Carb Help?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Carb Help?

Where Am I ?

Unhappy Carb Help?

These are the carbs off my 1990 Katana 750, they supposedly came off a similar year GSXR. I found a small cut in one of the pipes and I have no idea what to do about it.
    These tiny metallic pipes appear to be pressure fitted and seem very fragile, a friend suggested soldering the pipe but I am afraid of getting solder in the line and obstructing flow.
    I have not been able to find any replacements for sale and even while looking through the diagrams on bike-bandit, I can't seem to find any part in the pictures that resembles these pipes.
    Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Those pipes are not replacable. If you want a flawless fix, you will have to get a new carb body for that carb. Those are not easy to come by without buying a whole set of carbs, new or used. Believe me, i've looked. Any ways you can just mix up some jb weld and smear it on there sealing it up and it will work perfectly. It won't look too pretty, but will perform flawlessly. Just make sure you let the jb weld set up and harden properly before firing it up, or you could possibly suck a chunk into the carb and that would be a whole new can of worms. Good luck with your bike man.

Where Am I ?
    Sounds good; I'll try the jb weld way.
    Thanks man!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

No problem

Where Am I ?
    Results:
    While attempting to bend the pipe back to its original position in order to get the thinnest crack possible prior to applying the JB Weld.. I ended up breaking it the rest of the way.
    The break didn't effect the lower connection and had just enough of a jagged edge to fit back together like a puzzle piece. I used a rubber band to keep the pipe tightly in place and then mixed the JB Weld in a paper cup. I took the inside of a pen and a pin and taped them together to create a long application tool and used enough JB weld to make a nice thick coat all the way around the pipe.
    It's not pretty..
    But it worked like a charm.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by TheWretched; 08-20-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Awesome

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Good job.

If that ever fails try to find someone who can silver solder or braze it together.Aplummer might be able to help you with it.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    I've had good luck with JB Weld on many projects. A tip: set your oven to its lowest temp and bake your repair for 10 minutes or so. JB Weld hardens in no time when warm.

Help a guy learn something new... what is that brass line? Vacuum?

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    93 Katana 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I've had good luck with JB Weld on many projects. A tip: set your oven to its lowest temp and bake your repair for 10 minutes or so. JB Weld hardens in no time when warm.

Help a guy learn something new... what is that brass line? Vacuum?

It's part of the "fuel enrichment" system, most people call the "choke" on a Kat.

Simply put... when you pull the "choke" lever, you open the plungers at the top of the carb bodies, allowing the vacuum to pull additional fuel directly from the bowls. This makes the starting fuel mixture richer for cold starts to be easier. If the "choke" isn't engaged, there ins't really a running issue as the plungers seals off the top, and the fuel in the bowls stops a vacuum leak from below.

Krey

Sponsored Links