screwin around with the sun
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 - Black and Gold

screwin around with the sun

So a few times this summer I have needed to use my GPS on the cellphone. It becomes battery intensive with the turn by turn navigation.

I didn't want to hardware a 12v supply to my M50 and in my case, devices that I own are typically powered via USB. So I put together a solar powered USB charger. This gives me the ability to charge while riding but also to just throw it in the bags whenever I don't want to use it.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a solar cell (14.99). I had a old USB port from a computer so I yanked that out. Cut off the excess wires (white & green). Spliced red/red black/black. Soldered everything up. Put some heatshrink in the wiring to protect it and placed the housing back together.

I tested it out on the volt meter first and then I plugged in my Blackberry. It entered charging mode in a few seconds and I was done.

Anyways, I thought I'd share as it is a cheap solution and requires pretty much nothing. I'll be placing some magnetic tape on the backside so that when I use it I can just sit it on the tank. I also plan on making a quick disconnect for the unit and making the USB port a permanent part of either my speedo or the ABS tank cover.

...and the gods made Heavy Metal and they saw that it was good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    It's such a small cell. What's the output?

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 - Black and Gold
    its rated at 6-volts at 50mAh. I am seeing around 3ish in normal lighting conditions. If I go into the direct sun I probably would get the full 6.

...and the gods made Heavy Metal and they saw that it was good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    a great idea.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Thanks for the info. I wish we (humans) could find a way to utilize solar energy more than we do now. It's truly one of our inexhaustible resources.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStranger View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wish we (humans) could find a way to utilize solar energy more than we do now. It's truly one of our inexhaustible resources.
    Not really. our sun only has about 6 billion years left!!
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

That is pretty cool man! Will the blackberry get F'ed up if it gets near the magnets though? Will a lower charging voltage screw anything up?

Anyway I'm all for using the sun....I wish it would show itself a whole lot more around here. It's been raining for 3 days with 3 more to go here

My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50 - Da Blue Bomber!
    Very impressive!! I have always felt that us M50 guys are smarter than the average rider.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50
    Great job.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but found a cheap solution on eBay that included a rechargable battery.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    05 Black M50
    nice....great thinking
    2005 M50 Black: "Black Betty" John's Kit Forward Controls/Saddlemen Explorer/Kury Iso-Grips/Stiletto End Caps/Kury Throttle Boss/De-Paired/De-Badged/pac50t Naked Jug Kit/PCIII USB/Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns/Saddlemen Bags/Cobra Sissybar/Metz ME880's/Slipstreamer Windscreen/C50 mirrors Blacked Out: Headlight Bucket, Mirrors, Front Signals, Radiator Cover, Neck Covers, Speedo Cover, Tank Cowl, Fender Rails, Sissybar, Saddlebag Supports

Sponsored Links