02 Intruder 1500 no spark
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    02 Suzuki Intruder 1500

02 Intruder 1500 no spark

I have a 1500 Intruder with about 10K miles. It was running great, parked it one day and it wouldn't start. Found a forum on decomp for dummies. Diagnosed it, made the adjustments, and it ran great the following day (stopped and started multiple times - put about 100 miles on it that day). Then (several weeks later) went to start it again and it wouldn't start. Decomp adjustments looked ok. Checked the spark plugs (yes I did ground them) and no spark. Got the specs on the coils and they checked out fine. Bike turns over no problem (brand new battery) - just won't fire. I'm a bit of a novice on electrical stuff, so just to be sure, I brought a coil to the dealer (getting identical readings from both coils). He agreed coils looked fine, suggested I bring it in. It doesn't run, I can't do it. Any suggestions?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    These bikes were known for funky electrical problems that came and went. At the root of the problem was the stator assembly, which had the signal generator built in as an integral part of it. The signal generator told the ignition control module when to fire the plugs, so when it went out the plugs would not fire. Generally total failure was not sudden, it started as an on-again, off again starting problem like the one you describe- many people got so frustrated that they sold their 1500LCs and went to another bike. The stator/signal generator assembly was redesigned around 2004 or so, and Suzuki stopped selling the old one, so swapping out the stator assembly for a new one is considered a permanent fix. Sometimes you get lucky, and if you give the battery a full charge or jump it off from another one, the extra juice will get you one more start to get it to the dealer, and sometimes if you just keep trying it the bike will fire. But a tow is your best bet for a bike that probably will not restart it it stalls on the way to the shop. Most dealers will come and get it for a reasonable fee, or know a place that will tow it in. Figure $250 for the assembly, plus a side cover gasket, and an oil change from opening the motor, plus labor. Figure 5 bills.
    Last edited by DrBob; 01-30-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Yamaha Roadliner
    Plus one on the signal generator... Suzuki doesn't sell it separate from the stator but you can get a Yamaha unit that works. You just have to reverse the wires.

Yamaha Grizzly, Raptor & Warrior pickup coil
    TJ

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Yeah, you could rig it up, but that assumes that the signal generator it the only problem and the stator/ harness are fine. The entire assembly was a flawed design, so the only way to perminantly prevent future problems is to replace it with the redesigned unit.
    Pity about this problem. The electrical problems, along with the leaky gas tanks and the crappy way Suzuki handled the recall, soured the reputation of an otherwise excellent model.

My Bike(s)
    02 Suzuki Intruder 1500

Thanks

Just wanted to thank you both very much for your posts. Sounds alot like my problem. Also sounds like you both have a bit of experience with these bikes.

Not to push my luck but . . . I'm going to try this myself. Any words of caution, enlightenment, etc.? I've been around auto's, but not motorcycles. I've pulled up some diagrams, and looks fairly straight forward. Any tricks I need to know? DrBob I'm going to take your advise and replace the whole assembly. tj1964 - normally I would go with only the signal generator, but being a novice I think the safest thing for me is the shot gun approach.

Again I appreciate the info like you wouldn't believe. I was looking at renting a trailer and letting the dealer tear my head off. Worst case scenario I still feel better giving this a try first. I'll let you know how it turns out - but it will be a few weeks or so before I get to it (weekends only you know). Thanks again.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    I was looking at renting a trailer and letting the dealer tear my head off.
    Dealers own trailers. Most will do a tow for a LOT less than the cost of renting one; sometimes for zero extra cost if the repair bill is over a certain value......or you have a good relationship with them already......or if it's off-season and they need the work.

Edit: While you have excellent advice already, gotta mention the obvious before you order expensive parts.....like the kill switch and clutch/side stand/neutral safety switches......and the ignition switch and fuses, but I think you've checked them already.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-01-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Yamaha Roadliner
    Before you tackle the job you may want to take a look over at the LC1500/C90 forum over at Delphi. Those guys really know all the in/outs of the bike and are very helpful.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/RLCMC
    TJ

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    Replacement of the signal generator is pretty straight-forward, and its even easier if you replace the stator and signal at the same time. I would go with an aftermarket piece. This stator/signal generator unit for $139 has proven to be reliable. Changing requires draining the oil, removing the left crankcase covers and removing the old unit (3 bolts), installing the new one, feeding the wire harness into the rear crankcase area where the R/R is, and connecting the plugs.

You really need to join Suzuki 1500LC / C90 Owners Group We can talk you through this, hook you up with other nearby owners, and help you spend your accessory allowance. When you set up the bike right, you won't even recognize it. see?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02 Intruder 1500 no spark-001.jpg  

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
    You really need to join Suzuki 1500LC / C90 Owners Group
    AND he really needs to check back for follow-ups when he posts on a forum.
    It has been 20 days now.
    He may not ever see your answer.

My Bike(s)
    02 Suzuki Intruder 1500

Checking in

Oh, I check in. Just nothing to say yet. It's been cold and I haven't done anything yet. But I do appreciate everyone's posts. I was going to check with the dealer today for pricing, but I've pretty much decided on an after-market assembly. Cheapest I found was approx $160.00 (can't remember the site but I'm sure I can find it again). If you can recommend a place for $139.00 that'll be the one. I've looked at the schematics and the job does seem pretty straight forward. I do like your headlight bar - nice looking bike. Thanks to everyone

My Bike(s)
    02 Suzuki Intruder 1500

Done

DrBob - you were right on the money. Replaced the stator assembly and I'm back up and running. After market stator w/ pulse generator was 160.00 (1 yr warranty), gasket was about 14.00, oil & filter was around 30.00. Not too difficult of a fix, and it fired right up. Put about 60 miles on it today and it was great. Can't thank you and everyone else enough. Till next time thanks again

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Glad to help and glad you got it fixed.

May 2007 Member of the month
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500LC

Well I'm in the same boat now...LOL!!! Not really funny..

Mine has done the same thing. Probably is the exact same thing. Should have read the writing on the wall. Symptoms started with the bike not charging with all the heated gear on during the winter months. Couple of those 24 degree mornings a couple months ago left me stranded at places I would rather not be. Had to get a jump off and ride home in the dark with no heated gear at 22 degrees outside. Bought a new battery. In fact I got the 625 cranking amp G-Batt from G-Man.

Took a trip out to Lousianna a couple weeks ago and rode it pretty hard trying to outrun some tornado weather on the return trip. Got caught in the storm with 5 miles to go on the interstate. Made it to Hattiesburg, MS and parked it under the hotel shelter for the night. Next morning loaded up to go home and no start. Well it would turn over, flood the carbs(you could smell the gas), and not crank.

One of my friends ran to the parts store for some starting fluid. Meanwhile I am tearing the fake tank assembly apart. Checked the rear plug and it had fire. Friend got back and we shot either in the air boxes at the carb pickups. Turned it over and it fired up. Bolted it back together and it was slowly cooling down. After finishing the re-assembly it wouldn't crank again. Kept trying and finally it fired up.

Ran it hard to the next fuel stop and then only shut her off long enough to fill it up. Kept riding it and eventually stopped in Birmingham, AL for a late lunch. Bike cools off, come outside, and it doesn't want to crank again. Kept trying and it finally fired up. Ran it all the way home and parked her where she has sat not cranking ever since.

Oh yeah.. 24.6 mpg at 75 mph on that final day. Something is wrong in "LC" land.

I decided it was time after a few days to find out what was wrong thinking the decomp. Decomp is fine. Checked the front plug and it had no fire. Swapped plugs and still no fire from the front coil. Checked the rear coil and it had fire. Figured easy fix. Replace the front coil. BTW.. Suzuki sells this as 4 separate parts.

Didn't fix it. Ok... Suzuki wants $1100 to $1200 for the Ignitor assembly. That has to be the culprit. Oh and btw.. two days later the rear coil no longer fires either. So I figured that Ignitor has to go. Besides I found an aftermarket unit that people claim to get better throttle response, mileage, and a slight increase in HP. $230 to $310 for this unit.

So I talked to Gary @ G-Man Industries and bought a Dynatek 3000 after reading all the reviews. Even overnighted it here. Got it today and installed it. Tried to crank her and whoala.... nothing.

I have the shop manual for the bike and already ran the yes or no schematic. Figured it was either the ignitor or the signal generator a couple of days ago. Was hoping for the fix tonight as I was planning on riding it to a Police Memorial Ride tomorrow. Guess I will be riding my wife's '07 Shadow 750 Spirit instead.

So I think I want to either try replacing the stator assembly with the signal generator myself or see what my local mechanic will do it for.

You think it was that easy? The manual says there is a special tool required to remove the magneto assembly. Is that the case or are there any special tricks to getting it off?

Thanks in advance!!!

Oh... Hey DrBob!! Hope you have been doing well!!!
    No Signature needed.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Hey man! I am good, how about you? Too bad about your bike- get a new stator/ signal generator assembly and you will be fine. 99.999% of the time that is the problem when a 1500Lc won't fire. You didn;t waste your oney on the Dynatekthough, as it is a good upgrade for your bike. Gary is a great guy, and I have turned many miles with him and his wife. Hope to see tham again this summer.

As I recall, the only reason they tell you to use a special tool for the stator is because they are afraid you will damage it, or cause it to loose it's magnetic charge if you hit it trying to get it off the shaft. As your's goes in the trash anyways...

Ride safe-
    Last edited by DrBob; 04-16-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    99.999% of the time that is the problem when a 1500Lc won't fire.
    Do you think that's what he really means by "won't crank" ??
    I suppose so but it's a little confusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links