Hard to start when cold
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hard to start when cold

Hey guys. Newbe here. I just picked up a 2001 marauder vz800 with only 4500 miles. It has been sitting for about 1.5 years. I went through it and put a new battery spark plugs oil and filter air filters I have drained all the gas out of it and put in 93 octane ethanol free fuel with injector cleaner.

So the issue is when I try to start it in the morning or even after sitting for 2 or 3 hours it takes about 5 minutes to get it to start with full choke I even try half choke. If I try to give it any throttle it will die.

What are your suggestions. When it does start and is warmed up it runs great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold
    If the bike has carbs the idle circuits are probably still blocked...a good dose of quality carb cleaner over night is a good start. If it is an injected machine then I would suspect the fuel pump filters not supplying enbough fuel at low speed cold starts. It may also be something like an air temp sensor not working and thus not injecting sufficient fuel when cold....could even be a loose connector to something along those lines.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Yes it has 2 carbs one for each cylinder

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    sold
    Try some Gumout...supposed to be really good...leave it over night at least after running the engine for a short time.

Good luck

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Try some Gumout...supposed to be really good...leave it over night at least after running the engine for a short time.
    This could be tricky, since he already has injector cleaner in the gas. Too much additives can be a problem too.

Gumout carb cleaner (original formula) is good; so is Berrymans B12 Chemtool and I would recommend either but the tank and bowls likely need to be drained again first.

Starting: Choke on full, hand OFF of the throttle at least until it sputters and then only a tiny bit of throttle.
    Once running, be sure the idle speed hasn't been jacked down too low in an attempt to make it "lope" at idle.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Would I be better off taking the carbs off and put them.in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgregory View Post
    Would I be better off taking the carbs off and put them.in an ultrasonic cleaner?
    Maybe but probably not, especially given the many chances of making matters worse instead of better.

Berrymans B12 Chemtool is great stuff. I've seen it do wonders.
    Drain out most of the gas, put in some fresh with B12 and give it a chance.
    You have nothing to lose and maybe a LOT to gain.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    sold
    Whs^...

jjk
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki m50
    For what it's worth when I tried 93 octane in my 2008 m50, VZ 800, it ran like crap try just regular,

My Bike(s)
    1999 VS800 Intruder
    Quote Originally Posted by jjk View Post
    For what it's worth when I tried 93 octane in my 2008 m50, VZ 800, it ran like crap try just regular,
    I have the VS800 and it doesn't like the 93 octane gas, as a matter of fact people with these bikes say not to use it. The Clymers, used best for a door stop, says regular 89 octane is what should be used. Also the choke isn't really a choke, but a fuel enricher. It adds a little fuel or is that air? I forget. Anyway it doesn't act like a choke. These bike are designed to use ethanol gas and not regual gas. My bike is a 1999 Intruder VS800.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2005 boulevard m50
    my 05 M50 runs ok on regular but I've found it runs better, more power, better mpg on premium. I know this will confuse you with different responses, but best to try all 3 levels and see what works best for your bike. IMO

My Bike(s)
    2009 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Johninokla View Post
    These bike are designed to use ethanol gas and not regual gas.
    More accurately, any modern engines are built to tolerate the ethanol-contaminated gas because they have to. Don't get me started on that monumental scam.
    I can't see how running straight gasoline could do any harm, I've tried some a couple of times and didn't notice any difference.
    Oh, and I have always just run regular 87 octane, I haven't tried 'plus' or premium.
    Last edited by rhorst; Yesterday at 11:38 AM.

Sponsored Links