ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE! - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Been lazy... It was a pain to just get the top one done. The 3" hole saw just dances around. I'll get to the lower pipe eventually

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '08 M50 Limited: Black/Silver
    Back to the dealer to question exactly what they greased...explaining that folks I've been talking to and per looking at the service manual, there was no way to evaluate whether or not the rear drive was adequately lubed. He talked to the service mgr and then the guy who did the job. He came back a needle looking tool explaining that they are able to lube that seal by using that tool without removing the seal. Hmm...
    • 2008 M50 Limited, 2009-2010...until a jerk truck driver rear ended me and totaled it...and almost me: Jeff/Ken's Spacer Risers, Flanders Super Glide handlebars #650-08231, Shaved down stock seat, Mustang fender bib (on/off), OEM Luggage Rack minus sissy bar; Blacked out: Linbar, PIAA mulit fit lights on fender, speedo, headlight rim.
    • 1999 Virago 250, 2007-09 (first of my own, sold): Symtec grip heaters.
    • First riding experience: Honda mini bike (50cc?) on my cousin's farm...I was maybe 8 or 10 years old.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Blue M50 w/Black Flames
    Very interesting, I wonder how sticking a needle between the seal and the shaft will affect the actual sealing action of the rubber. Could it actually damage the seal? Or, is the rubber pliable enough to be able to take it and bounce back into shape?

Road Captain - SCRC Central Piedmont Chapter #81
    Member of the AMA and
    SUZUKI Owners Club of North America
    Blue '05 M50, DJ Final Drive Mod, Debaged and Flamed, Bags, Backrest, Custom Windscreen, Techlusion TFi, Modified Airbox, Gutted Stock Pipes
    Links:
    SCRC Central Piedmont Chapter
    http://www.suzukiownersclub.org/usa/
    SpiceyCajun.com
    MySpace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Yikes! I thought shaft drive bikes were supposed to be reliable, requiring only a spline lube when rear tire is replaced and an annual drive unit oil change. So far, that's worked on my Vulcan 750. I like the M50 a lot, but I think I'm going with belt drive on the next bike...this seems like too much work...Yes, I am lazy...

Bob

Seat Tester
    I know Burn said to remove quite a few things to get to the u joint, but is there a simpler way to just grease the inside of the joint without taking the frame apart ?

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    yea i saw that and wishd you had

Wonder if this would pertain to my Suzuki Trike ?

My Bike(s)
    M50, PC800, KLR650
    I finally got around to check the driveshaft/final drive on my M50, 06 with 20,000 miles.

It had plenty of grease, but even though I live in the desert in New Mexico, there was water inside, admittedly only a small amount.

I was surprised that there was any at all. Because there was a lot of grease, there was no sign of wear or corrosion. I cleaned it up real good and repacked it with grease.

The obvious entry point has to be on both sides of the stopper plate. One has to be certain to use a liquid gasket material both sides of the stopper plate to avoid water entry at this point. I used Yamabond 4.

Thank you B C for bringing this to the attention of the forum.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Black; 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750; 2003 Yamaha XT225
    I've order the oil/grease seal and will be checking this issue when it arrives. My M is an '07 and, from the community results so far, it seems that she should be ok. However, with the potential of such a failure and the ultimate costs of replacement, the cost of a seal and a little disassembly pales in comparison. I'll share my findings after the inspection.

HUGE props to burnchassis for everything he's done and for sharing it with the rest of us.

My eternal gratitude.
    Experience is the comb that Life gives you after you've lost your hair.

2007 M50 Black - Hard Krome 3" Res-Tech Exhaust ~ Ken Cooley Chin Spoiler ~ Kury Hypercharger ~ PCIII USB ~ S.S. Brake Line ~ 1" Riser Spacers ~ ISO Grips w/Throttle Bosses & Transformer Endcaps ~ ISO Pegs, Shifter & Brake Cover ~ Willie & Max Raptor Saddlebags ~ Debadged ~ Iridium Plugs ~ Factory Wire Rack, Tank Bib & Case Guards ~ Black Vinyl Wrapped Forks ~ Smoked Lenses ~ Flex 3 led plate frame

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Intruder M800
    Is it an idea to drill a litle hole in the driveshaft and put a "greasenipple" in it so you can put some grease in it from the outside?

My Bike(s)
    M50, PC800, KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by shotsailor View Post
    Is it an idea to drill a litle hole in the driveshaft and put a "greasenipple" in it so you can put some grease in it from the outside?
    Problem is that I don't think you can get the grease to where it should go.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2006
    Yesterday I finally got some time to disassemble the shaft drive and luckily it looks like new!
    I had to tare apart the oil seal (I don't understand why is it called oil seal since there is no oil in there, only grease) and replace it with a new one.
    The shaft was well greased at the rear wheel end and there was no sign of wear after 20.000 km. The other end (front end) was lightly greased, but in very good condition too.
    The whole thing took me around 6 hours. The most difficult part was to remove the oil seal. I used a screwdriver as lever to push out the damn thing. You need a lot of patience to do this, but I think it is the only way.
    The M50's toolkit was very useful! Without the 22 key I wouldn't have been able to remove the rear wheel axle nut.
    The rear wheel is damn heavy so pay attention if you use a lift to balance the bike towards it so that it won't tilt to much forward when you remove the rear wheel. Just lift it high enough to remove the rear wheel and everything should be fine.

I can sleep well now and ride it again without fear! And strange enough, I feel I love my bike more than ever now!

Thank you, burnchassis! Your videos helped me a lot!

Here are some pictures:
    Attachment 20877Attachment 20873Attachment 20874Attachment 20875Attachment 20876

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links