Are you Experienced? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: How many years of experience do you have riding?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 to 5 years

58 46.77%
  • 6 to 10 years

15 12.10%
  • 11 to 15 years

8 6.45%
  • 16 to 20 years

6 4.84%
  • 20+ years

37 29.84%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    07 Harley Street Bob, 09 Buell 1125CR, 11 Victory Cross Country, 2012 Royal Enfield Desert Storm
    Started riding in 1969 on a 60cc Yamaha. It was more than 10 years before buying a bike bigger than 350cc's. Didn't keep track of miles before 1981, but since then I've put over 250,000 on an assortment of bikes. I've seen some beautiful places and had a lot of fun. Hey, everybody needs a hobby!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

10 years of riding

I've ridden off-and-on since 1970. There were a few years while the children were growing up that I didn't ride at all (no free time, no extra cash, wife didn't want me taking the risk). I'd guess that I've actually ridden 20 of those 38 years. I put on more miles now than I did back then, so probably a grand total of around 75k miles (20k in that last 2 years).

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    Been riding big boy bikes for over 25 years...thanks for making me feel so "seasoned".

Although, I find I'm still learning new stuff with nearly every ride.

So the question for the more experienced riders is have you gone back and taken any rider safety courses recently? Refresher courses, advanced rider training etc.
    I'm assuming they didn't have them when some of you folks first started out riding.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    2004 kawasaki zzr 600
    no advanced course yet.. might next year though. would be kinda pointless at this stage of the season for me

Leaned over, knee down
    My Bike(s)
    05 Mean Streak
    I guess I could have put myself in the 6 to 10 year group, but I have had a few long gaps in my riding time due to deployments and other things that I don't honestly feel I am really that experianced.
    Mean Streak: Vance&Hines Big Shots, Mustang Vintage Sport Seat, Kuryakan Iso Grips, Iso Pegs, Custom World Highway Pegs, Cobra Mini Sissy Bar.

M50: Vance&Hines Cruzers, Debadged, Delumped (Seat) SOLD

Years of experience

I have been riding since 1974.
    In that time I have owned about a dozen different bikes including dirt bikes, Honda Goldwing, Suzuki GT750, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki M50 Boulevard. I am issued with BMW R1200RT as work bike (police) and also ride a KTM 625EXC at work. I ride on a daily basis.
    Main point is....I have never stopped learning. I have fallen off when my experience should have allowed me to forsee the hazards and stay on...but didnt. Experience is only as a good as mindset. A relatively inexperienced rider, with the right mind set (own safety, spatial awareness, pre-empting motorists, right safety gear, etc) can be a much safer and effective motorcyclist than one who has years of experience and relies on that experience alone. Sure it might be good enough to get him out of most trouble, but experience alone won't always get him home.

Well, I think I may have a little expirence. I got my 1st bike at age 6, and I'll be 49 this January. I rode 9 years in the dirt, and got my learners permit at age 15 1/2.
    My first street bike was a 64 H-D pan in a 57 streightleg ridgid frame raked 1/4 over/8" over springer I got in a basket for $ 350.00 at age 14. Myself, my father, and several of our family friends hepled me get her up. She had no front brake, suecide cluch/jockey shifter, Joe Hunt magneto, and kick start only.
    I didn't even own a car until I got married when I was 20, and the biaatch got it when we divorced 9 months later. I didn't get another car until I crashed my bike in 89, and sold it when I was riding again in 93. Then got another car until I met the ole' lady in 2000.

Got my first bike(50 cc Indian 3 speed auto) At about 5yrs old. On dirt untill 16, Everywhere untill 22 and then licenced for street. Cant even guess how many miles and i'm only 34.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki sv650
    Ok, you got me with the first couple years of marriage...that drops me from the 6-10 to the 0-5 category. Oh, well. I didn't think I'd be riding during this season of life anyway, with a newborn son and not a lot of money. But now I work in the industry and it's part of the job!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    I started riding when I was sixteen and had a trail bike as my everyday transport and weekend dirt hack. Ended up in hospital when I was eighteen as the result of an encounter with a four wheel drive on a beach. Had seven operations to put me back together and save my right leg. After recuperating for another year I raced motorcross and enduros for a few years and even raced a motocross trike(ATC 250).Then found it a bit expensive so stopped racing and drifted away from bikes. Got married and had kids but never lost the want for another bike. Finally last year at the ripe young age of 51 sucumbed to the urge and brought my M50. My only regret is that I waited so long. Whilst my experience has been mostly dirt related I have found the transition to road riding has been a natural progression and the principals are very similar. I have never had any formal training but I do believe that you are never to old to learn and I love talking to other riders and getting pointers. I have mentioned on another post that a DVD well worth getting is A Twist of the Wrist. It is done by a bloke who has trained some of the top racing riders and is an invaluable piece of info.

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    40 years legaly on the road and a couple years before that riding to school etc before I was old enough to get a license.
    Counting off road and that first minibike I got in 1966 it's 46 years total.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links