Mid RPM vibration/rattle
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Grey/Yellow

Mid RPM vibration/rattle

I've just started the hunt for this and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I took my bike in for the 6000km service and then headed out on a road trip (3000km). After a while I noticed this odd noise that I hadn't heard before.

Basically it goes like this. In first and second (when wind noise is low), when you let the RPM's come up in the mid range area you start to hear quite a bit of noise coming out the very front of the bike (not below you at the engine). It does go with the revs of the bike and it basically sounds like something is loose and vibrating. Once you shift and the RPM's drop, the sound goes away and it sounds normal again. I really don't remember it sounding like this before which is why I think it might be something loose. Now when this is happening, you don't feel anything different. The bike feels just the same as usual, just sounds really different.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

I've had similar things happen when the tank has been off for something. It seems like the rubbers are noisy for a few hundred miles till they settle in or something...

Yeah,
    sounds like something loose...
    You can look around the area and see if there is a loose bolt, oil filter, anything removable, shake it real good or just rev up the bike and look for the noise...
    Like nate said, sometime when you change mounts, rubbers, etc... it might take some time for them to settle into place and might vibrate a bit.

If the noise exists while riding in mid range RPM but does not exist when revving the bike while standing, it might point you to the right direction (moving parts)...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Raider
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMan29 View Post
    I've just started the hunt for this and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I took my bike in for the 6000km service and then headed out on a road trip (3000km). After a while I noticed this odd noise that I hadn't heard before.

Basically it goes like this. In first and second (when wind noise is low), when you let the RPM's come up in the mid range area you start to hear quite a bit of noise coming out the very front of the bike (not below you at the engine). It does go with the revs of the bike and it basically sounds like something is loose and vibrating. Once you shift and the RPM's drop, the sound goes away and it sounds normal again. I really don't remember it sounding like this before which is why I think it might be something loose. Now when this is happening, you don't feel anything different. The bike feels just the same as usual, just sounds really different.
    mine is doing the same thing. Something is vibrating at a certain RPM. It is not the pucks for the tank either. At first I thought it was my neck covers, but it's not. It's really driving me crazy, because I have checked EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by fake; 07-04-2008 at 01:20 AM.
    2009 Yamaha Raven Raider
    *V&H Big Radius 2-1
    *Cobra Fi2000R O2
    *Krank Vent
    *Custom LED Intergrated Taillight
    *Kury Scythe Mirrors
    *Zombies

I have the same thing. In another forum, someone posted that it is in the speedometer. Just a design flaw.

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    When I hear that sound...I give it more gas and I don't notice it as much.

Author is not a real mechanic, but often "plays" like one.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quite often it is the chrome tank cover and sometimes it's the LED panel that sits in the tank cover.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki m50
    Noticed it too at high RPMs check your headlight.

I don't know how to fix it yet but rev it up to when you can hear it and put your hand on the head light, if thats the problem the sound should stop.

It was driving crazy too but now I know what it is atleast.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2009 DL1000 V-Strom Blk | traded 2007 M50 LE Gray
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Quite often it is the chrome tank cover and sometimes it's the LED panel that sits in the tank cover.
    I had the same noise until 1st service and they tightened all things including the one thing that I suspected which was the (fake chrome) plastic piece that sits on top of the tank (direction LED/Neutral/etc) and the noise has now gone.

2009 DL1000 V-Strom Suzuki
    2007 M50 LE Boulevard Suzuki
    1986 GR650 Tempter Suzuki
    1984 V45 Magna Honda
    1982 CX500 Turbo Honda

i had a similar noise. after first service went away..Now i notice one in the back. I think it might be the rear brake spring on the arm. some days I hear all kinds of funny little things. on my bike that is.....

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    Quote Originally Posted by geeker View Post
    I had the same noise until 1st service and they tightened all things including the one thing that I suspected which was the (fake chrome) plastic piece that sits on top of the tank (direction LED/Neutral/etc) and the noise has now gone.
    This was my biggest suspect.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Grey/Yellow

Found it

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Managed to find it.....sort of. It was either of two things.

1) the chrome cover on the tank with the lights in it, or
    2) the chrome cover on the speedometer.

After reading the suggestion here about that tank cover, I went and tightened it down. Managed to get about half a turn on each of the screws to make it tight, then I did the same to the cover on the speedometer and it too was about the same to tighten it.

Took it out for a little 30 minute run and revved it all over and nothing. Sounds just like it is supposed to! So thanks guys for all the suggestions. Think I'll go back with some locktite on the weekend for those suckers.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Raider
    well, at least you found your rattling, I can't find mine.
    2009 Yamaha Raven Raider
    *V&H Big Radius 2-1
    *Cobra Fi2000R O2
    *Krank Vent
    *Custom LED Intergrated Taillight
    *Kury Scythe Mirrors
    *Zombies

Sponsored Links