ignition coil and spark plug wires replacement questions
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki M50 (black/white)

ignition coil and spark plug wires replacement questions

2009 M50 SE.
    I've been looking for a video on replacement of the ignition coils since the spark plug wire and coil are one assembly. Can anyone direct me to a video that shows how to replace the coils?
    Or maybe how to replace just the boots and wires and splice them together?
    Does anyone know if you have to remove more than the gas tank to remove the coils?
    Any recommendations on a place to buy these parts? Should I stick with OEM or is there any aftermarket upgrades?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I cant help you re the removal but there should be aftermarket ones available. You cannot splice HT cables successfully in my experience. The old cables are often just glued into the coils and can, with care, be removed getting replacement cables will probably prove difficult but may not be impossible. Online parts suppliers are your best shot in this case or performance shops.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by heathbar View Post
    2009 M50 SE.
    I've been looking for a video on replacement of the ignition coils since the spark plug wire and coil are one assembly. Can anyone direct me to a video that shows how to replace the coils?
    Trying to cut corners with this likely will turn out to be a BIG mistake.
    Change the coil, boot and wire as one assembly, the way it was designed to be done.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester

parts

dont think about it use factory parts only safety & dependability first
    Last edited by mrsuzukitech; 08-06-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: misspeled word

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I dont think the best option is factory stuff....many times I have used aftermarket gear that was just as dependable and up to half the cost.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    I dont think the best option is factory stuff....many times I have used aftermarket gear that was just as dependable and up to half the cost.
    It depends.
    It seems like there is a lot of pure JUNK out there these days.
    A lot of "cheap" stuff is really not worth the price.

The odds of having something work the first time and continue to work ........and not become a big hassle if it doesn't work......are much better by dealing with a local shop and using OEM parts. That's for mechanical and electrical engine parts. Body work and accessories is a whole different game.

My theory is: If you really can afford OEM parts, then that's what you should use.
    The current obsession with saving a penny whether you need to or not often causes more trouble than it avoids.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Well I have used many aftermarket mechanical and electrical items that have proven just as good as oem...esp when restoring an old british bike where oem are just not available any more...the oem electrical stuff, esp, was pretty much unreliable. I do agree on a lot of stuff coming out of China though.

As for saving a penny it works out to be a great deal more on some stuff...a Hayabusa fuel pump was over $600 for oem and the Bosch counterpart half that. The oem ones can last as little as three or so years before they get clogged up with dirt in an ireplaceable internal part.

In the final analysis the cost of many oem parts are priced ridiculously high...manufacturers would rather you buy a new machine than fix your old one.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    In the final analysis the cost of many oem parts are priced ridiculously high...manufacturers would rather you buy a new machine than fix your old one.
    Some of that is caused by the insurance industry being willing to pay outrageous prices for replacement parts too.
    When I needed replacement headlights for my Ford truck, the dealer quoted me $500.......EACH.
    I got them online for about $75 each and they worked fine.

So I agree that the price differential should be a determining factor.
    If you are buying a $20 part and will "save" $5, I think it's best to go OEM and deal locally.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Too right...a few bucks isnt worth the risk but parts prices are insane....five hundred for a headlight....I assume it included the light cluster...idicator/sidelight as one unit?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    ...five hundred for a headlight....I assume it included the light cluster...idicator/sidelight as one unit?
    NO. Just the headlight assembly.
    All plastic.

My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki M50 (black/white)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    It depends.
    It seems like there is a lot of pure JUNK out there these days.
    A lot of "cheap" stuff is really not worth the price.

The odds of having something work the first time and continue to work ........and not become a big hassle if it doesn't work......are much better by dealing with a local shop and using OEM parts. That's for mechanical and electrical engine parts. Body work and accessories is a whole different game.

My theory is: If you really can afford OEM parts, then that's what you should use.
    The current obsession with saving a penny whether you need to or not often causes more trouble than it avoids.
    I'm not looking for cheap. I just want what works well. I'm not opposed to OEM or aftermarket. Does anyone know of a place that sells quality aftermarket parts for the M50 with things like the ignition coils?

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Oem stuff will be avaialable at any Suzuki dealer. Online parts outlets are mostly OK.... I would avoid Chinese stuff...although its difficult to get stuff not made there these days. Online via EBay prices vary from $24 to $76 for a set. Most likely Chinese but at those prices it is probably worth the risk. A performance parts outlet may have some suiatbale ones. I would be tempted to get the original ones checked out if Suzuki ones are expensive as shotguning parts is never a good idea.

Good luck

Seat Tester
    people want chept parts junk

Sponsored Links