Finally, Pics of my Light Bar mod, Long Overdue
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Blue with C50 Rear Fender

Finally, Pics of my Light Bar mod, Long Overdue

OK, here are the pics, and some information on my light bar mod, per the original version by SUNDUDE who learned from NA7A.

All information herein is in honor of these two individuals.

Lamps: PILOT - CYBER WHITE - NV501-W Driving Lights from Pep Boys, Just like SUNDUDE used. Approx $30

OK, first I redesigned the mounting angle, using a 14" long piece of 2"x2"x1/8" angle rather than a 1 1/2" angle. You will notice a slot in the center of the bottom leg for water drainage, as well as small holes on each end, that will be used for zip ties to hold down the wire harness.

This puts the inner bolt for each lamp right in front of the fork, but the 2" angle allows the mounting holes to be placed back far enough to let put the vertical lag of the angle out far enough for the bolt to clear the fork. I used 1/4" dia. by 3/4" long Stainless Steel bolts with fender washers and then regular washers on top of that to mount the lamp mounts to the angle. The reason for all of the washers is that the mounting plate for the lamps are plastic, and I wanted to spread the compression load out over more of the surface.

Than I mounted the lights, and added extensions to the black and white wires. To do this, I cliped off the connectors and used red inline crimps to connect the extensions to the existing lamp wires. The extensions were made long enough to bring together and extend together about 6". I also offset the ends of the white wire about 1 1/2" longer that the black to keep the connectors from ending up in the same location. I sliped the approptiate shrink tube over the wire paires, leaving about 3 inches of bare wires oncovered, and shrunk them doun. I then brought the white and black wires together, into the same end of separate red inline crimps. Than the white and black pairs were extended from the other end of the crimp with a single 8" peice of the same colored wire. Another peice of shring was then slid over the white and black wire and down over the shrink covering the wire pairs untill it reached the point of seperation to each side of the bracket. After shrinking this new tube I crimped red spade connectors to the now single black and white wire ends.

See next post for further information.
    Last edited by old new biker; 07-26-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    DJ DRIVE - C90 Rear End Swap (14% lower RPM's)
    MEMPHIS SHADES - Big Shot Wind Screen
    PILOT NV-501W - Driving Lights on Custom Bar
    STEBEL - Air Horn
    JOHN'S KITS - Forward Controls
    MUSTANG WIDE TOUR - Driver and Pillion Seat Combo
    BESTEM - Passenger Backrest and Luggage Rack
    CYCLE-ISTIC - Passenger Peg Extenders
    RIVER ROAD XL - Studded Slant Bags (Reinforced & Lockable)
    RIVER ROAD XL-SLANTS / EASY BRACKET - Saddle Bag & Supports
    C50 RAEAR FENDER - Fender and Lighting Swap

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Now it was time to install the assembly to the bike, and run the wiring into the headlight bucket and hook it up to the existing light bar circuit connector. I used M8 by 3/4" long Stainless Steel bolts with Stainles Steel lock washers to mount to the bike. In the second pic, below, it is the light gray shrinked wireing that comes out from behing the tripple tree and goes up into the bucket. It has one zip tie holding it to the rest of the wires. Incert the white wire spate into the red wire connedtor, and the black wire spacje into the black wire connector.

Go to next post for finished product.
    Last edited by old new biker; 07-25-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Here is the finished product.

I hope that this has been of some help.
    Last edited by old new biker; 07-25-2007 at 10:19 PM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

that looks nice!

but, the devil being in the details - try getting your hands on socket screws for all 6 mounting points (4 for lights, 2 for lower tree) - it'll look smoother than regular bolts. also, can you get away with smaller washers? i know that the bracket is aluminum, so it's a bit on the soft side, but... would look slicker with smaller washers - or, a plate! get a piece of SS to use as a larger rectangular washer, drill two holes and round off the edges. also, i'd look at using some grommets where the cables go through the bracket. there's the typical large black rubbery types, but there's also this thin strip type stuff that you can cut to length and place along the inside edge. it's like a U-channel that's cut every so often so that you can bend it. looks like this:

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '05 M50 Black
    'Biker- That looks GREAT!!

I'll come out to 'Cuse and you can cut me up a bracket like it!! Actually, how DID you fab that bracket? (No, I don't have access to a CNC machine ) And last- do the lights work on high-beam only, all the time, or what, exactly?

Nice work!

vhmike73
    "It's people like you what cause unrest!"

Vance & Hines Straightshots *** DynoJet PowerCommander III USB *** Thunder Mfg. S&S Intake kit *** De-PAIRed with Moccasin Mike's PAIR Valve Removal Kit
    Küryakyn ISO grips w/Throttle Bosses, Ellipse mirrors & Wide Levers *** MAPAM Foward Controls
    Corbin Classic Solo & Touring Pillion *** Suzuki Low Backrest & Rack, Carbon Fiber Tank Bra, Tank/Speedo & Frame Cover Trim
    Priority Lites Run-Turn-Brake Controller *** Clear Alternatives lenses w/LED replacement bulbs (Amber 1157 front/Red 1156 rear)
    "BlaznBlu50"-inspired Tail Mod w/Radiantz LED License Plate Frame
    T-Bags "Reno" Tailbag *** Saddlemen Drifter Slant (Jumbo) Saddlebags w/Easy Brackets

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    07 Suzuki M50
    how much will you sell that nice bracket to us for???
    Nate
    07 M50

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over lousy fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world’s great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; from faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to Complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage." -Alexander Fraser Tyler, Cycle Of Democracy (1770)

"Loud pipes save egos" - N.H.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    1) Regarding Socket Head Bolts: I may try to find them for, at least the lamp mounts, but I wanted to get this on the bike for safety sake, and did not want to wait. If you decide to build one and find socket head bolts, let me know where, and do not forget, they need to be stainless steel.

You could also reverse the bolt and use Stainless Steel Acorn nuts on the front side. I only just now thought of that. I may do that this weekend.

1) Regarding the large fender washers:
    The mounting plates for the lamps are plastic, so I put the fender washers under the regular washers to spread out the compression load over more of the plastic surface. I used the regular washers to spread the load out on the fender washer. This worked very well to keep the plastic from deforming.

2) Lamps are on at all times.

3) I might consider selling this bracket, but I will have to see if the I can get more of these milled, and then work up a price. The guy mlled this one as a favor to me. The one that I used is 15" long, but 14" will work fine with the 2" angle. I just wasn't sure that the lamp bolts would clear the forks until I made one.

BTW, I have a bracket that is 16" long made of 1 1/2" aluminum angle that I would sell for $25. After I had it made, I realized that the lamp mounts are 2" tall, and was not happy with them hanging off the top and bottom. Also, I realized that, if I used wider angle, I could space the 2 main mounting bolts back so that the vertical leg would be spaced out further in order to allow the lamp bolts to clear the forks when using a 14" long bracket.

If anyone is interested and/or wants pics, PM me.
    Last edited by old new biker; 07-26-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

socket head bolts - oh wait, those are metric, aren't they? hmm, ya, finding metric SS socket head bolts would be tough in the USA. would likely be dead simple up here, though!

as to the washers - hmm, you know how you can sometimes find bolts that have this big flat head on them, like you'd sometimes find in IKEA furniture? ok, a bit stronger than that, but maybe there's some like that that would work?

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR1 View Post
    socket head bolts - oh wait, those are metric, aren't they? hmm, ya, finding metric SS socket head bolts would be tough in the USA. would likely be dead simple up here, though!

as to the washers - hmm, you know how you can sometimes find bolts that have this big flat head on them, like you'd sometimes find in IKEA furniture? ok, a bit stronger than that, but maybe there's some like that that would work?
    Keep thinking guys...............
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50 Limited
    They look good! Nice write up too!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 in Bluuuuuuuuue
    well done sir. looks really nice, and done in an inexpensive manner, which is huge.

I might just take that other bracket off your hands. I'm going to be in Cuse this weekend, let me check on finances for the week, but I'm pretty sure I'll take it. it'd be a good starting point to play with.
    06 Blue M50 - Loved it for 20k, but its time for something new, something 2.25 times bigger

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbroccoli View Post
    well done sir. looks really nice, and done in an inexpensive manner, which is huge.

I might just take that other bracket off your hands. I'm going to be in Cuse this weekend, let me check on finances for the week, but I'm pretty sure I'll take it. it'd be a good starting point to play with.
    PM me when you know.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR1 View Post
    that looks nice!
    also, i'd look at using some grommets where the cables go through the bracket. there's the typical large black rubbery types, but there's also this thin strip type stuff that you can cut to length and place along the inside edge. it's like a U-channel that's cut every so often so that you can bend it. looks like this:

that stuff is called "chicken tracks". we use it on our helicopters and it is very durable if you glue it correctly. we also use the gromments. they get soft and break down quicker than the chicken tracks. just my plug nickle....

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 Blue
    Absolutely cool!!! Now if only I were half way handy!

Mine - '06 Blue M50, Cobra Streetrods Slashdowns, Kuryakan Hypercharger blue butterflys and inset, Cobra FI2000, OEM Billet backrest

Hers - '06 C50c - Pearl white with ghost flames , Cobra Short backrest

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
    Absolutely cool!!! Now if only I were half way handy!
    It really is not hard at all, especially with the existing light bar connector in the headlight bucket.

The only complicated part is getting the aluminum mounting bracket cut correctly, and nicely, and I am working on getting a price together to supply this part.

I have also made minor modifications to the design that came to light as I put mine together. For esample, the center hole where the wires go through, will be a vertical slot so that the wires are totaly free as they go through. I also added the holes for the zip ties next to the center drainage slot. I had to hand drill mine, but the new bracket will have them milled in.

The only other possible issue is the shrink tube. Try to find a supplier in your area. The size I used was approx 1/2" dia. before shrinkiing. I will verify the size and get back to you.

Also, I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Really, this is truly simple.
    Last edited by old new biker; 07-26-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links