Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Harley Davidson FLHRCI Road King Classic

Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50

A few weeks ago I realized that my tires were in bad shape. I ordered a set of Metzeler ME880's from jpcycle.com, when I got the tires I found out quickly that nearly no shops in my area would mount any tires that they did not order themselves. I found one mom and pop type of shop that would do it for me. I paid $250 for the tires, and $120 for the mount and balance at the shop. After they got done they informed me that the left fork seal was leaking and that both needed replaced. The bike has 19,900 miles on it. I've owned it since April, and have put 1000 miles on her since. That shop told me that they would do it for me, but it would cost about $250 for labor. Being the ultra cheap guy that I am, I have decided to do it on my own. I am fairly comfortable with working on my own vehicles. I actually never take any of my vehicles to a shop unless for its for tires. My question to you guys, has anyone ever replaced the fork seals before? If so, how much of a pita is it? Also, anyone have any stickies they could post with instructions on how to do it, fluid capacity and part supplier? Thanks guys.
    Finnegan

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    Buy the AllBalls seals, they are cheaper and better than OEM. You got robbed on the mount and ballance. Here is some advice that will save you some coin, next time bring the wheels and tires off the bike. You will have them turned around in a day and for less than $50. The forks are the same story, If you bring them *just the fork tubes it is much cheaper.

Doing them is a little tricky but download and read the manual first and it will be easier. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...0manual%20(pdf)

http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...ighlight=forks

I used Silkoline, expensive but well reviewed. I also bought a motionpro fork oil level guage.

Read through a few pages using the search function. If you have a buddy who can turn a wrench it is easier with two than by yourself. Even better if he is a dirt bike guy as they do this frequiently.

NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 boulevard M50
    I did mine myself,it says you need special tools to do it,but you don't.If you search this forum you should be able to find a post on this same subject that has some good info on it.
    not a hard job but two people or a soft jaw vice is good to have.You don't need a level gauge just the right amount and a measuring cup.
    search this site....

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    I did my own about 2 months ago I do reccomend a second set of hands and I built my own special tools you dont need the level gauge I used a graduated cylinder and added 490 ml.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Fear,
    Thanks. Yea I probably did get robbed on the mount and balance. Initially I was going to take the wheels off and just take them to get the work done. A buddy had told me it was a nightmare to remove the rear wheel so I opted out. I did look it up on youtube and saw that it looks quiet easy. I probably should have done more reviewing and did it myself, but oh well...

Thanks for the link. It should help

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    I appreciate the advise from everyone. I like that there are other eager folks out here that love the m50 as much as I do!
    Last edited by Finnegan; 06-10-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    The you tube video is very cool !
    haha
    CS
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    Fear,
    Thanks. Yea I probably did get robbed on the mount and balance. Initially I was going to take the wheels off and just take them to get the work done. A buddy had told me it was a nightmare to remove the rear wheel so I opted out. I did look it up on youtube and saw that it looks quiet easy. I probably should have done more reviewing and did it myself, but oh well...

Thanks for the link. It should help

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Anyone have a link/sticky to videos or slideshow as to how to do this? I have read the manual and its not really helping. I would like to know if I really need the tools that the manual is saying I need. Some of the tools shown to be used seem like they aren't necessary. I'm just curious.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    I made my own tools It was pretty easy It does help to have a second pair of hands tho for compressing the spring I could probally email you the pics of the tool I made If you want pm me

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    You don't need to buy special tools, you can make your own easily.

NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Ok, so I got the bike lifted, took off the front wheel, and removed the forks. After taking out the original seals I put the new ones on. AllBalls seals. I got it all back together and it is leaking worse than before. What started as a small leak on the left fork is now a massive leak from both.

When I was putting in the oil seal, I used a large socket and hammered it with a rag wrapped around the outside. Now the dust cover piece is alot different from the OEM style. The OEM dust cover sits flush in the upper fork tube. The All balls one sits on top of the bottom of the upper tube. Also there is a spring on the dust cover along the tube. My leak is where that dust cover sits along the bottom of the upper tube.

My question is this, does the All balls dust cover piece go into the upper tube or stick out a bit? I am soooooo pissed off that this leak isnt fixed, so someone gimme some advise! Thanks

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Mine did the same thing and I found that I mistakedly(is that a word?) had installed the seals backwards took it back apart flipped them over and perfect.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Ok, update... after another 4 hours of disassembling and actually paying attention, I noticed that the inner oil seal lip was bent and the spring was off. I corrected the mistake and re-installed all parts. So now it is working good, no leaks and even handles better.... Okay so maybe not, but I'd like to think so.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)

Pics

Here is the left fork with the old seals. Notice the oil leakage and dust collecting on the bottom?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-before.jpg   Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-before2.jpg   Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-before3.jpg  

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)

Pics cont..

progress along the project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-lift.jpg   Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-strapped-down.jpg   Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-strapped-down2.jpg   Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-fender-off.jpg   Replacing Fork Seals 2005 Boulevard M50-wheel-off.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links