Motorcycle Forum banner

ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE!

176K views 427 replies 102 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
Then please call this number 714-572-1490 (SUZUKI HQ) ,and complain like I did to make the report,but be sure your stuff is rusted before you complain.

I HIGHLY suggest everyone lubes the rear drive of their 50.Do it now in 20 minutes ,or do it later ,and wait for weeks for parts.
Remove the final drive,(via my video)set your drive on the ground...shaft facing up..then take your hand and smack the end of the shaft compressing the spring somewhat fast..If rust comes out your in trouble,cut that boot off and lube that %%%% up or you will be like me ,and Spikes.
My issues is not an internal transmission issue,when in fact it was the rear drive.
I took it off,but I didnt take it apart to look inside I didn't want to cut that rubber seal off (This lesson cost me $83.14:eek:oops:) The propeller shaft,and gear were mush inside...seems odd no metal came out on the magnet when I drained the oil.But anyways....1 more week for parts,and $175.00 (overnight shipping),and I'll be on my M again.
I told my wife I can make it to the strip next Saturday!...If looks could kill lol.
SPIKES!!! DOUBLE CHECK YOUR FINAL DRIVES BRO!!!
I'm a happy camper today.:mrgreen:
Here is a parts list of what I need.
CS

MFG ITEM QTY PRICE TOTAL
SUZUKI WASHER, DRIVE SHAFT for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09160-16029 1 $2.42 $2.42
SUZUKI SEAL, FINAL DRIVEN GEAR OIL L for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09283-38009 1 $6.89 $6.89
SUZUKI NUT for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09159-10026 1 $2.87 $2.87
SUZUKI O RING (D:2.4,ID:17.8) for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09280-18004 1 $2.39 $2.39
SUZUKI .COUPLING, PROPELLER SHAFT for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
27172-38A00 1 $25.89 $25.89
SUZUKI SHAFT, PROPELLER for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
27151-41F00 1 $91.38 $91.38
SUZUKI SPRING for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09440-18019 1 $1.25 $1.25
SUZUKI OIL SEAL (28.4X48X15) for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09283-30051 1 $4.90 $4.90
SUZUKI .CIRCLIP for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09381-40003 1 $2.15 $2.15
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $15.00
Total: $155.14

See less See more
#309 ·
Right, got it!! The shame...... on another note, when I bought the used M50 the dealer gave me a one year warranty on the drive shaft as he had never heard of any issues. After talking to his boss, they had a C50 shaft drive melt down due to corrosion last year. So it definatley happens to the models over here- I'm taking my bike up to them shortly and the warranty will cover any costs if there is rust- if not, I'll be happy to pay for a bit of labour/grease to keep it from happening. I suppose this will be a two yearly check? Depending on k's ridden...

#310 ·
Kiwi
Apparently Suzuki Australia recently issued a service bulletin for the Boulevards, advising dealers that the drive shaft lube should be checked every 6,000 km.
I would assume the same applies in NZ. Maybe check with your dealer.
I don't think it is a big deal, as this can be relatively easily checked - every time you fit a new rear tyre for example - but as everyone notes you gotta watch out for it, and be mindful that this can sometimes be a problem with the M50 / C50. But as long as you check it and keep it lubricated you should be fine.
And I hope you enjoy riding in the beautiful landscapes of NZ.

#311 ·
The twisty back country roads up here in the North Island are awesome! (South Island is pretty amazing as well) The M50 is really in its element over here. Only thing I might consider is upgrading the front forks- roads are a a bit third world over here and a bit bumpy....I could slow down I suppose......

#313 ·
Burn, you seem to very knowledgeable on these bikes i was wondering if you have come across the problem i am having. I have a 2006 m50 with about 15,650 miles aprox and i seem to be leaking coolant from what appears to be the front head. Any information you might have on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

#316 ·
Burn has sold his M50 and probably only check in every now and then. If your leaking coolant from the front head then it sounds like you may have a seal gone bad (head gasket) or something is cracked. I would take it to a good bike mechanic and have it checked out.

#317 ·
I find that that the front end feels a bit unsteady when hard cornering, but to be fair- my last bike was a tricked out DR650 that glided over everything....so I just need to get used to the new system. Having said that, no complaints about the M50 overall- definately my favorite motorcycle.

#320 ·
As a proud USA expat now living in NZ (and equally proud of NZ), I have to say that you Aussie's are simply amazing with your wit and humour; now as I have told you before: stay on message! (look again at what this thread is about). Having said that, you might want to have a look at your shaft....no other comment needed.

#321 ·
Hi Kiwi, my shaft is in good condition, thanks for the tip and umm - I do check it regularly.

Yes we Aussies do like taking cheap shots at Kiwis, it's sort of a national pastime.
Being a Yank in Un Zud just makes you a bigger target really.

But Kiwis are our brothers ... by now you will know the importance of ANZAC.
Equally for us in Oz we have been proud allies of the US in every major conflict over the past 100 years. We like being in the trenches with you guys.

Now, I need to check something. Where's that lube gone?

#322 ·
If you've read thru this thread and still failed to have your final drive checked on your 2008 or prior M50 then you might be a bigger dope than ME!
When I took my '07 M50 to the local dealer to have a new rear tire installed about two months ago I spoke with the service manager about shop time involved and parts availability as I didn't feel wholly comfortable disassembling this myself. The service manager gave non-committal replies resulting in "Yeah, I'll call you". He never called and I didn't follow thru and allow this issue to slide to the back burner.

Fast forward to yesterday on a beautiful 80 degree ride around wonderful Lake Coeur d' Alene, ID and the "silverware in the garbage disposal" sound was unmistakeable. No gears, total failure. Thank God for emergency roadside assistance. The tow was free. My bike is 120 miles away at an independent motorcycle repair shop.

Now Ima wishing I woulda followed thru.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Damn.

#324 ·
Avarice, sorry to hear you fell victim to the final drive disintegration. It's the worst feeling, short of an actual crash, of course.

Once mine was fixed, it was like new. Speaking of new, mine is a 2009, which died last year with approx 11000 miles, as I recall.

There have been a few other 2009s, so any thoughts of 2009 immunity to this are purely wishful thinking. Cuz it ain't so.

#325 ·
Thankfully the failure was a complete non-event as I was doing 75+ mph.
The M lost power which felt like a quick shift to neutral, then she regained power for a second before total power-train loss and the "silverware in the garbage disposal" sound took over. Never lost traction, just coasted to a stop.
If only I would have had the option to tote her home instead of a tow back to town. Kinda sucks having your ride 100+ miles from home.

#329 ·
I plan on doing this when I change my pipes next week, so just for clarity, I've seen some of your videos burn, but when it comes to greasing, we check where the shaft meets the final drive. do we have to break that metal cap off like you did in order to grease it?

Please clear it up so when I do this I don't right, not having a bike in the summer in ny is almost suicidal (for me anyways)so I don't want to screw this up! if there's a a timestamp on a certain video I should see please point me to it. btw, and the train near miss, holy hell, what did you do that in?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#330 ·
You need to get that oil seal off to grease it..some have saved theirs ..mine was destroyed in the process. Simply grease,and replace the seal ..easy peasy.
The Train? hah The car is a Toyota,and I plea the 5th.
-CS

#331 ·
Thanks man, I'll try to save it, ill report back on it once I do it and let you guys know if they greased the 09's. At 10,500 miles I hope its greased, I've only had the bike for like a year and 4 months, and I put the first mile on it :)

yeah, I ride a lot.

meanwhile I have that dreadful sit and wait until my pipes get here syndrome ...
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2