Fork Seal Replacement
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50

Fork Seal Replacement

I'm wanting to replace my fork seals before the season starts this year. Does anyone whose done this have a parts list for oem replacements from the fiche? I'm thinking I should get two of each parts 5 - 8?

Washer
    Seal, oil
    Circlip, oil seal
    Seal, dust

Thanks in advance!
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Black; 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750; 2003 Yamaha XT225
    I've done the seals on an '89 Kawa 454 Ltd and my 750 Vulcan, but not yet on the M50.

The following is an OEM parts list from a shop here in Seattle. I hope the link works.

http://www.aurora-suzuki.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

EDIT: Sorry, the link only takes you to the start screen for searching OEM parts. Go to the bottom of the page and select "motorcycle" for the list under "Suzuki" in the bottom left corner.

If I understood your wanted parts list, here are the OEM part numbers for a 2008 VZ800:

WASHER
    51158-05A00

SEAL,OIL
    51153-10G50

CIRCLIP,OIL SEAL
    51156-49440

SEAL,DUST
    51173-14F00
    Last edited by Quantumcat; 02-24-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Experience is the comb that Life gives you after you've lost your hair.

2007 M50 Black - Hard Krome 3" Res-Tech Exhaust ~ Ken Cooley Chin Spoiler ~ Kury Hypercharger ~ PCIII USB ~ S.S. Brake Line ~ 1" Riser Spacers ~ ISO Grips w/Throttle Bosses & Transformer Endcaps ~ ISO Pegs, Shifter & Brake Cover ~ Willie & Max Raptor Saddlebags ~ Debadged ~ Iridium Plugs ~ Factory Wire Rack, Tank Bib & Case Guards ~ Black Vinyl Wrapped Forks ~ Smoked Lenses ~ Flex 3 led plate frame

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Thanks for the confirmation. When I searched I found recommendations for fork oil weight but nothing for what exactly needs to be replaced during what is considered to be "regular maintenance".
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Dumb question maybe, but how do i know if this needs to be done on my bike. Are there some symptoms i should be watching for?
    2012 Suzuki DL650 ADV
    2007 Victory Hammer
    2006 Suzuki M50 (traded, but sorely missed )

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    Oil leaking down the fork.

Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    ok, thanks. I have 12k miles on my bike, never saw any leaks, but I feel like the front shocks are doing nearly nothing to absorb the imperfections of the road, even on smooth roads the front seems like it's bouncing, so I'm thinking some kind of maintenance is due, just not sure what. I should probably start a separate thread.
    2012 Suzuki DL650 ADV
    2007 Victory Hammer

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackM50 View Post
    ok, thanks. I have 12k miles on my bike, never saw any leaks, but I feel like the front shocks are doing nearly nothing to absorb the imperfections of the road, even on smooth roads the front seems like it's bouncing, so I'm thinking some kind of maintenance is due, just not sure what. I should probably start a separate thread.
    Seals should not need to be replaced in 12K miles unless the bike has been abused or the fork tube damaged. You might want to put heavier weight oil in the forks for more ride control. Lighter oil is often put in at the factory fill for a cushier ride.
    Last edited by old codger; 03-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Thanks, good to know. I actually emailed Race Tech this morning to see if they have any suggestions, because right now it feels like the front suspension isnt absorbing anything at all... it just beats me up too much on about the 3rd day of my 20 mile commute. Hope they have some good ideas...
    2012 Suzuki DL650 ADV
    2007 Victory Hammer

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    If the forks seem too stiff that is a different issue, check to be sure the forks are not over filled with oil. Also check to be the front tire has the proper air pressure, is balanced and not "out of round". Also rear tire problems can show up as problems with the front forks or wheel.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    My bike was reconstructed after a crash by the previous owner, so there is no telling what all might be not 100% on this bike. I got new tires on it several months back, that improved things. I have the rear shock set to the softest setting too, which helped a lot, but the front suspension just doesn't seem to absorb much impact fromt he road, as I get a lot of vibration and jarring through the handlebars and the body of the bike in general.

When I was sitting in traffic yesterday i leaned into the front suspension to compress it and when I took the pressure off is didn't really decompress all the way, not to the "before point". I think something might be jacked up in the front.

I emailed Race tech and Progressive to see if they have any kind of solutions for me.

I really enjoy the heck out of this bike, and really don't want to get rid of it if this can be solved.
    Last edited by BlackM50; 03-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    2012 Suzuki DL650 ADV
    2007 Victory Hammer

My Bike(s)
    2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Meanstreak
    deleted
    Last edited by cbratch67; 03-12-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Posted too quickly

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    My 2006 with 17k miles on it probably needs to have the fork oil replaced as well. I didn't realize how "mushy" they were till I bought a second new bike and can tell a big difference when holding the front brake and rocking the bike front to back.

Sponsored Links