where the heckawi navigation
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene

where the heckawi navigation

there obviously is no place to look at a map so how do i know where I am at? I was going to go to the southeast corner of the county to explore that area and I ended up going toward Tacoma according to the road signs. I can look at a map all day but I would just be wasting daylight. some rough roads out there and I had only enough gas to go where I was going without tapping into my reserve.
    with a broken reserve light wire I could have gotten stuck going up a mountain and trying to flip the valve to reserve.
    no particular question here but should I get a compass? gps/navigation system is a little out of my budget.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by limitedbyfourkawiby2 View Post
    there obviously is no place to look at a map so how do i know where I am at? I was going to go to the southeast corner of the county to explore that area and I ended up going toward Tacoma according to the road signs. I can look at a map all day but I would just be wasting daylight. some rough roads out there and I had only enough gas to go where I was going without tapping into my reserve.
    with a broken reserve light wire I could have gotten stuck going up a mountain and trying to flip the valve to reserve.
    no particular question here but should I get a compass? gps/navigation system is a little out of my budget.
    a compass by itself isnt all that usefull except to tell you what direction your are heading. there are classes to teach ya to navigate by map in the woods which is probably overkill for road use, also any detailed map of backroads covering a large area will be pretty hefty. and they get out of date. ive also been on roads that werent on any map. just a semipaved stretch of dirt between one county road and another that the locals used.

.your cheapest option if you have a smartphone or tablet is to use the built in maps, that will do in a pinch. or if your more adventurous then motionx for the iphone ($2) or back country navigator pro for android ($10) will cover most anyones mapping needs (road, topo, noaa).both have offline capabilites for mapping and the amount you can carry depends on phone capacity ( the 150mile radius around my house with road topo and nooa at max resolution is roughly 1GB).

most navigation systems are designed for turn by turn functionality and are pretty horrible as an actual map. but you can always get a supercheap one, and stuff it in a tank bag. my personal preference at that point would be to buy a cheap android tablet and use it as a gps. its cheaper than the higher end units with far more functionality.
    Last edited by slozomby; 03-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I am really not a big fan of the new electronic devices, they are nice to have for the right person, but if you are like me and the grizzly Adams type there is no need for such electronic dumbo jumbo.
    I want a magnetic finger inside a gauge with a tiny computer chip that says what way to turn to get where I want to go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    the grizzly Adams type .
    who cant read road map?

personally i like not having to carry separate gps/camera/phone/books and music.. just in case my electronic version fails ( hasnt happened yet) or runs out of juice ( which happens so a AA to usb charger comes in handy for extended trips to the middle of nowhere)

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    A road map doesn't fit on the dash like it used to in a car.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    tank bag.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I could look at a map all day then go out and get lost, why would I want to stop and look at a map?

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    im confused. you cant read a map, yet are worried about where to store them, and dont seem willing to learn to read a map. you dont want electronics which would read the map for you.

the only suggestion i have left is get a passenger who can read a map or is not afraid of electronics and ride with them.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    how am I supposed to be able to read a map if somebody else has a gps?

Fender Buffer
    My Bike(s)
    Honda RR8
    You reverse the steps required to read G.P.S. while somebody else is reading a map.
    [

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Almost like I took "get lost" literally, where do I find a gps? Not that i would buy one.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50

how would someone else's gps affect your map reading. NO ONE will tell you they are located at 36°36′N 121°54′W. they'll give you a city and a street and you trace lines on your map from where you are to where they want you to go. its not all that hard. or you type the address into your gps and it traces the lines for you and tells you when to turn. this is not rocket science. or even an elementary school science fair project.

there are a million places that sell gps devices. any electronics store, walmart/target/..., most camping/outdoor stores, well stocked truck stops. amazon, ebay, or a billion other online shopping sites. hell just type gps into google and click the shopping tab.

anyway i've provided all the information you need. in this and previous posts. your either trolling at this point or should not be operating a motor vehicle.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    well I found this rand mcnally map subaru on facebook, I was considering doing my gas tank.

Last edited by limitedbyfourkawiby2; 04-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Sponsored Links