
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

    Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

  4. #3
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Anyone here own one? Can it handle the Fwy @90 mph for decent stretches?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Super Moderator

    My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    12,061
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    Can it handle the Fwy @90 mph for decent stretches?
    Only if you put LOUD pipes on it.

    If you are shopping for your first bike, you are asking the wrong questions.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

  7. #5
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Yes first bike, what questions SHOULD I be asking?

  8. #6
    Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Location
    Near a Computer
    Posts
    1,398
    it will do 90mph on the freeway. as a new rider you shouldnt. heck i've ridden around most of LA. and its either been gridlock or theres been plenty of room to do 75 in the right hand lane.

  9. #7
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    it will do 90mph on the freeway. as a new rider you shouldnt. heck i've ridden around most of LA. and its either been gridlock or theres been plenty of room to do 75 in the right hand lane.
    I am up in the inland empire, cars hit 80-85 here w/o issues, figured a bike would do up to 90, I rarely see bikes on the right lane, unless they are exiting . they tend to stick to the carpool lane @ 5-10 miles above flow of traffic, whatever the flow is.

  10. #8
    Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Location
    Near a Computer
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    I am up in the inland empire, cars hit 80-85 here w/o issues, figured a bike would do up to 90, I rarely see bikes on the right lane, unless they are exiting . they tend to stick to the carpool lane @ 5-10 miles above flow of traffic, whatever the flow is.
    the LA freeways are not the place to learn how to emergency brake, read other drivers, deal with hitting road debris/slick roads and other basic skills that will keep you alive.

    it has nothing to do with what others are capable of doing. it has to do with you having the skillset to safely ride at those speeds with the idiots on the road. get some miles under your belt before you tackle the freeway.

  11. #9
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    the LA freeways are not the place to learn how to emergency brake, read other drivers, deal with hitting road debris/slick roads and other basic skills that will keep you alive.

    it has nothing to do with what others are capable of doing. it has to do with you having the skillset to safely ride at those speeds with the idiots on the road. get some miles under your belt before you tackle the freeway.
    I am planning on doing so, I am pretty lucky work is only 15 miles away AND that the streets are more than acceptable to get there, that said I would not want to be stuck with a bike that is going to "rattle/vibrate" pretty bad WHEN I do manage to start riding the FWY.

  12. #10
    Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Location
    Near a Computer
    Posts
    1,398
    well the only bikes that wont break a sweat doing 90 are the crotch rockets (liter+) or the big cruisers.. (1500+) none of which are good learning bikes,

    most everything else is designed to operate closer to the speed limit.

    there are plenty of used cheap bikes you can buy. ride for a few thousand miles and sell for essentially what you paid for it. especially in LA with year round riding weather.


    usually i recommend something smaller than the below example but you seem pretty set on buying freeway friendly.
    example. close to the ctx in terms of power. but significantly less invested if you lay it down or decide you dont like riding. and it'll be several years before you can outride it.
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/4014507526.html

    Last edited by slozomby; 08-21-2013 at 02:22 PM.

  13. #11
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    well the only bikes that wont break a sweat doing 90 are the crotch rockets (liter+) or the big cruisers.. (1500+) none of which are good learning bikes,

    most everything else is designed to operate closer to the speed limit.

    there are plenty of used cheap bikes you can buy. ride for a few thousand miles and sell for essentially what you paid for it. especially in LA with year round riding weather.


    Honda Nighthawk 750
    Thanks, been mulling saving my pennies for a while & buying used, financing on a used bike is all over the freaking place, 12-20% depending on the creditor, used bike @5k had payments of 130+ IIRC, new bike (M50 @0% APR) was 140 or so, suzuki has that 0% APR across most tiers.
    90 is exagerating, I would say 80 is about normal (5 above the 75 area here)

  14. #12
    Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Location
    Near a Computer
    Posts
    1,398
    so back on topic.

    im really happy honda's back in the middle weight standards again. gives me something to look at besides used nighthawks now if they'd just offer abs on the non DCT model.
    Last edited by slozomby; 08-21-2013 at 02:31 PM.

  15. #13
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    so back on topic.

    im really happy honda's back in the middle weight standards again. gives me something to look at besides used nighthawks now if they'd just offer abs on the non DCT model.
    been reading up on it, seems ground clearance might be an issue.
    2014 Honda CTX700 First Ride - Motorcycle USA

  16. #14
    Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Location
    Near a Computer
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    been reading up on it, seems ground clearance might be an issue.
    2014 Honda CTX700 First Ride - Motorcycle USA
    yeah, its not built as a canyon carver. its more towards the old ujm's that do a little of everything.

  17. #15
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    TBD
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    yeah, its not built as a canyon carver. its more towards the old ujm's that do a little of everything.
    shame, Canyons around Azuza are nice & full of guys on bikes


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Posted in the Honda Section
    By Smurf in forum Mechanics Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 04:14 AM
  2. How to Section
    By smikail in forum Suggestion Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 08:56 PM
  3. Review section of the forum
    By Jayhawkk in forum Suggestion Box
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 06:21 PM
  4. New section needed on Forum
    By drgibson in forum Suggestion Box
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
  5. Add Honda section since we lost our home
    By Zip326 in forum Suggestion Box
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 06:57 AM

Search tags for this page

ctx 700 forum

,
ctx 700dct cruise at 90 mph
,
ctx forum
,
ctx700 forum
,
honda 700 ctx forum
,
honda ctx
,

honda ctx 700 forum

,

honda ctx forum

,
honda ctx700 forum
,
honda ctx700 or vulcan 900
Click on a term to search for related topics.