Heads-up display
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    '13 Ninja 650

Heads-up display

Hopefully this is the right subforum for this.

Some time after Skully stumbled in 2016, I built myself a heads-up display as a hobby project (I figured that, if I didnít do it for myself, nobody would ever do it). Since interest seems to be reviving in this subject (Nuviz, Crosshelmet, Skully again, etc.), I thought Iíd share what I made.

A few pictures:

The eyepiece displays text from a small projector in your field-of-view, so I never have to look away from the road. Itíll display speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. The HUD pairs via Bluetooth to a smartphone. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

I designed it to fit inside both of my helmets, and Iím quite certain it will fit into any adult full-face helmet, which is a good thing, since the helmets I have fit me well and are the right weight.

Itíll work during the day (with a tinted visor; with a clear visor, the display isnít quite bright enough to clearly see), and at night. Itís also waterproof.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

And it charges with a standard Android charging cable:

The eyepiece is made out of a ballistics-grade composite. It probably wonít stop a real bullet, but it wonít shatter, even in a serious accident.

The pieces are attached to the helmet at multiple points using the same adhesive GoPros use. For those of you who have used it, you know that itís incredibly, stubbornly strong. Iím confident that the pieces wonít detach in an accident.

Anyways, I brought this to a motorcycle show last month by chance, and a few people I met thought I ought to turn it into a kit and sell it. Iím not actually selling it, because I havenít certified it with the right regulatory bodies, and I havenít done that much safety testing with it, but Iím curious whether or not people would be interested in this, if I worked on it and made it available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Welcome.

I hope you realize that, as your very first post here, it looks a LOT like spam.

Enough so that the software filters failed to approve it.

It is customary to establish some kind of a presence on a forum before "hawking" something.

I manually approved your post........but be careful with what comes next.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold
    Given the hurdlesyou would need to jump to get approval I would think selling the product is a few years distant at this time. Nice idea...allthough I am a bit wary of things that may take your concetration away from the road...even if it is shown on a screen.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Personally, I like the idea, but would be very uncomfortable with a piece of glass inside the helmet. I hope that you are using shatter-proof glass that will withstand an accident...

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

Where Am I ?
    I like the concept, but I'm not sure why everyone is concerned about it shattering. It looks like it's held away from the video, so if you fell you wouldn't hit it directly on the ground, nor would your face contact it due to the padding in the helmet. What other applications are possible? Cheaper HUD for a car driver?

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold
    Bodily damage from internal fittings in a helmet is a real possibility....no matter how far way from your face they are...at the moment of impact they will almost certainly move. I would look at mounting something like that on a thinner plastic moulded to the shape of and attached frimly to the visor.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Sponsored Links