International Bike Show, SC - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    I don't want to discourage anyone from buying the most expensive helmet they can afford, but still I'd like to mention the article posted here. It's an interesting point of view and a lengthy article to be sure, but something you might want to consider.

So what do I wear? It's a Bell Sprint I bought for about $150, the reason being that it's a good fit and a good helmet. And there are others I'm sure. Maybe someday I'll find an expensive helmet that's a better fit, has better ventilation, and is quieter, which the more expensive helmets usually are, and I'll get one. For now however I'm confident with what I have.

Just a thought, for what it's worth. You should buy a helmet that you feel good about.
    Last edited by Thundurburd; 02-24-2009 at 07:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundurburd View Post
    Just a thought, for what it's worth. You should buy a helmet you that you feel good about.
    Yes, as with life in general, you should try to avoid things you DON'T feel good about.

When getting biking accessories, one should at least have enough $$$ left over to put gas in the tank !!!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

We're still thinking up a doozie
    I feel like I'm looking at a vending machine, filled with helmets, and I can't decide if I want salty or sweet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

I am a new rider as well and I have to agree with Porcelina here. I bought a Shoei also (RF 1000 by the way) and I bought it for two reasons (1) it seem to fit OK, I really could not tell the difference in many of the helmets, it was snug and light weight and I liked the 'advertised' venting but (2) the main reason was I was somehow convinced, and still believe, that the Shoei was/is going to protect my head better. I know that may be
    all advertising and hype, but in my mind I somehow feel better, feel safer, feel more confident with this helmet.

I believe in helmets and if I have a time when the helmet is field tested, I'd hate to see it fail and then wonder would it have been different if I had spent the extra $200. Again, I know that could be advertising and sales pitch but I am not willing to bet my brain matter on that. Probably no difference in the helmets, but who really knows.

We're still thinking up a doozie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1975Tiger View Post
    I am a new rider as well and I have to agree with Porcelina here. I bought a Shoei also (RF 1000 by the way)
    And it was well worth the extra bucks? No looking back?

I talked with my BIL (bro-in-law) last night, and he has a RF 1000 for his wife as well, and recommended the Shoei brand. He agreed it was costly, but is without a doubt part of the price of safety for him.

Anyone else want to hop on this train, and put their opinion up as the best helmet they think is out there?

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcelina Goddess View Post
    Anyone else want to hop on this train, and put their opinion up as the best helmet they think is out there?
    The best helmet is one that fits right. The first helmet I had was not tight enough and loosened up to the point where it fit way too big. The helmet I have now for $150 and the next model up (same brand) for $200 fit differently, the expensive one seemed about a half size smaller. Find a dealer that has someone experienced in fitting helmets and make sure you get one snug enough.

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcelina Goddess View Post
    I feel like I'm looking at a vending machine, filled with helmets, and I can't decide if I want salty or sweet.
    ermm... why not get both in one?
    don't look at a helmet with your eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Thundurburd View Post
    The best helmet is one that fits right. The first helmet I had was not tight enough and loosened up to the point where it fit way too big. The helmet I have now for $150 and the next model up (same brand) for $200 fit differently, the expensive one seemed about a half size smaller. Find a dealer that has someone experienced in fitting helmets and make sure you get one snug enough.
    bang on.

you should be buying a helmet for the "options" you are looking for.
    here are a few things you have to look for in a helmet
    -fit
    -snell/dot rated

things you may want to look for
    - venting
    - anti fog visor
    - ease of replacing/changing out the visor
    - quick release buckle
    - noise reduction
    - weight

heavy helmets can be tiresome on those long rides.. etc..

don't get me wrong.. shoei make good helmets... just make sure it fits well...
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    The thing about helmet is that they are not all shaped the same. I wear an Shoei RF-1000 and a Scorpion 700. The Shoei is awsome. Is is $200 better than the Scorpion? I am not sure. Any way, back to my point. Some helmets are designed for people with rounder heads (HJC) and some are better for us oval shaped heads. My Shoei has a bit more of an oval shape to it than the Scorpion. The pressure around the top of your head should be the same all the way around. If there is more pressure on the front, you need a more round shape. If there is more pressure on the sides, you need a oval shape. I have had Arai in the past and they are the best as far as fit. Most dealers who sell them know how to fit them and Arai makes helmets for most shaped heads and then they have extra interior pads to fine tune the fit. For example, I wear a Large with a Medium pad. Fits like a glove.

I am going to be due for a new helmet next year and planned on going back to Arai. But I tried on Shark last week. I may give them a shot. A lot less expensive and seemed to fit and feel like an Arai. If it don't work out, I can use it as my second helmet and get an Arai.

A helmet that fits right makes all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by Davecm203; 03-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links