Shifting between 1st & 2nd
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Limited

Shifting between 1st & 2nd

One other thing I really noticed is that when you shift between 1st & 2nd (either way), it is more than just "not smooth". I seemes to catch the gears & you can hear it clank quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to make this a bit smoother - I know it won't be as smooth as the other gear shifts, but it seems a bit excessive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Are you using your clutch!?

I noticed that it clunks a bit when dropping from N to 1 when taking off, but other than that all shifting seems the same to me.
    • HellCat Windshield, Ram Camera Mount, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips, Stebel Air Horn, Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirrors, Kuryakyn Dually pegs, Blue LED kit, Integrated tail light, side-mounted license plate, Mustang Seat, Cobra sissybar and backrest.

--------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Boulevard M50 Black and Yellow
    i've heard that complaint a lot, i think its just a quirk of the bike. dealers have said its no worry.
    2008 Black on yellow M50 ~ Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns ~ FI2000R ~ removed air cleaner ~ de-paired ~ de-flectored ~ 3" drop ~ JK forward controls ~ curved side mount license plate ~ integrated tail light ~ Jardine sissy bar ~ always looking for more stuff to add!

I have metal in both of my legs. I'm working on becoming the Bionic Man!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Limited
    Clutch? Hmmm... you might be on to something. j/k - I use the clutch & thought maybe I wasn't pulling it in enough, but the clutch is definately disengaged when I'm shifting.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2000 LC 1500, 2005 RED M-50
    Quote Originally Posted by fargoben67 View Post
    i've heard that complaint a lot, i think its just a quirk of the bike. dealers have said its no worry.
    I agree, I have the same clunk / gear mesh and you just need to use a little authority and be in the higher rpm's and goes in much easier...IMO.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    I was able to get a good bit of riding in this weekend, and I still can't believe the complaints about the gearbox. Maybe I have an oddball, but my bike shifts smooth and easy. I don't "shift like I mean it", just a nice gentle pull up. Maybe I am preloading it or something.
    2006 M50 Streetrod Slashdowns, Thunder Tornado, Cobra fi2000, John's Kit forwards, 32" Drag Bars with riser spacers, Widow Pegs, ISO Grips, other misc. mods

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Ducati M796
    Quote Originally Posted by 05HDRAM View Post
    I was able to get a good bit of riding in this weekend, and I still can't believe the complaints about the gearbox. Maybe I have an oddball, but my bike shifts smooth and easy. I don't "shift like I mean it", just a nice gentle pull up. Maybe I am preloading it or something.
    I find mine to be fairly smooth too. I pre-load a tad though. What I like is that you can really feel it drop into gear with your foot though. I rode my buddies vulcan 900, and at first i though the shifter wasn't attached, i'd shift up and wouldn't feel a thing. To me that is too smooth. I like to feel a bit of clunk.
    2012 Ducati Monster 796
    2006 M50 Sold!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Triumph Scrambler
    I find the gear change just about positive enough. For the first thousand miles or so it was bedding in. I only use the clutch for starting and stopping, all other changes are done clutchless. (I was reared on old British bikes where the clutch was more cantankerous!)
    Shiny side up!!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Blue with C50 Rear Fender
    I remember asking that same question here at MJ when I originally bought my M. It just seems to be the nature of the bike.
    Last edited by old new biker; 03-22-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    DJ DRIVE - C90 Rear End Swap (14% lower RPM's)
    MEMPHIS SHADES - Big Shot Wind Screen
    PILOT NV-501W - Driving Lights on Custom Bar
    STEBEL - Air Horn
    JOHN'S KITS - Forward Controls
    MUSTANG WIDE TOUR - Driver and Pillion Seat Combo
    BESTEM - Passenger Backrest and Luggage Rack
    CYCLE-ISTIC - Passenger Peg Extenders
    RIVER ROAD XL - Studded Slant Bags (Reinforced & Lockable)
    RIVER ROAD XL-SLANTS / EASY BRACKET - Saddle Bag & Supports
    C50 RAEAR FENDER - Fender and Lighting Swap

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Ducati M796
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek3636 View Post
    I find the gear change just about positive enough. For the first thousand miles or so it was bedding in. I only use the clutch for starting and stopping, all other changes are done clutchless. (I was reared on old British bikes where the clutch was more cantankerous!)
    I hope you realize that will shorten the life of your tranny.
    2012 Ducati Monster 796
    2006 M50 Sold!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    You can adjust your clutch wire if you want. How many miles do you have on the bike.
    The ONLY guarantee against NOT Crashing a motorcycle is to NEVER get ON A motorcycle in the first place
    M50 ManualThe Hideaway Underground

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2008 Yellow and Black named the Bumble Bee
    Of all the bikes I've owned the M50 has the worse shifting.
    Hate to admit it.
    Harley was the best, my Kaw ER6n is the next best and nearly as good as the Harley
    then it was the Yamaha Roadliner and the Raider.
    However, I think what you might be feeling is the fact that this bike has to go from 1st through neutral then into second and it's that catch or hesitation you might be feeling.
    My Kaw Nomad 1600 had the same issue but not as bad.
    CooleyM50

Riding Bumble Bee the fearless 2008 Yellow, black and gray M50.

Designer of the M50 Chin Spoiler and 2" Riser Block.
    Manufacture of the M50 1" Riser Block, 2" Smooth and Fluted Riser Block, Chin Spoiler, DK's Rear Filler Plate and soon coming UHL Plate and Front Brake MC CAP.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    This is one of the prime reasons some of us like to use synthetic oil. It very often makes a noticeable improvement to shifting.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2002 ZX12R
    I ride with a harley boot..it's got a thick nose..but not steel toe. The heavy boot gives the impression that shifting is smoother than it really is...infact the notchy/audible noise is infact helping me ensure I've engaged the next gear. In running shoes etc the bike is not what I would consider smooth but the amsoil oil I run definately helps. Again with a good boot on the shifting is actually quite nice..
    Currnently in love with my ZX9 but will never forget the 05 M50 that filled the garage.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-M View Post
    .....you just need to use a little authority and be in the higher rpm's and goes in much easier...IMO.

Pre-load a bit and don't be a wuss.

It will always clunk when going into 1st after standing in neutral but shifting THROUGH neutral is often much worse if you try to baby it.

AND when shifting down, do not go into first until you are down to walking speed......5 MPH or less......but before coming to a complete stop.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links