Shifting question
  • Login:

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2007 suzuki boulevard M50 Black

Shifting question

Hi all. I just bought a 07 M50 (black). I scoured this website and must say that it was a major part in the purchase of the bike. THis is my first new bike but I have ridden several others, cruisers and crotch rockets.
    I currently have about 580 miles on the bike and I'm about to take it in for its first maintenance. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the bike sticking in certain gears? I have had it stick in either neutral or 3rd several times and have to rock the bike back and forth to get it to unstick. My previous bikes never did this and I was wondering if it's natural with this bike or something I should worry about.
    Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Hi all. I just bought a 07 M50 (black).
    I currently have about 580 miles on the bike and I'm about to take it in for its first maintenance. I have had it stick in either neutral or 3rd several times and have to rock the bike back and forth to get it to unstick. My previous bikes never did this and I was wondering if it's natural with this bike or something I should worry about.
    Thanks for any help
    I also have the 07 M50 (black). Shifting on my M50 is very smooth and effortless. The M50 won't shift as quickly or as easily as the GSXR/RR bikes, which is normal. It takes a little more effort, which is similar to my former Harley Road King and 2 Honda Shadow 1100s I owned before. Finding neutral is easier on the M50 than on the Harley Road King or Honda Shadows 1100 series. The M50 has no problems upshifting or downshifting through the gears. Nothing gets stuck nor do I have to rock the M50... so it is definitely something Suzuki has to fix on your 600mi service.

Let your dealership know about this problem when you bring it in for your 600mi. service

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50 Limited
    I just bought my first New bike and it is an '07 M50 Limited. I have never experienced any problems like that. I would have that looked at as well!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Is this another question about shifting while standing still? THEY'RE NOT DESIGNED TO DO THAT. Most bikes on the road will hang up in one or more gears if shifted while stationary. It's not a "problem".

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    2007 suzuki boulevard M50 Black
    No this is not stationary shifting. This has happened twice while downshifting to stop and a couple times during accel. I am taking it in on service this week and will have them check it out.

Fender Buffer
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Black M50
    This is normal as far as I know, when your in neutral just release the clutch a little (not enough to move forward) but you'll see you'll be able to kick it back into 1'st gear..

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    Typically a little more break-in and fresh oil fix the problem. 580 miles is not enough.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Gems for motorcyclists

kay
    Refrigerator Magnet Test Engineer
    My Bike(s)
    Kawasaki Zephyr750RS, Suzuki GSX-R600, Ducati 999S
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    This is normal as far as I know, when your in neutral just release the clutch a little (not enough to move forward) but you'll see you'll be able to kick it back into 1'st gear..
    Ya, I do that too.
    Just about when the bike is ready to move.

I do the same when I have come to a halt in 1st gear and want to shift to neutral during standstill. Some bikes don't need me to do this though.
    Suzuki GSX-R600

Cherry blossom season is here! Yay!!!!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    '07 Suzuki M50 Limited, '73 Honda CB550
    I've had some version of this on several bikes during break-in but the shaft drive makes it much more prominent. Are you shifting really easy (giving her a good, relaxing break-in period) or thrashing her through the gears. I found that mine did this much more when I was going easy on her. Put a little more Umph and no problem.
    Also, like Clint said, you need more miles before taking her in for service or you're just wasting money. You need AT LEAST 600 miles but it's recommended to have closer to 800 to 1000 to have everything properly seated and ready for adjustment.
    Good luck.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

'07 Suzuki M50, Corbin Dual Tour with Backrest, Kuryakn SwingWings, 2 1/2" lowering bones, Jeff's Riser Spacers, NGK Iridium Plugs, Amsoil Synth 10w30

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 in Bluuuuuuuuue
    one of the things I was told a million years ago, is that when you're breaking in a new gearbox, you should almost shift the same way you do from 1-n-2 when you shift from any gear to another gear. (Sharp, crisp shifts, as opposed to gentle ones)

No idea if its a universally accepted truth or anything, but its worked for me.
    06 Blue M50 - Loved it for 20k, but its time for something new, something 2.25 times bigger

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    Yep. Firm, positive shifts. Anything less and you risk damaging the transmission due to partial engagement and griding.

Gems for motorcyclists

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 Black
    This has happend to me before as well. Sometimes the bike won't shift down or up when going really slow and sometimes gets stuck in N. I just pull the clutch in once and then it allows me to shift.
    2006 M50 Black
    Debaffled
    Sissy Bar w/rack
    Corbin Dual Tour Seat
    John's Kit's forward controls

2003 M6 Black Corvette
    Borla Catback
    6000k HID kit
    Predator tuner
    Vararam Intake

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard M50
    Just a quick note on the service period. I noticed someone suggested waiting until between 800 and 1000 miles to get it serviced, and while I agree 600 seems really early, when my brother-in-law bought his C50 he went over the 600 recommended due to appointment availability at the dealership. When he spoke with the maintenance dept. about whether or not he should stop riding, they told him that if he goes too far over the 600 (I believe it was 200 over) then that would void his warranty because he didn't get it checked when Suzuki said it needed to be checked. This could be total BS, but you never know. You may want to check your warranty paperwork before you decide whether or not to put off servicing.

'05 M50 black
    MAPAM backrest
    Corbin dual tour
    Highwayman Jumbo Straight Bags
    Johns Kit forward controls
    Debaffled exhaust

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    '07 Suzuki M50 Limited, '73 Honda CB550
    I asked the mechanic at the dealership about this specifically as I had over 500 miles on the bike when I made my appt and they couldn't get me in for over a week. He said the top end for warranty issues is 1000.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

'07 Suzuki M50, Corbin Dual Tour with Backrest, Kuryakn SwingWings, 2 1/2" lowering bones, Jeff's Riser Spacers, NGK Iridium Plugs, Amsoil Synth 10w30

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    guess im out of luck then.... i havent taken mine back to the dealer or any shop since i bought it, and I have 2000miles on it. I was going to take it in this weekend for service. lol Think my warranty is void?

SCRC Chapter 300
    V&H Straight Shots - FI2000R - JohnsKits Forward controls - debadged - Flush Mount rear turn signals - Chrome flaming skull rad cover - Chrome Skull grips - Kuryakyn Flamin Switchblade front pegs - Memphis Shades Hellcat windshield.... what to do next.... hhmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links