bad stator vs no spark.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

bad stator vs no spark.

hello everyone. trying to get a proper answer from someone who would really know this
    I have a burgman 400. this is the situation I had

-went to the gym and before going in, connected my alarm + and - cables to the battery to activate it
    at home there was construction constantly firing off the alarm so I just disconnected the wires
    -came back out bike would not start, no cranking no sound, horn works, lights work, signal lights work, but no crank/clicking
    -towed bike to suzuki certified shop
    -head shop mechanic said there is no spark but it might be the stator he said" its expensive..dont know what it is. maybe the stator or something else but to pinpoint will cost a lot of money" so basically that got me out of there.

I checked the coil and resistance wise, it seems fine within spec. but yes, no spark. I moved the plug to the body. nada. it does crank now. after cleaning a few different parts, like the start button and brake switches. fuses are fine.
    ill have to check voltages but I have no idea where do I check with the probes of my multimeter

besides that, my question isת does the stator have anything to do with starting the bike IF EVERYTHING else is A-OK ? if the stator was bad, should the bike still start?

battery is fine and new 13.02v when off. brand new. just bought.
    I ralize the stator wont chanrge and ultimately the bikes electronics will shut down. but thats not a concern. im asking about starting it. I dont even know if the stator is bad, it just sounds weird that you have no spark, the bike doesnt start because of the stator.

thank you all for your insight. cheers.
    Last edited by supersteel; 05-07-2019 at 10:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

I do have the picture of the diagram

sorry need 3 posts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

this is the diagram
    https://imgur.com/a/UtoYOux

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    In some engine designs, there is a second winding in the stator that provides power and/or timing to the ignition circuits.
    I don't know anything about Burgman, however.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

thank you for your help
    how difficult is swapping a stator?
    I do my own variator work. oils filters and such but a stator would be a first time thing.

Seat Tester
    If u dont have spark check the pickup coil use a volt meter & set to AC volts, than the ingniter is bad & or the ing switch is dirty needs to be clean by taking it apart the stator has nothing to do with the starting the bike

Sponsored Links