Replace After Market Pipes with Original Pipes
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Replace After Market Pipes with Original Pipes

I have recently purchased a used 2004 Suzuki Volusia with Cobra pipes. I want to replace them with the original exhaust because the Cobra ones are too loud. I have heard something about porting when putting on a different exhaust and that there will also be a loss of power with the original exhaust. What do I need to do to replace the Cobra pipes with the original ones? How much power will loose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Porting? Nope. You may lose a few ponies, though, depending on how well it was tuned for the aftermarket hardware. Welcome to the site.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Have you found a set of stock pipes? There are usually a few to be found on some Vol/C50 specific sites. Often they can be had for minimal cost, or simply the cost of shipping. Watch out for E-bay, don't even bother there. If you don't have them yet, and want some sites, I will post them here for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

I have a practically new set of stock M50 pipes just sitting here in my garage ... make me an offer; shoot me an email at [email protected] .

Porting no.... Rejetting maybe..... Do you have the stock air filter?

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    Stock pipes sound nice when broken in, do not P*** off your neighbours.

Original Pipes

Thanks for the information and offer for original Pipes. I have the original ones. The guy who I gought the bike from had them.
    Rejetting? What is that?
    Yes I have the orginal air filter as well. The only aftermarket engine stuff on the bike is the pipes.
    As I have never worked on engiens other that plugs and oil changes would it be wiser the have the dealer do the work?
    Last edited by bnation; 02-18-2006 at 07:59 PM.

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    04 Volusia is a carberated bike, 05 and on the bike is fuel injected and called a C50.
    When you do things like change your pipes and/or change your aircleaner, you rejet your carbs. The easy way is to ask the previous owner what mods. he has done to the bike.
    We can not answer or tell you with out having the bike. If you read thru the threads there is good info here. It is easer for you to read the threads than for members here to continue to answer the same questions over and over.

The search function works well and if you do not then find the answer then find a thread and someone will help.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    When you put stock pipes back on you slightly restrict exhaust flow from the aftermarket setup. This changes the air/fuel mix slightly - in this case it will enrichen the mixture. Therefore, if there've been any changes made to the carbs, you'll probably want to undo them. A ride will tell you for sure, and I'd keep an eye on the plugs. If they're blacking out you're probably rich. At a minimum, check to see what air filter is installed. If it's something free-flowing like a K&N, you might want to replace it with an OEM unit.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

If you decide to go this route, I am selling a like new complete set of pipes off of an '05 C90 Boulevard.

Sponsored Links