Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sponsored Editorial Content

Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?

Yes, itís all true. Well, it kind of depends on your bike. Some motorcycles with great big flywheels and big gears, like many Harleys and some BMW Boxers, need the clutch Ė or at least a little clutch Ė for nearly every shift. Most sportbikes only need you to use the clutch to pull away from stops and for the shift from first to second gear.

At slow, around-town speeds, we mostly use at least a little clutch to shift anyway; you donít need to pull the lever all the way in every time you use it. But if youíre steadily accelerating, and especially at WOT (wide open throttle), youíll find that after second gear, if you roll the throttle closed just enough to unload the driveline, for just a split second, with your toe pressing on the lever, then third gear will slip right in without using the clutch at all. Fourth, 5th and 6th will slip in even easier since the gaps between them are increasingly smaller. Done smoothly, itís no harder on your gearbox than using the clutch.
    Read more about Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? at Motorcycle.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2016 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer
    Have to admit to having the same question many times as the Tracer shifts so easily at cruising speeds.

Sponsored Links