Tires
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Tires

Question Tires

So i am looking at the infamous michelin pilots for my gsxr 1000. i want to ride with more confidence in my canyon riding and would like a tire that has great handling and some comfort. i see they have pilotpowers, streets, 2cts and other things can someone shine a light from what i want... THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    I swear by the Pilot Powers 2ct. They have great characteristics and the 2ct has surprisingly good wear. There is a review of some tires in the current issue of Sport Rider and the Pilot Powers are one of them. I can't find it on their website though.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Honda CBR1000RR Repsol K5

Pilot Power 2CT is the best sportbike tire there is. Lifelength has a lot to do with what kind of riding you do, and also what kind of tarmac you're running on. I live in Norway and made 8000km on my rear tire, and that's very good for a bike like this, and a tire like that. I do trackdays on them too, so 8000km is pretty good I think

2CT is harder in the middle, and softer in the edges.

And of course, they look pretty darn good
    Quote Originally Posted by tnichols View Post
    He's still kinda creepy....I mean he pees on his lemon tree!!!
    Comment to Anthony Hopkins' character regarding Silence Of The Lambs versus World's Fastest Indian

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by jprisme View Post
    So i am looking at the infamous michelin pilots for my gsxr 1000. i want to ride with more confidence in my canyon riding and would like a tire that has great handling and some comfort. i see they have pilotpowers, streets, 2cts and other things can someone shine a light from what i want... THanks
    I have a set of 2 ct's on my bike. My second set. To be honest though...my old dunlops worked just as well. i know the 2 ct's are to grab..but so did my dunlops. i get the 2cts for less money now so i keep getting them.
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    I have a set of 2 ct's on my bike. My second set. To be honest though...my old dunlops worked just as well. i know the 2 ct's are to grab..but so did my dunlops. i get the 2cts for less money now so i keep getting them.
    The Dunlops are good too. I have gotten a lot more mileage out of the 2CT's as I ride the bike to work and school as well as do some touring on it. The center lasts a lot longer on the rear. (Of course this is all relative as they still won't last near as long as a sport touring tire.)

My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Quote Originally Posted by ricketycricket View Post
    I've got pirelli diablo corsicas.. i've ridden about 3k miles on them, man these things are STICKY. great tires IMO. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
    How do they seem to be wearing. Not bad I am geussing if you have 3k miles on them.

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    86 GSXR750G, 93 GSX1100G, 89 YSR50
    Right now I have the 2CTs on the old gixxer, which replaced the regular Pilot Powers.
    I put about 7000 street miles on them, and 6 trackdays/open practices. On the street the regular Powers should take anything outside of stupidity you can throw at them.
    The 2CTs have the same compound in ths middle, so I would expect them to last as long on the street.

i was into the michelin but my pocket took me to the bridgestones... I got the bt 002 and they are lovely!!!! they hold and stick great... i have bt 002 in the front and bt 016 in the back.. the reason for that is it has a triple compound. hard medium and soft so i can get the wear i need... the bt 002 is a very nice tire for holding the turn medium/soft. more to come as i break them in.

My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    The Michelins are expensive. I have debated about trying something else myself. I just don't want to lose the confidence that I have with the Pilot Powers.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Honda CBR1000RR Repsol K5
    Tires is what's keep the day up 'n up, and your bike too. Tires are the most important thing on your bike, yeah really.
    What about them green papers.. ?
    Quote Originally Posted by tnichols View Post
    He's still kinda creepy....I mean he pees on his lemon tree!!!
    Comment to Anthony Hopkins' character regarding Silence Of The Lambs versus World's Fastest Indian

yeah gixxerman i know tires are the most important but i am not going to do a 51.4 degree lean lol "esp. on the road". bridgestone had a triple compound rather than michelin double compound and generally i can/get decent miles out of bridgestone so i just upgraded the tire rather than replace the whole formula.

My Bike(s)
    1995 Kawasaki ZX11, 2004 Haybusa, 2005 ZZR- 600, 2000 GSXR-750, 1997 GSXR- 600.
    I have 5 bikes and ride them all in the canyon, all my bikes have Bridge-stone BT-023 they stick really well in the curves. especially on the Hayabusa. I only run 190 in the rear 120 front get the set for $238.00 E-Bay.
    Last edited by Warbird49; 12-11-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Sponsored Links