Slight Surge at constant speed
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?

Question Slight Surge at constant speed

Just bought a used M50 with only 985 miles. Great bike but the first I have owned with fuel injection. At constant speeds and during deceleration, I am noticing a slight surge. Is this normal to fuel injection and if not can the dealer adjust the fuel injection to eliminate the surge? Thanks for any help. Great forum, I am glad to be a part of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Marauder 1600 Black
    Not sure what can be done (another fuel processor?), but mine did/does the same thing. I don't notice it as much now after I put aftermarket pipes on it, and I have a Cobra fi2000 on the way so I hope that takes care of it while getting the mixture right with the new pipes.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    Blue M50
    No surging on mine, I have 6300km on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Sam
    Just bought a used M50 with only 985 miles. Great bike but the first I have owned with fuel injection. At constant speeds and during deceleration, I am noticing a slight surge. Is this normal to fuel injection and if not can the dealer adjust the fuel injection to eliminate the surge? Thanks for any help. Great forum, I am glad to be a part of it.
    Is there any mods done to the bike? Aftermarket pipes? Baffles drilled out? Did the previous owner modify the air intake at all?

It sounds like it is running lean. Which these bikes are set up pretty lean from the factory to comply with the EPA standards. However, this one sounds like it is running leaner than normal.

When you snap the throttle open....Does it kinda fall flat on its face? Does it stutter, then eventually catch up?

The dealer can re-map for you.

Of course, we all here will steer you to mods!!!

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Marauder 1600 Black
    Maybe a little lean is what one of the local dealers told me too - for the same reasons that intimid8er mentioned. Hopefully the fi2000 will knock that out. I kept complaining of the surging, but the dealer where I bought mine (and had the 600 mile service) said that all showed normal on the anylizer. I've also heard rumor that the GSXRs have similar problems, and that would stand to reason - they use the same EFI setup from what I understand. Seems like I don't notice it near as much with the extra "umph" that the pipes gave it. Maybe I'm on the throttle a lot more too.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Black M50
    I find the throttle really touchy on mine too...when riding down a slight incline in 4th it's hard to maintain a constant throttle speed...maybe the play in the throttle...surging a little up and down with uneven road surfaces...
    It's not WHAT you ride...It's THAT you ride....

'05 Black M50, Zuki inspired rear fender mod, LED license plate bolts (blue), Painted wheel weights black, leather lever covers, Low sissy bar and mounts, rear fender rack, partially debadged and dedecal'd

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Black M50
    I find the throttle really touchy on mine too...when riding down a slight incline in 4th it's hard to maintain a constant throttle speed...maybe the play in the throttle...surging a little up and down with uneven road surfaces...and congrats J...welcome to the forums!
    It's not WHAT you ride...It's THAT you ride....

'05 Black M50, Zuki inspired rear fender mod, LED license plate bolts (blue), Painted wheel weights black, leather lever covers, Low sissy bar and mounts, rear fender rack, partially debadged and dedecal'd

Doesn't think you're funny
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard M50 Black
    man...i know ive had a couple glasses of wine with dinner, but i am seeing double already! haha

Hi,
    Fit a Power commander 3 and all your problems will be fixed. I had one fitted to mine and its superb. Set up on the dyno by the technician and its custom mapped for the bike, no guess work in setting up like on other add on units.
    Also our bikes are lean low down and rich higher up in the rev range, the PC corrects it all.
    Safe riding.
    Jeff.

Sponsored Links