Hard saddlebags for the M50?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50

Hard saddlebags for the M50?

So I just came back from a weekend camping and riding trip in central PA (beautiful riding, btw,) and my one buddy surprises us, opens the door on his car hauler, and shows us the 2013 H-D Road King he just bought. Nice bike, but I'm just not a Harley guy--I still think the bikes are mechanically inferior to ours. But I digress...the real issue here is the sound system on the new H-D! It's just beautiful. Hard saddlebags with integrated marine speakers in the lid, and speaker pods inside the crash bars (which look kind of goofy but sound great.) Now, I have two questions: (1) why is it that Harley seems to be leaving Suzuki in the dust when it comes to offering bikes with decent stereos? (2) Does anyone make a hard bag set with speakers in the lid like the H-D design? I'd love to put some music on my M, wouldn't do the forward speakers like H-D but the bag speakers would be cool. Thoughts, ideas, etc?
    "The Dude abides."

~Jeff Lebowski

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    willie and max make a touring kit that might fit your needs.
    kuryakyn makes some speaker pods that mount to rigid/hard saddlebags.
    bikers choice had some hard bags with cutouts.
    why is it that Harley seems to be leaving Suzuki in the dust when it comes to offering bikes with decent stereos?
    suzuki doesnt offer a full on touring bike. thus the lack of options. outside of the touring line no harley comes with stereos. the wings are the only with stereos, ....

honda, bmw, harley, kawasaki, indian, victory make the touring bikes. by touring bike i mean fully faired, hardbags, cruise control, .....

-I still think the bikes are mechanically inferior to ours.
    i think you might be the only one that thinks that. now an electraglide vs a goldwing vs a bmw rt and you'll get a lively discussion.

its rare to find 20 yr old bikes with 100k miles on them outside of honda, harley, bmw.
    Last edited by slozomby; 09-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    Don't bother buying HardStreet saddle bags, not a good brand, crack easily.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    Suzuki used to make a full tourer, may I present to you the Cavalcade.
    1988_GV1400_USsales1d_800.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beer is living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 M50 Limited
    If you cant beat em join em I have harley hard bags installed on my M with speaker lids. I got the bags used on craigslist and fabbed my own mounting system.
    2009 M50 SE powder coated struts, bars, hand controls, front end & headlight. blacked out chrome pieces,
    Integrated tail light, custom mounted batwing faring ,
    custom mounted Harley hard bags,
    Cobra streetrod slashdowns

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimunster View Post
    Suzuki used to make a full tourer, may I present to you the Cavalcade.
    1988_GV1400_USsales1d_800.jpg
    And what a Gawdawfull bike it was too! Basically it was inferior in almost every possible way to the Goldwing, Venture, and Voyager. A big, hulking beast of a bike with nearly a 1100-pound curb weight, with an engine that you had to spin high to make power, a shaft drive unit with an astronomically high failure rate, and a price tag some 20% higher than a comparably equipped Goldwing (which had a larger engine), it was a huge flop. Suzuki lost a boatload of money on that bike. At a time when Honda was selling almost 40,000 Goldwings a year just in the USA, Suzuki managed to sell only 8500 Cavalcades total worldwide across 4 model years, and many of those lingered in dealership showrooms until heavily discounted 3-4 years after production stopped. The whole Cavalcade project was one of the biggest screw ups in the history of Suzuki.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGUY View Post
    If you cant beat em join em I have harley hard bags installed on my M with speaker lids. I got the bags used on craigslist and fabbed my own mounting system.
    Must have pics of this mod!!!

Which HD bags did you use, Road King? Were the speakers in them or did you cut them and install from there?

Harley make a "Hogshead" sound system that mounts on the inside of your windshield and doesn't look too hideous for $400, but I'm intrigued by your saddlebag system. More details!
    "The Dude abides."

~Jeff Lebowski

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 M50 Limited
    standard harley hard bags from street glide road king any touring bike. I purchased cycle sounds lids made for 6x9 speakers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard saddlebags for the M50?-024.jpg  
    2009 M50 SE powder coated struts, bars, hand controls, front end & headlight. blacked out chrome pieces,

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50
    Did you have to relocate your turn signals, or do the bags tuck in right in front of them?
    "The Dude abides."

~Jeff Lebowski

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 M50 Limited
    I have custom dynamics integrated rear turn signals. I did the passenger peg flip and have the bags mounted 3/4" above the Cobra streetrod slash down exhaust.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    if your looking for another speaker option might want to check out some of the forkbag stereos out there.

Last edited by slozomby; 09-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    And what a Gawdawfull bike it was too! Basically it was inferior in almost every possible way to the Goldwing, Venture, and Voyager. A big, hulking beast of a bike with nearly a 1100-pound curb weight, with an engine that you had to spin high to make power, a shaft drive unit with an astronomically high failure rate, and a price tag some 20% higher than a comparably equipped Goldwing (which had a larger engine), it was a huge flop. Suzuki lost a boatload of money on that bike. At a time when Honda was selling almost 40,000 Goldwings a year just in the USA, Suzuki managed to sell only 8500 Cavalcades total worldwide across 4 model years, and many of those lingered in dealership showrooms until heavily discounted 3-4 years after production stopped. The whole Cavalcade project was one of the biggest screw ups in the history of Suzuki.
    Good info! When are you contributing to the consolidated motorcycle encyclopaedia Dr Bob?
    You know, it doesn't LOOK too bad! Stylish even!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50
    Has anyone used (or even seen) a pair of Mutazu bags like these:

Matte Black Motorcycle Hard Saddle Bags C50 V Star Shadow Vulcan VTX Road Spirit | eBay

I'd like to know if they fit on the M without moving the turn signals and flipping the passenger pegs, and if they're decent quality. There's some serious junk out there on eBay in the hard saddlebag department! Thoughts?
    "The Dude abides."

~Jeff Lebowski

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Probably wouldn't need to move the signals. Pegs would be a different story though. If you plan to have anyone on the back, they would probably need to be done.

My bags are 14in long, I think I have about 4-5 inches before they would hit the signals. The link you provided says they are 17in long, I think they'll fit.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50
    Is the "passenger peg flip" as easy as it looks? Just two bolts on each side and move them to the opposite side? Is there anything else to know? That just seems to easy, and one of those things that you look at and say, "Why didn't they just do that from the factory?"
    "The Dude abides."

~Jeff Lebowski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links