First day on forum
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    Honda 1999 ACE

First day on forum

Just found this great forum! Hello, from 24th street/6th Ave in Manhattan. I haven't had a bike for 10 years or so. Had three or four prior to that the last one being an 1000 Kawasaki. Started with a Honda 605 Nighthawk and had a Honda Magna as well. I'm in the process of getting a NYS MC licence. Just bought a Red/Black 1999 Honda ACE in beautiful condition with 10K miles. It would probably been smart to start up again with a 750, but of course I fell in love and felt very comfortable with the bike when I tested it out. The previous super "good guy" owner is keeping the bike for me in his garage in NJ until I can get my license and finally get the bike. The waiting time in NY to take your driving MC test is about 5-6 weeks once you get your permit, which I did last week. I've already registered the bike and got insurance etc.

I should be more nervous than I am about 1)Owning a bike in NYC (and not getting it stolen) and 2) Riding a MC in NYC. I've been riding a regular pedal bike in NYC for five years on a daily basis (April through Dec) and trust me, it can't be any worse riding a MC through the city vs. the regular bike....every block can be an experience....but to be truthful, that's why I like it.

Anyone here from NYC with any tips on riding through the tunnels/bridges in and out of the city? Haven't done that yet, but I have ordered my EZ-pass and holder to put on the bike etc.

I have an inside garage a block away from where I live where I will be parking the bike and I can park and retrieve the bike by myself. They never touch the bike....other than bang it around when I'm not there

Any other NYC advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long initial post and hello to all of you out there.........

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Dogs Best Friend(admin)
    My Bike(s)
    SOLD
    welcome Bob!

Mr. Threadjack
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Harley Road King - Black
    to M-J!

What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie? You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now. What happened to then? We passed then. When? Just now. We're at now now. Go back to then. When? Now! Now? Now! I can't. Why?
    We missed it. When? Just now. When will then be now? Soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2010 UltraGlide

from NB, Canada!

Sorry I can't help with any advice. You live in a completely different world than what I do!
    Keith

...trying to keep the up side up...

Vita incerta, mors certissima

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000

I've spend a good bit of time riding in the back of a cab in NY. It's as fun as any roller coaster I've ever been on. But a motorcycle? Wow!

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M109r
    I once watched a video of a bike courier and his helmet cam ripping through NYC during rush our traffic.....it was sick.

good luck to you dude, keep your melon on a swivle
    Please Note: All opinions contained herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

It's true that every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets its wings...
    But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap "snap", an Angel gets set on fire...

2009 Suzuki M109R * RoadBurner Velocity Pro 2-1 Exhaust * Kuryakyn Scythe Mirrors * Raw Designs adjustable lowering bones * OEM Zuki Engine Gaurds * National Cycle Vstream Tour Windsheild * GiPro ATRE w/ Gear Indicator

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    howdy, and that's from the member of the month!

you too, can someday reach this goal, heck, I made it.

Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    Honda 1999 ACE
    What's funny is that riding a MC is easy, you just have to watch for the pedestians popping out of between cars, skateboarders, roller bladers, swerving taxis and double parked everything. You pretty much drive like everyone else and for the most part obey all of the traffic rules. Now on a regular bike, you have all of the MC stuff plus you have to learn to ride in a bike lane that always is blocked, driving the wrong way into oncoming traffic (sometimes to save time or get somewhere, where it's the only way) and flying through intersections on red lights right through cars coming through that have green lights. I tried riding safely for about two years and almost got killed lot's of times. The traffic doesn't respect the weak. Four the last five or six years I just drive with the flow and the bike messengers....you can't even imagine what it's like, it's sort of crazy. But it is by far the fastest way to get anywhere in the city vs. cabs, cars or subway.

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    yo!
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Gordon Texas Latitude: 32.54833 Longitude: -98.36889

A TEXAS

HOWDY " " NEIGHBOR

Oh what a great trip!!!

• I ride a 2006 Suzuki C50T Boulevard.

• The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

• This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 30 seconds.
    I KNOW THE VOICES ARE NOT REAL
    But sometimes they have good ideals!
    Ride Safe, Ride Long, & Have Fun
    http://www.gordontexas.net/ http://www.gordonvfd.com/
    Benjamin Franklin> They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1751147.html

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Black
    to M-J Bob!

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    02' volusia

From Wisconsin!!!!!

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Welcome to the forum

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki Bandit S
    M50 SOLD