How hard is it to install Cobra pipes with FI2000 Fuel processor?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In Training

How hard is it to install Cobra pipes with FI2000 Fuel processor?

I just got a new 2006 M50 and I was thinking of putting some COBRA pipes on it. I heard if you do pipes that you also need to put on either the FI2000 fuel processor or power commander.

Is installing the pipes and fuel processor a do-it -yourself type of job? is it easy or does it take a while? are there any other parts I need when installing these items?

btw.. are COBRAS the best pipes to go with on this bike?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Black
    cobras and vance & hines are the pipes most riders on this site go with, yes you can do it yourself there are threads on this just do a search , to answer the other question the fi 2000 only adds fuel the power commander can also take fuel away so that would be your best bet you can get a power commander for about $260 from fuelmoto.com ask for jamie.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50
    I installed both Cobra Streetrods and Cobra FI2000. You will have to remove the gas tank and seat for the FI2000. It took me about 4 hours total for both.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Yamaha Stratoliner
    I installed that setup on my 07 Stratoliner. It's not that hard.

It's actually harder to remove the stock pipes than it is to put the cobras on.
    The only problem I had was with the O2 sensor. The wires were too short to reach the bung on the cobra pipes since they're a couple inches lower than the stock ones.

It might be different on your bike.

I ended up soldering in some 2" extensions to fix that problem.

The Cobra fuel processor is a snap to install. All you have to do is remove the nuts that hold the rear of the tank down and lift it up a little to run the wires between the tank & the frame. (This was a little easier for me because I was installing a new intake at the same time, so I had the tank off.)

The plugs on the cobra snap right into the plugs on the bike.

The bike runs and sounds great.

I would recommend this setup for any bike.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    before you go buying crap you dont need (in my opinion) I installed vance & hines straight shots without a fuel processor or power comander and the bike ran awesome. then i debaffeled my already low restrictive loud pipes and it only changed the sound still no weakened power. My M50 can pull a 12 O'Clock wheelie so there is deffinately no power problem and i NEVER have any back fireing. Get you a style of pipes that fits what you want your bike to look like ( i would suggest highway hawk turn downs) and see how it runs. if you have a back fireing or power problem, then spend your $500 on your power comander or fuel processor.

Good luck,
    '05 Boulevard M50
    Color change paint
    Lowered 3 inch in rear
    Crome spike bolts
    Brown leather covered rear seat
    Side mounted license plat
    Hurricane style headlight
    Vance & Hines Straight shots exhaust debaffled
    flush mounted rear signals
    red neon under glow with remote
    Chrome neck covers
    MORE TO COME!

wheelie video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO3_JKYuiUI

More pics at Myspace.com/nate1812

look under 05 m50 under construction

The world of metric cruisers has been ignored for way too long! We need more custom parts!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    '05' M50 Black
    You don't really need a FI processor if your just changing the exhaust. But if your changing the air intake also , then I would install one. When I installed my FI2000 it took me less than 20 min. . I don't know what instructions M50riderga had but you don't have to remove or lift the full tank to install it.
    Jardine 2:2 Taper Exhaust,C50 Air Box with K&N filter, Cobra EFI Fi2000, 32" Drag Bar, Custom Plate Mount,Custom made rear LED Blinkers, Foward control Kit, Kuryakyn pegs, grips and throttle boss, 3 inch lowering kit, Custom Pillion seat, De-badged and De-PAIRED,Naked Jugs mod, Pinstriped rims, Chromed drive shaft
    See my bike and accessories at

www.CruiserCustomizing.com/iceman99

In Training
    what does the FI2000 plug into?

Where Am I ?
    This past weekend, my M50 went into the shop for an hour, and a set of Cobra Slashcuts was installed. I could not do the job myself because of the relative degree of difficulty in removing the stock pipes. The bolts are a tight fit and I was considering fabricating a special Allen key, but decided to bring it in the dealer. Cost was reasonable at $127, plus the mechanic was great and made a few other minor adjustments to some of the controls.

Now...what is it like with the Cobras? I am a bad-boy....these pipes are loud, and the bike is fun to drive.....but....I will install the Dobeck TFI I purchased after I bought the pipes. I wanted to see how it would run without the fuel processor. It is running leaner (I could smell the difference), and it breaks up when reved really high. There is also some backfiring (minor) on the downshift. It stands to reason that this could happen. The bike is exhusting more free. Lean mixtures can do damage, internally. So the fuel processor goes on this weekend. All in all, not a big deal for either mod.

Omnipotent two-wheeler
    My Bike(s)
    Red & Black M50
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefriceburner View Post
    cobras and vance & hines are the pipes most riders on this site go with, yes you can do it yourself there are threads on this just do a search , to answer the other question the fi 2000 only adds fuel the power commander can also take fuel away so that would be your best bet you can get a power commander for about $260 from

fuelmoto.com ask for jamie
    ----------
    ....Dare to be different....

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki LC 1500 and 2005 Honda VTX1300
    I installed these with no FI proccessor and no back firing and lost of power. Took longer to find all the tools and jack up the bike.

And yes that's a Metz 200 tire
    Back in the saddle again

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    I don't think you need a fuel processor unless you replace the air box, but I could be wrong. The replacement air box will allow more air into the engine so you'll want to increase the gas injected to some extent to create the proper mix (I've never heard of anyone wanting to decrease the flow of gas from oem). You'll want the FI2000R for the M50 which has the appropriate connectors. There are two connections under the gas tank, one for each injector. They're right under the tank, easy to recognize. Once you have access (by raising the back of the tank (make sure it's almost empty and therefore light), it will take about 2 minutes to make the proper connections, simply remove the connector from the injector electrical input, plug in one of the connectors from the FI2000R, and plug the removed connector into the back of the FI2000R connector. Figure out where you want to place the FI2000R (mine is under the right side cover (you'll want easy access so that you can fine tune it as needed, when you purchase a new air box (and you will), and make the +, - and ground power connections (under the seat). The new pipes are pretty straight forward. Cobra provides a new rear mounting plate since the pipes hang lower than the oem pipes. It would be in your best interests to purchase new pipe gaskets. Sometimes dealers have to order these, so you might as well do it now. You will probably need a ratchet wrench to remove and install the pipes, as well as allen sockets. You can purchase a set of these sockets from Walmark for less than $10.00. I hope this all helps.
    Last edited by OldManOnBike; 03-19-2008 at 08:53 PM.

In Training
    thanks... so what pipes are louder.. Cobra or Vance and Hines? and how much louder than stock are these pipes?

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki LC 1500 and 2005 Honda VTX1300
    There about the same but Vance and Hines have quick removeble baffles
    Back in the saddle again

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    I have cobra classic slashcuts on my M50. Considerably louder than stock but not crazy loud-I have been told that I can be heard leaving my house till at least 1/2 mile away. My brother rode behind me once on a 2 hr trip and after about an hour he passed me because he couldnt stand being behind me, exhaust was to loud. when at idle or just cruizing the pipes are pretty quiet-louder than stock but quiet-as soon as you crack the throttle you can be heard though.

As far as the programmer goes, its up to you, not really needed for just changing pipes, but it is nice to have on there. If you get a programmer the FI2000R does nothing more than dump in fuel-keeps you from running lean but thats it, so if you just wanna make sure you are not lean its the route to go. But if you want to keep the A/F ratio at its best at all times, get a PCIII and get the bike dynoed for best results.

I installed pipes and FI2000R myself with no problems

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    thanks... so what pipes are louder.. Cobra or Vance and Hines? and how much louder than stock are these pipes?
    personally if you are chooseing from tho's two (im still trying to push you on the turn downs) i would go with vance & hines because you can remove the baffles by removing one screw (per pipe) and change the sound to a much more throuty (sp?) sound like an old muscle car ha. but look into the turn downs, thats what hookers makes for harely and they look amazing on the M & C boulevards.
    '05 Boulevard M50
    Color change paint
    Lowered 3 inch in rear
    Crome spike bolts
    Brown leather covered rear seat
    Side mounted license plat
    Hurricane style headlight
    Vance & Hines Straight shots exhaust debaffled
    flush mounted rear signals
    red neon under glow with remote
    Chrome neck covers
    MORE TO COME!

wheelie video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO3_JKYuiUI

More pics at Myspace.com/nate1812

look under 05 m50 under construction

The world of metric cruisers has been ignored for way too long! We need more custom parts!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links