'09 M90 Boulevard trany/shifter problem
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsuzukitech
  • 1 Post By arcare
  • 1 Post By Easy Rider
  • 1 Post By arcare

Thread: '09 M90 Boulevard trany/shifter problem

I have trouble down shifting. If I do not down shift while slowing down, when I come to a stop I cannot shift to lower gears. For example, if I come to a stop without going through all the gears as I slow and get completely stopped in 4th gear with the clutch in, I have to down shift to third, let the clutch out till it grabs, shift to third, let the clutch out till it grabs, shift to second, let the clutch out till it grabs, shift to first.
    Anyone have this problem before and maybe a solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    What you are experiencing is not unusual for a motorcycle gearbox All the bikes I have owned needed each gear being loaded, (let the clutch out till it bites slightly) before it would easily shift down. The trick is to be down to say second just before you wish to stop and selecting neutral should be easier.

Other things that help easier shifting are regular oil changes....since the engine shares the same oil in most bike models and makes. Also make sure the shift linkage is free and not binding. It may also need adjustment to clear your foot if you have recently started to wear boots or different shoes...this is usually because the boot doesnt allow the gear pedal to fully return before the next shift is attempted.

If you have a cable clutch it is best to have about 3mm play at the lever end before any load is felt on the clutch lever.

If its a hydraulic one it may need bleeding or more fluid. There will be a bleed nipple at the slave cylinder....engine end. Fit a pipe to the nipple and have the other end in a container with fluid in. Pump the clutch lever...not too hard or it will spray fluid out...then crack the nipple while applying force to the lever. When it is fully pulled in tighten the nipple then relaese the lever. Repeat until you get good operation.

Make sure the master cylinder is kept topped up or air will enter and you will have to start over. Any spills on pain etc must be washed off with clean water asap or damage will occure. A rag around the master cylinder is a good idea

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by arcare View Post
    Anyone have this problem before and maybe a solution?
    Yes. Every bike I've owned over 50 years or so.

That's just the way it works.

The only "fix" is to practice downshifting one gear at a time as your speed slows.......so that becomes an automatic habit.

On a panic stop when you don't have time to worry about shifting......it will still be a problem.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice guys. The bike developed this issue since last summer though. Before that I could goes through all the gears like butter, up/down, no problema. Then at the end of fall it started this. When I took her out last week, the prob seemed worse. On another forum I also got some advice that it's not uncommon for that model to just have grit and gunge hindering the shifter and a good cleaning and lubing has helped those folks. The bike had been sitting for a couple of months so maybe it just got a little more gummed up. So when I get a chance, I'll see what's going on. Thanks again.
    Last edited by arcare; 03-26-2019 at 11:38 PM.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2002 SV-650N, Yamaha 1100 custom,2007
    is it possible the clutch wasn't adjusted properly and had a little drag and now it's worn away.

The oil you use can make a bit difference. My Intruder is sensitive to this. Interestingly, it doesn’t like full synthetic oils, the shifter gets gritty and it doesn’t like downshifts even while still moving. Castrol 10W-40 4T works the best for me in that bike. As mentioned above, practice downshifting as your speed decreases, motorcycle gears typically don’t like to mesh when static and doing so can cause premature wear to the shift drum.
    Try using a different oil, see what happens.

Where Am I ?

oil

Quote Originally Posted by grgmini View Post
    The oil you use can make a bit difference. My Intruder is sensitive to this. Interestingly, it doesn’t like full synthetic oils, the shifter gets gritty and it doesn’t like downshifts even while still moving. Castrol 10W-40 4T works the best for me in that bike. As mentioned above, practice downshifting as your speed decreases, motorcycle gears typically don’t like to mesh when static and doing so can cause premature wear to the shift drum.
    Try using a different oil, see what happens.
    start using the suzuki ECSTAR R5000 10-40 4t oil that will solve the problem change the oil filter use the OE filter.
    grgmini likes this.

Was working fine and now isn't? Sounds like the hydraulic clutch needs servicing. No adjustment on that type. Remove the cap on the reservoir by the clutch handle and check to see if there is "crud" in there. There is a tiny pin hole in the bottom that is the fluid return that often gets plugged by that debris. If so then then CAREFULLY clean with a thin piece of soft wire. Then bleed the clutch as you would hydraulic brakes. Run a piece of plastic tubing from the bleeder nipple to a clean jar with brake fluid in it. The tubing must stay submerged or you will introduce air into the system. Always use a fresh unopened bottle of brake fluid when servicing hydraulic clutch or brakes. As stated before the fluid is highly detrimental to paint and plastic. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsuzukitech View Post
    start using the suzuki ECSTAR R5000 10-40 4t oil that will solve the problem change the oil filter use the OE filter.
    While that might be a good idea, there is no guarantee that it will "solve the problem"......partly because there might not BE a problem that is fixable.

Ok, I don't mean to be a downer about this but I fixed the problem. The lubricant in the bushing on the shifter pedal had turned to bubble gum. Cleaned it up and lubed it with Ezzox and it shifts like greased lightning now. Even threw a little lube in the kickstand pivot and nearly threw my knee out when I went to put the kickstand down! I love it! So thanks again. Ya'll keep it simple. lol
    grgmini likes this.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Ok, I don't mean to be a downer about this but I fixed the problem.
    Don't understand your "downer" comment.
    We appreciate your follow-up relating what you found and fixed.

Yes, one should always check the basic easiest and simplest things first.
    Your story is an excellent example.
    grgmini likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Don't understand your "downer" comment.
    Everybody seemed to be having such a good time when the problem was a mystery I kind of hated to say I fixed it.
    grgmini likes this.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Everybody seemed to be having such a good time when the problem was a mystery I kind of hated to say I fixed it.
    Good one.
    Another problem to "play with" will be along soon.

Sponsored Links