VERY New Motorcycle Rider / Owner
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Cool VERY New Motorcycle Rider / Owner

Short Intro:

I'm Steve, 35 Years old, just got into motorcycles. Been interested in them and wanting to get one for years, just now recently had a little extra income to just say "%%%% it" and buy one. I took the PA Rider Course, a free course providing classroom and riding instruction (I rode a dirt bike once or twice when I was a lot younger, and grew up on a quad). And my first two vehicles were manuals, so I knew a little about shifting and the clutch and how to try and not stall. I passed the course on my first try (my buddy failed and passed the second time), I guess I just picked it up pretty easily.

Anyway, I got a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50. I knew nothing about it but I took it for a spin (before my final test and barely any riding experience, which was SCARY!) and I liked it a LOT. I liked the sound and how smooth the ride was. I always knew that when I eventually got a bike I wanted a cruiser. So I bought it last Spring and have only rode a few times, partly because of my inexperience and fear but also because of the weather. I'm looking forward to learning more as I go and falling more in love with riding. I'll take ANY and ALL tips you have for a very green and inexperienced user. I literally know nothing about motorcycles and just bought one without knowing anything about it. I mean I didn't even know how to take the seat off!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Welcome !!

Maintenance items that might need attention:
    A healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in with the gas......to clean the carb out, or injectors if it has them.
    Oil and filter if what's in it is a year old or more.
    Check the date code on the tires. If they are more than 7 years old, you need new ones........regardless of how good they look.
    Maybe a battery too, if it sat very long without riding much or at all.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Welcome !!

Maintenance items that might need attention:
    A healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in with the gas......to clean the carb out, or injectors if it has them.
    Oil and filter if what's in it is a year old or more.
    Check the date code on the tires. If they are more than 7 years old, you need new ones........regardless of how good they look.
    Maybe a battery too, if it sat very long without riding much or at all.
    Thanks for the help! It didn't go more than 3 weeks without me starting and running it. It sat outside but covered under my back deck all winter, with a cover on also. I do know it's a newer battery also so should be good. I'll check out the other stuff. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Welcome Steve.

My advice is. 1: always ride to your abilities. 2: Always assume the other road user hasnt seen you or will ignore you....esp if you are approaching a junction where they have to yeild...I am always super cautious in these instances slow down and cover my brakes.

It is a good idea to get into the habit of canceling your indicators...nothing worse than approacing any junction with an indicator flashing and no intention of turning while someone is waiting to pull out. I tend to watch their wheels as I approach you will see them begin to move much faster than the vehicle movement but dont fixate on them...always remain aware of what else is going on around you.

The problem with riding experience is... it is gained by riding in the very places you need it. You can practice low speed riding and turns in vacant parking lots etc. I recommend riding the rear brake slightly as it tends to smooth out low throttle response and gives more control on speed.

good luck
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 04-07-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Welcome to the bike club Steve! We all start somewhere!

Sponsored Links