Nuvi 660 and planning routes
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Star Roadliner S

Nuvi 660 and planning routes

Does anyone know of a program or good site I can plan out a route for a ride and then loading it to the Nuvi?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
    George

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    With a converter app you can route in Google Maps and load that. You'll probably find a thread on it here.

This may get you started. There may be newer, simpler methods. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Last edited by Clint; 01-31-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by gww0357 View Post
    Does anyone know of a program or good site I can plan out a route for a ride and then loading it to the Nuvi?
    How complex do you figure the route will be ??

I've found it to be fairly easy to get the GPS to route (close to) how I want it to by just setting enough "via" points......and specifying the right options.....like "don't use freeways".

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2007 Star Roadliner S
    Thanks for the idea but the 660 only allows like two waypoints that I know of.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    That doesn't sound right.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    2007 H-D FLHTCU

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    With a converter app you can route in Google Maps and load that. You'll probably find a thread on it here.

This may get you started. There may be newer, simpler methods. GMapToGPX Communications From Elsewhere

You can also find trip stops via Google Maps, then click the Send button/link, then choose GPS, then your Brand & transfer it to your GPS. I've done it for trips on my wife's TomTom.

I don't have a Garmin (...yet - considering getting one); but with TomTom you can go to their web site and plant trips and then download to the GPS - Does Garmin have anything similar?
    Last edited by IronMan; 03-04-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Additional Thought

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    I have a Nuvi 660. It is out of date compared to the 765T and never did routes. The 660 provided me with four years of good service and with updated 2010.03 maps, is still providing service in the wife's car.

Software is available from Garmin or off a torrent in the form of MapSource. If you need help finding it, let me know.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Star Roadliner S
    Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a copy of Waypoint and Trip Manager from Garmin buy I am still unable to get it to do what I want. Can anyone give me a simple run down on how I can plan out a route on the computer and transfer it down to the Nuvi 660?
    Thanks you again

Just Won't Go Away !
    Quote Originally Posted by gww0357 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a copy of Waypoint and Trip Manager from Garmin buy I am still unable to get it to do what I want. Can anyone give me a simple run down on how I can plan out a route on the computer and transfer it down to the Nuvi 660?
    Thanks you again
    The Nuvi 660 quote "doesn't support multidestination route creation." Not all Garmins are compatable with creating multi-point routes on the computer and syncing them to the device. The 660 might be more of a point A to B device where you can manually add waypoints.

All the Nuvi's are considered "car" GPS units. I however have a Nuvi 205 on my bike. I can't download multi-point specific routes from the computer either. But I use it for more point to point navigation and use the "go home" feature when out on rides where I'm exploring new roads. I can download point A to point B routes off mapquest however, but that's about it.

If you really want a motorcycle specific, waterproof unit that allows for complex preroute planning on the computer get one of the Zumo models. They start at $600 and go up however.

Sponsored Links